Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via Yahoo to neildeshpande
<944 NA> Occasional Hard Start, Dying at Stop Lights.

Gruppe:

My 87 944 NA has a new coil, new cap+rotor, new wires, new plugs, freshly cleaned injectors (Cruzin Performance in Detroit), new fuel pump, new fuel filter, new air filter, new crank speed sensor and new DME relay. I received the car dead and then running poorly and now it is a pretty good daily driver that runs smoothly.

The car runs well and starts well most of the time. However, sometimes it just won't start for about 30min. I can crank and crank, but extended cranking never seems to be the key. When it starts, it starts within a few secs of cranking.

Also, it sometime dies at stop lights. But, it has always started up again quickly in this case. Thank goodness!

Could it be idle control? Does idle control affect start? Any way I could check this? Any ideas are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Neil Deshpande
Old 07-25-2005, 06:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Check the adjustment of the speed/reference sensors. Also their connectors.

A bad/dirty idle bypass valve will result in a too high or to low idle. If your idle is too low after warm up then possibly.

How is the timing belt?
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 07-25-2005, 07:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Hugh:

Thanks!

I will check the sensors and their connectors. One of the connectors is broken, but I have it zip-tied pretty tight. The other one is new (since I replaced the sensor). I may take them apart, clean them out with contact cleaner and try and make better connections or something.

I think I have about 40-45k on the belts, waterpump, etc. I will be changing it out soon, but I would also like to do some head work when I do that. Get the valve guides redone to reduce oil burning primarily, but a good cleaning won't hurt. It isn't that much money and it is probably time.

Also, I think it is time for a new clutch and such and I'll probably shoot some paint this year. Repaired dings and prepped it last year so I've been driving it with matte paint on it this year!

Neil Deshpande
Old 07-25-2005, 07:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Best to fit a new timing belt than let it go any further. Don't have to do the rollers and waterpump. Just the timing and balance belts. 45k is stretching it. Better to have new belts and old rollers than an old broken belt and old rollers.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Hugh:

Well, I checked and one of the crank sensor plugs was splitting in the tail, making for intermittent contact. I will order a new sensor tomorrow. I have to order the sticky HVAC vacuum valve anyway so I'll just have both sent out. The car died on the way to work and amidst much honking I was able to get the hood open on the street and push the cracking connector together and get to work!

Thanks!

On the timing belt, what should I replace? I don't mind doing the labour again to safety the car and doing a comprehensive job 3-6mo down the line. Just the belts enough? What other parts? Is there a write-up somewhere that I can reference? To be honest, I thought the interval was 60k miles like on the BMWs. Thanks for telling me.

Neil Deshpande
Old 07-26-2005, 07:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Timing and balance belts are about $60. If the tension rollers (the ones with the grooves to match the belts) are smooth turning you can get away keeping them.

Check out www.clarks-garage.com

Also search here for the diagram I keep reposting. It shows the balance belt alignment.

You don't need a flywheel lock to do just the belts. Do disconnect the battery so the engine can't be cranked accidently.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: