Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Porsche Crest I hear you knocking

Hi new friends.

I am a new (used) Porsche owner and this is my first time on the forum so be gentle.

I just bought an '88 924S that is in near mint condition. Did I say bought I mean stole. The doctor my wife works for gave it to me for $650 because he didn't have room for it next to his new Lotus.

Anyway, the only problem I have found is that when I down-shift I get a thumping sound from the drivetrane. I can't localize it but I think it from around the tranny or it could be the shaft from the engine. It is only on down-shift except I hear a small "chunk" sound on up-shift. I took it to a local shade-tree Porsche mechanic and he said don't worry about it.

I checked the drive shafts and CVs, they seem solid. Any thoughts to help out a new member of the club.

s.herald

Old 09-20-2005, 03:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

rubber donut ????
hitting the metal " stops" ???

if so, a clutch may be in your immediate future, however, I drove on mine like that for 9 months of 200-400 miles a day until it finally went..

It was about $1900 for a shop to do it. Way cheaper if you do it yourself before it actually goes and you have no choice but to bendover ...

Congrats on the purchase btw, and you will find that there are a few things that every newly purchased P-Car needs to set your mind at ease ...

People will be asking you when the timing belt was last changed or tensioned etc ....

All in all once you get past the initial " wierd problems" you will love that car !!!

Good luck & Welcome

Don
Current Stable 944 83 Kalahari Beige manual rack, short 5th gear951 86 Guards Red, pristine TurboYou must not anger the Porsche Gods - you MUST leave one small item unrepaired, lest the Stuttgartians smite thine car with bad Ju-Ju-AF Juvat
Old 09-20-2005, 03:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

how many miles? on it?

coastal cruzer
Old 09-20-2005, 04:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Get ALL the records, FIND evidence of timing belt adjustment and replacement. Otherwise you must replace the timing belt to be sure of what you have, otherwise you're just rolling the dice with that cylinder head because if that timing belt break$ you're in for $ome real ca$h outlay. That' way you know what you have and you won't have to worry about it.

T belts are judged by TIME and Miles, so don't just let the miles dictate. When I bought my two 944s and my 928, I had each of the timing belts done immediately, and all the other belts and hoses changed out, just to clear the decks.

Replace the fuel injection and other critical relays, because these have a life span somewhere around 20 years (or so, depending upon humidity). Otherwise the motor could shut down like the lights going out.

The noise you hear could be the clutch as noted, but further inspection may be necessary. The clunk sound sounds like a bad original spec clutch disc.

Even at those costs, potentially costing you $3000, the car is worth it

regards, P
Old 09-20-2005, 04:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the inputs.

Cruzer,

She has 149,000 miles.

P,

I'm way ahead of you on the belts. I have an appointment tomorrow with a good P-mechanic ( he use to be a senior mechanic with the Porsche Raceing Team). The lower belt is showing some bad wear so since those belts are coming off anyway I'm going to do the timing belts also.

S.Herald

1988 924S
Bought as a fix-up and sell,
but fell in love.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Zero10
The clunk is probably transmission mounts. If it was the rubber center on the clutch (providing the clutch has not been changed in several years, since the rubber donut clutches are antiquated), you would have severe drivetrain backlash, and it would be difficult to drive.

T-Belts are the biggest killer of 944's. I've seen so many head to the wrecker because the belts weren't changed, and people can't afford to rebuild the head. Just be certain to keep up on it.

Buy my parts!
Old 09-20-2005, 08:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Do a search under "Potential expensive drivetrain klunk". I had the clutch centre rubber go and had useful feedback from guys like Socal, Idontknow etc. It will also describe how to check if it is the rubber centre gone.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Tapage Send a message via AIM to Tapage Send a message via Yahoo to Tapage
Quote:
Originally posted by sherald
Thanks for the inputs.

Cruzer,

She has 149,000 miles.

A lots of miles .. always when I see user car, I see the interior, carpets, mats, dash, it's give me an idea of the owner care.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Tapage
A lots of miles .. always when I see user car, I see the interior, carpets, mats, dash, it's give me an idea of the owner care.
The interrior is perfect except for a tear in the drivers seat cloth. The owner was a Doctor that had a lot of money to keep it up. That is why I knew this was a good deal.

Update: The clutch, PP, and TO bearing were replaced in 1997 to get rid of the rubber donut. I found a great P-mechanic and he is convinced that the thumping is a CV. He is also changing out the timing belts and the front belts.

Steve
Old 09-21-2005, 04:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Sounds like clutch to me, but is the exhaust system fully secure?
When i bought my first 924 it was only held on by the manifold and the rear backbox bracket with nothing securing it in between.The result was when either putting my foot down or changing down the centre section would vibrate and knock on the underneath of the car.I honestly thought the engine was knackered until i checked it out.

Old 09-22-2005, 02:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: