Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

how much power?

I am just wondering how much money and power the following would produce and cost

Preformance cam
wilks chip
cat delete

ball park figures are great

I don't want to make my 83 a rocket but would love 15 extra hp!!!

Old 04-21-2005, 07:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
The later 944 cams will give you a couple of more HP's. Just has a tad bit longer exhaust opening. Guess something a bit more aggressive could add about 5 HP. Wilks chip smooths out the torque curve meaning it puts back the missing HP. CAT delete is supposed to do a couple.

Danno remarked that matching the intakes to the head and doing a little triming here and there will add some HP's too. As the 83 has the cast iron headers possibly you could pick up a few more there. Although in most cases you just move the HP around rather than adding more.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 04-21-2005, 08:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Adjustable cam-gear! The sweet-spot is about 8-10 degrees retarded. Adds +5hp in stock configuration alone. There are ways to do this with the stock components, as many of the 944-spec racers may hint at... I don't know anything about this really..
Old 04-22-2005, 01:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I see companies build race motors for 944na how much power do these make. I am willing to spend 3grand and would love to get 200hp or so I think that is all the stock drive train can handle.

Any more info about cams???
Old 04-22-2005, 02:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to SlowToady
Bula,

Broadfoot Racing builds 944 engines that look, and I've heard perform, very nicely. Unofrtunately, 3K will get you about a stock rebuild, and that's it. No fun toys I think the NA engines, with the right componets, can make much more power than they came with stock, but it's extremely expensive.

Danno,

Adj-cam gears really help on a stock NA, huh? I was thinking about getting one from Lindsey Racing, but I didn't know if it would actually *do* anything since my engine isn't modded.

Fakelife.com Nothing to do with archery anymore. Porsche/BMW/Ferrari/Honda videos
Old 04-23-2005, 08:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to fast924S
Bluechip, Get the Fr-wilk PP2, Get A header and A WEB Cam and as Danno said a Adjustable cam gear to help tune your valve timming and Im sure you will be very happy with the outcome

I have been searching for a great cam and so far its eather JM or WEB CAM. Also Danno has many prducts in R&D so I bet if you wait he will come up with some sweet stuff and right about now I trust Danno and his stuff more then anyone elses.

Also the lindsay cam gear is ok But it seems like they dont know how do take measurments before they build things because installing the cam gear requires you to mill the back of the cam gear housing to make it fit.
Which Im not a big fan of doing.

Price for the upgrading

Fr-wilk chip est. $300
Header- $250 (bursch with cat sub pipe)
cam - $450 with $150 core charge (WEB CAMS)
Adjustable cam gear - $300 (lindays racing, I dont know of any others yet)

Total cost $1300, est Hp gain 10-20hp, Improvements- More power More usable torque curve, better throttle response = More FUN!!!!
Old 04-23-2005, 09:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

"but I didn't know if it would actually *do* anything since my engine isn't modded."

Well, the adjustable cam-gear is a mod. There are four valve-events: exhaust-open, exhaust-close, intake-open, intake-close. By far the most important of all these is the intake-close. By varying the time when the intake closes, you change the flow-characteristics of the engine. Typically early intake closing favors low-RPM torque in the mid-range and late closing increases high-RPM HP. More overlap also helps scavenging for high-RPM HP, which requires a new cam. Basic hot-rod tricks... our cars are very, very similar to SBC engines.

"I am willing to spend 3grand and would love to get 200hp or so I think that is all the stock drive train can handle."

It's really the torque that kills the tranny, and how sharply the torque builds. You can get 200hp, but it's gonna cost more than $3k. Once you've done all the mods that fast924S listed, it's onto boring and stroking the motor out to 3.0L:

- S2/968 pistons $800-1200
- S2/968 crank $2000-2500
- machine-shop services $900-1200
- installation $2500-3000
- dyno-tuning and chip-mapping $800-1200

There's a race-car that comes out to Willow Springs a lot with the POC/PCA and NASA groups. It's a 3.1L and gets about 210rwhp, about 245bhp at the crank or +100hp over a stock 944. Costs about $15k to build that engine. I've also seen a team of mechanics change headgaskets on it three times in one day at the track too...

I still like nitrous...

Last edited by DannoXYZ; 04-23-2005 at 10:53 AM..
Old 04-23-2005, 10:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
That Guy

Garage
Just curious, how much HP and/or TQ difference (or how much different would the car feel) would you expect to see using the adjustable cam and/or a modified camshaft. Just food for thought...
Past worth mentioning - 1987 924S, 1987 944, 1988 944T with 5.7L LS1
Old 04-23-2005, 11:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I don't know too much about engine modifications or mechinical work in general. What is involved with installing a new cam? is this something that I can be talked through or should it be done by someone who knows what they are doing
Old 04-23-2005, 11:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Typically a cam is the very last part you upgrade. It would be customized for all your previous mods: intake, exhaust, valve-size, head-porting, pistons and compression. A high-compression engine needs different cam-specs than a low one. Throwing a high-duration cam on a low-compression engine will only get you partial benefits. So... on a stock motor, maybe +5-7hp from a cam-upgrade, +10-20hp on a built motor.

Cam-installation isn't too difficult. If you can do the timing-belts, you can do a cam as the belts is the tougher of the two:

1. set engine at TDC
2. remove belt-covers, loosen timing-belt tension pulley, pull off cam-gear
3. unbolt tower
4. remove tower
5. remove lifers, cam-gear and cam
6. insert new cam, gear and align cam to TDC
7. install lifters
8. install cam-tower on car
9. redo timing-belts.
10. turn over by hand a couple times to verify alignmetn

That's it.
Old 04-23-2005, 11:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

also what kind of a difference in preformance would these mods and 20 extra hp make? Would it be noticeable?
Old 04-23-2005, 11:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Yeah, you'd barely be able to feel it. Car will be slightly faster up on top, slighly slower down low. You'll need a stopwatch to measure before & after differences. Might take 0.75s off your 0-60 times and 1/4-mile times, just outside of the human-error factor of 0.5s. NA motors being what they are, the best you can hope for is a VE=1, perfect flow into the engine with zsero restrictions. But only at a narrow powerband at that. That 210hp 3.1L 944 I mentioned earlier only works between 5500-7000rpm.

The NA cars are nice and fun and should'nt be expected to be monsters. You'll never take down a Mustang 5.0L or a Viper, even a RSX will kick your butt. So just enjoy its handling and response. Boost and a 951 is the only way to get substantial amounts of power for your money. For the same $15k as that 3.1L 944NA, you can have something that puts out power like this:

As low as 2500rpm, it puts out TWICE the torque of a 944NA and that torque grows to 3.5-TIMES the torque of an NA in only 1000rpms. Talk about shredding-your-tires, slam-you-through-the-back-seat torque. This is what you need if you want to take on the Mustangs and Vipers...
Old 04-23-2005, 12:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to fast924S
Well with a better and more usable torque curve it will be noticable. Its the torque that you feel not the HP. As danno noted, swapping cams isnt that hard to do. I think you will be happy with the upgrades I listed, it will make the car alot more zippy and fun but it wont be any Big Block smoke show.

Old 04-23-2005, 12:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: