Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
Update

Hey all,
I haven't been around in awhile because we are in the process of moving, and I have scarce Internet access. Hope everyone is doing well...

well, right around when we started moving, the unthinkable happened. Despite replacing it about 2 years ago, and retensioning it just a few months ago, my timing belt broke. Apparently there was an oil leak into the area, or something to that effect.

Anyhow, the mechanical damage was minimal... only one bent valve, I believe. The machine shop wasn't too expensive, and I managed to find replacement parts rather cheaply. So this won't end up costing me too incredibly much to fix... just time.

To be honest, I am getting a little tired of the problems... the car gave me practically no problems for about four years, but within six months it's needed a head gasket, a water pump, a replaced DME and 02 sensor, and now this. Hopefully this will be the last major repair for a LONG time...

Car should be ready by Monday afternoon.

Anyhow, did I miss anything good?
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 05-26-2005, 10:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
You missed the saga of "The Search for FR Wilk".
Old 05-26-2005, 11:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to bryanthompson Send a message via AIM to bryanthompson Send a message via Yahoo to bryanthompson
Sad to hear about your belt prob, but it sounds like you've got it handled without much of an issue.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
damn those fudge pops......
Old 05-26-2005, 12:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

poor kitty

2008 Mini Cooper // '83 Porsche 944 // '01 Mazda Protege [sold] //
"Never break more than you fix!" - SoCal Driver
Old 05-26-2005, 01:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan in Pasadena
You missed the saga of "The Search for FR Wilk".
Um, no.
I've only been gone for about a month. Wilk has actually been in touch with me in the time that I've been gone.
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 05-27-2005, 06:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Feelin' Solexy

So the oil leaked onto the belt and weakened it? If there was an oil leak, where was it from? Was it hard/expensive to fix?
Concerned parties want to know!
Old 05-27-2005, 07:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to bryanthompson Send a message via AIM to bryanthompson Send a message via Yahoo to bryanthompson
probably a balance shaft seal... Those are pretty easy, and he doesn't sound too concerned, so that's what I'm betting on.
Old 05-27-2005, 07:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
that sounds about right... like I said, the belt did break, but when the mechanic finished his diagnosis, he kind of breathed easy and started the conversation with "well, I have some good news"...

i actually might not get the car back until late next week; my mechanic cuts me breaks because it used to be his car, and he is a sort of old friend-of-the-family, so he is getting to it when he has time, and as an exchange he is giving me a break on labor costs. Same deal back when I had my clutch done.

So the car will be ready for summer, and the next PP meet... assuming nothing else goes wrong...
Old 05-27-2005, 12:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Got the car back yesterday....

I don't think it's ever run so well. It feels like driving a new sports car, which I suppose makes sense because the engine was practically rebuilt.

Anyhow, I am now a very very very happy camper.

So, when is the next PP get-together?
Old 06-03-2005, 06:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Glad to see things are going better CJ. I had a good bit of piece of mind after my rebuild. Because of the oil seal leaks I would have been headed for the same fate as you even if I changed the belt in time.

Mine is still running relatively problem free as a daily driver (ex has my truck for now).

Old 06-03-2005, 08:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: