Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
radiator fan question

I still haven't fixed my minor issues, but now I have a bigger one, on my 83 944. The radator fan isn't spinning at all and keeps blowing fuses. I searched the forum, but haven't actually found a straight answer to this yet.

I haven't ran a 12 volt straight to it yet, thats the plan for my next day off. My question is, how easily should the fan spin, when not running? I can spin the AC fan by hand with little to no effort, but the radiator fan, I actually have to push hard on to get it move. I'm thinking the fan is locked up.

if the fan is supposed to be harder to move(I don't think I'm that lucky), I'll check into the thermo switch first, but I'm fairly sure I need a new fan motor. Opinions please.
Old 04-14-2005, 01:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to fast924S
Both fans should spin easily by hand, Sounds like your fan has burned out. If you do run 12volts to the motor be careful because with the motor burned out (like it seems to be) the +12V live feed wire will got hot fast.
Old 04-14-2005, 01:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
The front bearings in the early fans seize up. You can take the fans apart and replace the front bearings but you have to be darn careful with the slanted brushes this motor design uses. Think I posted some pictures and parts numbers a year or so ago. Do a search on "fan bearing" and by user id "socal driver".

Better yet to find a set of the later six bladed fans and just replace what you have there.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 04-14-2005, 03:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I picked up a used fan for a few dollars off this forum, and replaced it. Problem seems solved. I think I will check into replacing the bearing in the old one, just to have a spare lying around. Thanks guys.

This was probably posted from my phone, so please excuse any typos.
Old 04-24-2005, 07:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
3 bladed or 6 bladed?
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 04-24-2005, 07:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: