Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to FLA944 Send a message via Yahoo to FLA944
Thumbs up FRWilk salutations

Just received the power prom and adapter from FR and he even included a wrist strap, very forward thinking. except the Dilbert sticker was a little over the edge

Will not be installing for a while, the money pit (house) still needs some work after the winds last year and my travelling schedule has been murder since last year. Well, made to Gold on Delta may make Platinum this year and now presidents Club with Hertz, I wish they had caddies instead of those horrible lincolns.

Still gotta pull the dash out to replace the hoses to the heater core.(what a pia)(why i called it quits for a while).Got the intake etc. still off to make it easier. next investment is strut assemblies and shocks (still trying to determine Koni or Bilstein)

Bought a new truck a 2005 Silverado 2500HD with 6Liter and locking rear end. My old 95 S10 with 59,000 miles would have cost more to fix then was worth. The ABS went out (crappy kelsey hayes '94 era) and the AC system needed replacing.

Well, that's all to update ya i know I haven't been here a while except to scan the post.

See ya,
Rick

has never left garage (yet)
Old 05-31-2005, 02:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Let me get this straight. Your S10 with only 59,000 miles is costing more than it is worth to fix..... And you buy another chebby. I don't understand.

"Don't retreat, reload." Sarah Palin
Old 05-31-2005, 02:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to SlowToady
Quote:
Let me get this straight. Your S10 with only 59,000 miles is costing more than it is worth to fix..... And you buy another chebby. I don't understand.
You're not suprised, are you? I guess Chevys and Porsches do have something in common...

Fakelife.com Nothing to do with archery anymore. Porsche/BMW/Ferrari/Honda videos
Old 05-31-2005, 04:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by SlowToady
[B]

You're not suprised, are you? I guess Chevys and Porsches do have something in common...
I disagree. If I had a Porsche with failures like that at that low of mileage, it would get kicked to the curb and I would question ever owning another one.

My 944 (87 na) has 185k miles on it. Other than 15k belt inspections, 30k replacements and oil changes/tune-ups, it has caused me ZERO problems. Nothing has ever failed, broke or left me stranded. I have never charged the AC in that time and it will freeze you out of the car. In the 5 years I have owned it my biggest job was the prep for a paint job. I have never changed the clutch, head gasket or water pump. I do regular mantainence only. And I auto-x, TSD rally and hill climb the car. I took 1st last saturday in the Bogus Basin HillCimb in Boise (class P2).

My 74 914 is the same way. A lot less to fail, but none the less dead stone reliable. It gets 3k mile oil changes/valve adjustments and regular checkups, but that is it. Starts every time it is needed to kick the crap out of some 911s on the auto-x course...

Old 06-01-2005, 05:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

The S10 was a real pos from the day I bought it. The '94 series had extensive ABS problems,engine management problems and wiper problems. The '94s were covered under warranty the '95s were not, even that they had the same problems. Mine was mfg. in sep. 94 and must have shared the '94 components. Sux to be me. I had the dealer do most of the service and hoped that the lot monkey would crash it into a wall or new car but Murphy's law kicked in and the brakes were intermittent only for me. They would work 100% if you double pumped which I always did. It is the dealers problem now well, someone else's. I bought the new truck on a Friday they had my S10 sold that saturday. I doubt they fixed it even that their service department had it documented. If you see a white '95 S10 extended cab with a fiberglass topper behind you, scream and let him get in front of you!

The 944 on the other hand, after putting together the first time started flawlessly and ran like a champ with only the bouncing of the RPM which Wilk's chip will correct. the only issue with the 44 is that it was an abused child and the previous wrenching was done by blind stupid fool that AFjuvat can attest to as well (he's seen it). i have finished most of the drivetrain except for the clutch (later) and will move on to the suspension, interior, then bodywork and will be returned to 100% (I like things done right and do not care how long it takes) I like the car.

The new truck is a different animal altogether. The 6th year of this bodystyle and drivetrain and no recalls. Its a 3/4 ton extended cab 8ft bed 6liter 300+ HP 350+ torque and i use it when I need a truck. I should only put no more tha 4K miles per year and estimate keeping for 15 years.

Rick
Old 06-01-2005, 06:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

FLA944, please take no offence to my "anti-chebby" comments. I was just being mildly offensive.... The S-10's have never had a good reputation and have been known to be of shoddy reliablity. Full sized trucks are about the only US car I would consider owning. Had an 88 full sized bronco with the 300 I-6 that was bullet proof. Put well over 300k on that one with very few issues.

Old 06-01-2005, 06:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to bigyagi
re: wrist strap! yup, many a good chip/sensitive electronic part has been wasted thru static electricity. always a good idea, to ground ones self with a strap.
bob.
2002 grand am--better halfs ride.
olds 98 royal brougham--gone, but not forgotten.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to pokey
My '84 Chebby has over 350,000 miles on it, and still runs like a champ. 6.2 l diesel, 700R4 tranny, stepside shortbox, no AC, 1/2 ton, 22 mpg hauling approx. 800 lbs of tools and gear daily.
1955 BMW R69
1999 Range Rover Callaway #011 of 220 (Yeah, as in Callaway Corvette...)
Old 06-01-2005, 10:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to will944
Re: FRWilk salutations

Quote:
Originally posted by FLA944
Bought a new truck a 2005 Silverado 2500HD with 6Liter and locking rear end.
drool......I want one of those so bad....
87 951
C3 Stingray
Old 06-02-2005, 03:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Jay,

No offense taken at all. The late S10s do have alot of issues. I only bought it because I had an early '85 S10 4x4 Camper Special the only 3/4 Ton S10 ever made with a Fisher plow and was the best truck i ever owned. When moved from MA sold to a buddy and he loved it. He moved to FL and I bought it back and is now the farm truck at my mom's house.

Rick
Old 06-02-2005, 04:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Cars & Coffee Killer

I bought and '85 S10 last June with 40,000 miles on it. IIRC, it had a 2.4L FI inline 4. 4 speed manual. Rust everywhere. It lasted me 3 months before it died a horrible death.

"There is freedom in risk, just as there is oppression in security."
Old 06-02-2005, 05:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to will944
My family has had great luck w/ S10s in the past. We've had....jeez....7 or so from the pre-95 era. I think they're awesome trucks! Yes...rust is a problem....but the vortec motor was bulletproof!
87 951
C3 Stingray
Old 06-02-2005, 10:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I think the bad experiences I had with the S-10 centered around the 2.8 V6. It was horrible in every way.

Old 06-06-2005, 04:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: