Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

cooling fans come on when ac turned on?

I've owned this 84 944 for almost a year and for some reason as soon as I turn on the AC the cooling fans come on and will stay on even if the temp is below the first line, and will not go off until I turn the AC off. The fans operate normally when the AC is not used coming on about 2/3's the way up and shut off at about the first line. All the wiring to both systems seems to be in good shape, so I don't think its a short, maybe in the relays or fuse box? If anyone has heard of this or might know what it is help please, I'm sure this is causing excess wear on my fans. So now I only turn the AC very rarely and not for more than a couple of minutes.

Old 07-23-2005, 06:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to FLA944 Send a message via Yahoo to FLA944
That is normal. On all cars when the AC is turned on the fans will come on. The AC Condenser needs constant air flow for the AC to work properly
has never left garage (yet)
Old 07-23-2005, 06:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

yea i was a bit surprised when i found out too...here in nor cal it gets so hot and my A/C's broken...so i just turn on the knob to cool down my engine :-P. i hate watching the water temp go to the 3rd line.
Old 07-23-2005, 08:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

It's not good to run the AC for an extended period in stop-and-go traffic. That puts an extra load on the idling engine, and it defeats the purpose of using the extra fan to cool the engine down.
Old 07-23-2005, 10:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the info. Wish there was a way to defeat this, but I was thinking of deleting the AC anyways since this my project car.
Old 07-23-2005, 02:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard

Quote:
Originally posted by yellowline
It's not good to run the AC for an extended period in stop-and-go traffic. That puts an extra load on the idling engine, and it defeats the purpose of using the extra fan to cool the engine down.
Bull.

The extra fan, as stated, is _not_ to cool down the engine but to maintain constant airflow across the A/C condensor in order for the A/C to remain functional. The additional load is negligible and there should be no effect on the coolant temperature unless you're talking about 120+ degree days and even then it shouldn't take it near the red zone. There are two fans, a low-speed and a high-speed fan, and the A/C should only engage the low-speed fan. The added heat generated by the A/C system is far outweighed even by the low-speed fan.

I run A/C a lot in my 951 and even idling in stopped traffic on I-5 it never gets more than a needle-width above the first white tic-mark.

Aaron
Guards Red 1986 951 <- Seattle car (Gretchen)
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 07-23-2005, 05:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

meister member

Garage
use my air conditioning switch to turn on my fans when it is hot out. I turn them on when I am braking or sitting at a stop and go light.
Favorite Road = www.tailofthedragon.com 318 turns in 11 miles (11 min 20 sec best run)
Old 07-24-2005, 04:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to todwic Send a message via Yahoo to todwic
Quote:
Originally posted by AaronM
you're talking about 120+ degree days and even then it
Aaron
Yep, that's nor-cal. Hey, XxKHxX , what part of cal? I'm in Fres-omg is it stupid hot-no. I guess you'd call it more "Mid-Cal", but I'm not a native and I'll use the *-Cal terms fast and loose. A mexican (read: migrant worker) dropped dead in the pepper patch. a mexican from mexico where I assume it's even hotter than it is here (again, not a native). Dead. Man it's freakin hot out there! I was drilling in a (fruit) orchard. No wind, short trees (read: no shade). omg. hot.
'86 951
Providing ignorance one post at a time.
Old 07-30-2005, 04:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to todwic Send a message via Yahoo to todwic
Today's my B-day, btw. Happy B-days are in order, and gifts will be accepted.
'86 951
Providing ignorance one post at a time.
Old 07-30-2005, 04:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Happy anniversary of your first day breathing oxygen!!

Old 07-30-2005, 10:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: