Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Newbie With Questions

First things first.

Hi
I'm not an import guy but hey, I'll try anything once.
I'm more of a old school muscle guy, Here is my 68 Camaro RS/SS.
I have also owned a 99 Trans Am which I modified A LOT and drag raced it at the track. There are a lot of FREE or cheap modifications that can be done to those to gain some good horse power.

A good friend of mine who is NOT mechanically inclined, just GAVE me his 84 944. No rust, dents or dings. Yellow, manual tranny. It's in really great condition but he wants something new.
The only problem with it right now is a moon roof leak and it's over heating. He just doesn't want to deal with it.

My question is, can you point me to a source for information on bolt-on or cheap modifications that can be done to my new toy?
I'm just looking to give it a little more Uuummmpppffff.
I'm used to my built 454 4-Speed camaro.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to PhillysMostWntd
to fix it, buy a reseal kit for the sunroof, new water pump should solve the overheating i would believe (its a water cooled car after all)

performance - FR wilks adaptor board and power prom http://www.frwilk.com/944dme/ headers and exhaust.
that would probably solve your speed umpf
my924gtc and x3m944 are working on a supercharger, that should def. scratch your itch if the rest didnt

oh ya... and before i forget
check your belts
Old 08-03-2005, 10:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Cars & Coffee Killer

"There is freedom in risk, just as there is oppression in security."
Old 08-03-2005, 10:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I take it there is an inherent problem with the timing belt on the 84 944 huh?
Old 08-03-2005, 10:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Not really a problem.

Just have to make sure it is done and maintained.

Any new purchases should do the work unless you know the exact date it was done. Interference engine just like the 300z line.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Cars & Coffee Killer

I don't know that there is an inherent problem, but timing belt failures are much more severe on these cars than most others. At best, you will have one bent valve. At worst you will have 4 bent exhaust valves and damaged pistons.

"There is freedom in risk, just as there is oppression in security."
Old 08-03-2005, 11:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Ornery Bastard

Best case scenario you'll get maybe 130hp at the wheels from a modified NA. If you spend several thousand dollars on the engine alone, you might get 150 or so. At that point you'll be destroying R&Ps in the transaxle, so figure on changing over to a 951 transaxle at that point ($600 or so used). A 944 NA will never rival even a V6 Camaro in the straight line. Never. It'll be great in corners and a lot of fun but as far as "ummmph" goes unless you put a Chevy 350 under the hood (which has been done) it'll never even be remotely close to any Camaro.

Aaron
Guards Red 1986 951 <- Seattle car (Gretchen)
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 08-03-2005, 12:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
LOVE That 68' camaro. WOW.

The overheating issue can be a number of things.

1st thing - replace belts and check the condition of the rollers/tensioners for any wear. Check the roller on the waterpump at this time as well.

2nd - Bleed the coolant system and that may resolve your overheating issues. Unless your headgasket is on its way out.

Unfortunately you are not going to get the straight line performance you have in that 68' camaro..........but if you get this car in the right environment (long sweeping high speed turns)........they are truly a pleasure to drive.

Have fun with it.
www.edmontonrealestate.ws

Last edited by ae1969; 08-03-2005 at 03:07 PM..
Old 08-03-2005, 03:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to BananaClip
OR if you really want that 454 Uuummmpppffff you could take the somewhat unpopular option of putting in a 454.
just sayin
Old 08-03-2005, 04:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard

Quote:
Originally posted by BananaClip
OR if you really want that 454 Uuummmpppffff you could take the somewhat unpopular option of putting in a 454.
just sayin
I mentioned the Chevy 350. I don't think a 454 would fit. A 383 stroker would fit, but none of the big-blocks would be remotely easy. A hopped-up SBC would kick butt in a 944.

Aaron
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 08-03-2005, 04:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

See my responds to the Underengine tray question. My 1965 fastback mustang with its roadrace susp. and V-8 power or my 96 mustang GT that is set up for Auto-X will beat the heck out of my 924S on the straights, but under bracking and cornering the 924S will leave the other cars behind. Never saw that much fun in just going fast in a straight line. I enjoy the driving skill and balanced enginering need to attack a road course. Your 944 will never be blinding fast off the line like your camero ( by the way, nice car!). Keep coming back to this Tech.BBS and you should get lots of ideas to maintain and improve your 944. Did you know you can lower the upper A-arm on you 68 camero so more neg. camber can be dialed in? Really helps in the corners. Larry
Old 08-03-2005, 07:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies everyone.
Just found out the timing belt is new so that's good news.
So my first priority is the over heating problem. I'll have to find out from him HOW BADLY over heated he let it get and go from there.
I'm not looking for the kind of performance out of this that I get with my Camaro, just as long as the kids in the baggy pants, fart pipes and Honda's can't embarass me, I will be happy.
The car is really just going to be another weekend toy, no racing.
My daughter will need a car later this year, I may even give it to her.
Old 08-05-2005, 02:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

The overheating problem can be as simple as the cooling system needs to be bled to remove trapped air, or could be as bad as a head gasket, or radiator, or water pump.

I would try bleeding the cooling system first, because, well, it's free and easy. Pull the car somewhere so the front end is at least 6" or so higher than the rear. Find the water neck, where the top radiator hose attaches to the cylinder head. Sticking straight up in the water neck is a bolt that takes a 12mm wrench. Be carefull with it, the bolt is hollow, and it's sort-of fragile. remove this bolt, and start pouring coolant/water into the coolant tank, until coolant flows out the hole on top of the engine. This is a slow process, you'll have to be patient. If you don't want to wait, if you have some type of squirt-bottle, that you can shove in the bleed screw hole, use that to force coolant into the bleed hole, until there's no more air in the system. cap everything back up, and you should be ok. If it still overheats, but only when you're not moving, check to see if the fans are running.

Unless you're actually loosing coolant from the system, it's probably not the head gasket. If you want to check, the easiest way is to pull the plugs, and look into each cylinder with a flashlight. If any one or two of the cylinders look spotlessly clean, they might have coolant leaking into them.

Let us know what happens after you bleed the system, if it still overheats, we'll go on to the next troubleshooting step.

As far as power is concerned, it's really tough (read that: expensive) to get alot of power out of these motors. Remember that the 944 engine is 1/3 the size of your 454. It's already making roughly 1hp/cubic inch, which isn't bad for a 21 year old car. The parts that have been suggested are a good start. As far as being shown-up at stoplights, by kids in the hondas with the fart cans, it depends on how new their cars are. You're probably comparable with alot of them, but you're going to get beat by some. But.......one more thing to keep in mind. the transmissions on these cars really don't like repeated, hard launches from a stop. The cars are not really designed to do that, and you can damage your transmission by doing it too much.

I can't open the picture of your car here from work (blocked by some kind of corporate filter) but it sounds nice. I used to have a '71 firebird which i loved, but it didn't necessarily love me (it broke alot)

'92 968
'01 VW Jetta TDi
Old 08-05-2005, 08:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Thanks Mike,
That's the kind of help I need with this right now.
Working on this compared to the Old School carberated 454 or even the LS1 I had is a totally new experiance for me.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard

Quote:
Originally posted by mike944 As far as being shown-up at stoplights, by kids in the hondas with the fart cans, it depends on how new their cars are. You're probably comparable with alot of them, but you're going to get beat by some. But.......one more thing to keep in mind. the transmissions on these cars really don't like repeated, hard launches from a stop. The cars are not really designed to do that, and you can damage your transmission by doing it too much. [/B]
Seconded on both counts. The 944 NA is very good at teaching one to simply ignore the fart-piped Hondas. You should keep up with most Civics, but anything with a V6 will be showing you tail-lights and so will the higher-power 4's. And if you keep trying to wring all the acceleration out of it you can, you'll blow out the ring and pinion in short order.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by AaronM
The 944 NA is very good at teaching one to simply ignore the fart-piped Hondas.
True. Or you could just keep the car looking clean/generally impressive. I've seen ricers actually turn around in their seats while crossing through intersections, just to get a better look at my car. Many pedestrians will turn their heads for a second look. A yellow 944 isn't easy to find, either...it might be the one color that stands out more than Guards Red.

75% of the rice out there is all bark and no bite. Minivans slay them, although a good one will be too much for a 944 to handle.
WRXs, on the other hand, deserve a little respect. If you want to beat them, the Camaro might be a better tool for the job.

I really haven't seen many cars on the street that look better than the 944. So if you need a boost for your ego, that would probably be it.

Last edited by yellowline; 08-05-2005 at 10:30 AM..
Old 08-05-2005, 10:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to BananaClip
Quote:
Originally posted by yellowline
True. Or you could just keep the car looking clean/generally impressive. I've seen ricers actually turn around in their seats while crossing through intersections, just to get a better look at my car. Many pedestrians will turn their heads for a second look.\
Yes, they certainly do. For every time i get revved at, maybe 4 or 5 people will turn their heads and stare.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

can't believe you guys didn't tell him to get a frwilks chip, I believe he has a few left for the earlies.

get a frwilks chips.

These things are addicting....
Old 08-06-2005, 12:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to pokey
PhillysMostWanted did.
1955 BMW R69
1999 Range Rover Callaway #011 of 220 (Yeah, as in Callaway Corvette...)
Old 08-06-2005, 03:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by P0WER

My daughter will need a car later this year, I may even give it to her.

This is my baby, and myself...........Given to me by my husband to coax me into learning to drive, (i am 40 and was scared to death of cars)

Well.........................long story short We just "cruised" home down interstate @90 + and I own the road........lol

seriously the car is easy to drive, I feel safe, and my husband actually sleeps as I drive.

Most definatly give to daughter.
As for "power" only one name to mention FRWILK!!!!! i have a dual chipped DME and the difference is amazing, scared myself silly accidently flipped it on once, almost lost hold of wheel as I felt it go down in the rear, then wooosh we were off and runnin first time i ever drove past 105 actually LOL shhhhhhhhhhhh dont tell todwic i still slap his arm and tell him "slow down" when he drives hehee
Old 08-06-2005, 04:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: