Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

no oil pressure

During the process of trying to fix my cooling fans, i turned on the car, the oil light was on and the gage didn't move. When i first got the car the pressure gage was always on 5. I read that this could mean a bad sending unit. This same problem happened a few months ago, i didn't have any oil pressure. I cleaned the connections on the oil pressure sending unit and it was fixed. When i saw the light come on this time i checked the connections and let the car run for a little thinking the pressure would eventually read because sometimes it takes a few seconds for the oil light to go off. The light stayed on so i shut off the car and tried again later, the light still stayed on.

Is this a bad sending unit, how do i tell? or should i be worried about bigger problems? How long would a car run with no pressure before something bad happens?

Old 05-27-2005, 12:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Mein Gott!

Garage
Did you check the condition of the wires leading to the sending unit themselves? One could be toast. Any other noises when this happened?

Regardless, do a checklist of things to check before you EVER run it again.................
1972 Triumph TR6 - 100% trouble free between breakdowns
2003 BMW 325xi
Old 05-27-2005, 02:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

The car seemed to be running fine. It may of been clicking a little more than usual or I may of just been spooked by the low pressure reading. Is there a way to test the sending unit?
Old 05-28-2005, 02:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Mein Gott!

Garage
Hmm. The only way I know of would be to swap out/change the sending unit altogether. They go for about $40, but a few people on this board have done this and it fixed everything. I'd give it a try.
1972 Triumph TR6 - 100% trouble free between breakdowns
2003 BMW 325xi
Old 05-28-2005, 02:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

you can install a mechanical gauge in plae of the sending unit and that would tell you if your getting the correct reading. more than likely you do have pressure since your not getting a sound of a box of rocks.
87 924s....don't let the door hit ya
68 912.......see ya!
Old 05-28-2005, 03:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

well i primed the oil pump and had pressure. but when i was checking the oil level the oil on the dipstick looked milky. could this be from the new oil i primed the oil pump with mixing with the old oil, or something else?
Old 05-31-2005, 10:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Oil\coolant mixing up.

Check your coolant tank and see if you have a milkshake in there.

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 05-31-2005, 05:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to FLA944 Send a message via Yahoo to FLA944
Sounds like cooler seal time!
has never left garage (yet)
Old 06-01-2005, 06:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I could see a little oil in the coolant tank. But now the oil pressure is not coming up when i start it, again. I'm going to try to prime the oil pump again since that fixed it last time but I'm still not sure about that gauge. could this be a sign of a bad pump if it keeps loosing its prime?
Old 06-01-2005, 01:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Sounds like oil cooler / oil pressure regulator problems. You shouldn't have oil in the coolent. Or coolent in the oil. The one place these tend to mix is in the oil cooler galley because of blown seals. Also the 83's oil pressure regulator tends to stick. Needs to be replaced with a newer unit.

Don't drive it or run it for any length of time with no oil pressure. You will be rebuilding it!
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 06-01-2005, 02:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Oil pressure regulator?

I cant seem to find that part. do you mean the relief valve?
Old 06-01-2005, 04:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Yeap. Had fuel pressure on my mind from another thread.
The 83 has a threaded plug, spring and piston very similar to the early VW's. The piston gets gummed up or debrie stuck in it. Best to get the replacement assembly that has everything in a brass barrel. A bit pricy.

New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 06-01-2005, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: