Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MikeCT
968s

I was looking up photos of 968s tonight and I think I fell in love. What a beautiful car.

I don't know too much about them or if they even made a turbo rs but it is a nice picture.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull. - W. C. Fields
Old 04-14-2005, 10:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

They made about 15 factory turbo rs 968s, I believe. They did not offer a turbo option on the 968 because it had the potential to, er, embarrass the flagship 911 twin turbo at the time.

Or at least so the Porsche folklore goes...

-Mark
Old 04-15-2005, 01:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

A dark 968 6 speed with light interior is my holy grail.... I want one so bad.. its the reason why I work so damn hard...
Stone Grey
Aero Mirrors
Full engine rebuild July 2007
Old 04-15-2005, 02:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Hey Mark

Sorry to contradict you, but there were only four factory Turbo RS cars built. In Australia, Fitzgerald Racing also built four "authentic" clones and various others have made copies. Here's the link:
http://www.968turbo.homestead.com/

Cheers
Rob
PS Porsche made 15 Turbo S 968s, which is probably what you're thinking of....

Last edited by Rob in Oz; 04-15-2005 at 03:37 AM..
Old 04-15-2005, 03:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob in Oz
Hey Mark

Sorry to contradict you, but there were only four factory Turbo RS cars built. In Australia, Fitzgerald Racing also built four "authentic" clones and various others have made copies. Here's the link:
http://www.968turbo.homestead.com/

Cheers
Rob
PS Porsche made 15 Turbo S 968s, which is probably what you're thinking of....
hi Rob,

OK, if you're the "Rob in Oz" I think you are, you'd know, but you are _really_ going to get the Porsche police knocking on your door if you insist on publishing all this top secret proprietary info on the web...

-Mark

(PS: I think you've got my latest copy of "Porsche News", that now infamous p-car scandle sheet.)

Last edited by Mark944na86; 04-15-2005 at 05:34 AM..
Old 04-15-2005, 05:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Numerous people have built 16V turbo 968's (factory 968 turbos used the 951 8V head) The 16V turbos can be much more powerful than the factory 968 turbo RS. Powerhaus will build you one for $25K (you supply the stock 968) they claim over 400HP at the wheels, which would be high 400's at the crank. If you've ever driven a 968, it's pretty quick already. Very hard to imagine what it would be like with double the HP.

The lower air dam, rear adjustable wing, and NACA ducts are all available. The front bumper with the larger center opening, can be had, but hard to find and REALLY expensive.

Even a completely stock 968 is an incredible car. I drove mine to work today, and was able to open it up on the 4-mile long entrance road to work.

'92 968
'01 VW Jetta TDi
Old 04-15-2005, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to auh
I like how the two hood scoops look. And I was wondering why Porsche didn't use VarioCam on this car. I would think VarioCam would be on the Turbo RS and the 8v would be on Turbo S. Porsche is very confusing sometimes
Old 04-15-2005, 07:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

My guess for Porsche not using the Variocam on the turbos was probably because it would have required too much engineering, and too many custom parts, just to sell a few cars. it was probably significantly cheaper to take pre-existing parts, and modify them in a factory customizing shop, than it would be to design and fabricate new parts from scratch.

The 951 head was probably the cheapest way to drop the compression to the level required for boost. Otherwise it would have required new pistons, and possibly other parts. A custom turbo intake would have to have been designed to fit the 968 head, as the stock 968 intake fills up the space where the turbo sits. It also appears in pictures, like the 968 turbo RS uses the barn-door style MAF, vs the Hot-wire MAF used in the non-turbo 968. I suspect this means the 968 turbo probably uses a 951 DME and engine electronics system. Probably no spare outputs to run a variocam, and also maybe no reprogramming of the DME.

Of course, all of this is pure speculation, but it seems reasonable to me.

'92 968
'01 VW Jetta TDi
Old 04-15-2005, 10:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Porsche Crest

The red 968 turbo rs in the the picture is one of the nicest ive ever seen... I would go to great lengths for that car
Old 04-15-2005, 10:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to fast924S
I agree I totally love the 968, I also love the 951. I would think all the dyno time needed to get the vario cam working well with the turbo's spool up and boost would also be alot more $$$$$, Would be cool to see a 3.0L 16v vario cam turbo
Old 04-15-2005, 08:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark944na86
hi Rob,

OK, if you're the "Rob in Oz" I think you are, you'd know, but you are _really_ going to get the Porsche police knocking on your door if you insist on publishing all this top secret proprietary info on the web...

-Mark

(PS: I think you've got my latest copy of "Porsche News", that now infamous p-car scandle sheet.)
Mark

Could there really be another??? (Rob inOz, that is...). Yes, have to watch what I say these days - loose lips sink ships !
Don't have your mag but have lots more if you want one

Cheers
Rob
Old 04-15-2005, 11:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

BTW, here's a pic of "Sir" Frank's Fitzgerald Turbo RS in action at Queensland Raceway...enjoy!

Rob

Last edited by Rob in Oz; 04-15-2005 at 11:48 PM..
Old 04-15-2005, 11:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: