Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

928 for sale

1982 928 for $6500.00 sitting on the corner, very clean, good leather,,,, whats it worth??? is this a rare car?

coastal cruzer
Old 09-28-2005, 06:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to fast924S
Auto or standard
Old 09-28-2005, 07:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Nothing rare about an '82 My 928 unless it's a ROW "S" package.

$6500 is on the high end for a US spec standard 928 unless it's in exceptional condition, the 80-82 4.5 liter engines are the lowest power models of the 928 ( the 78-79 had one less HP but seem to run stronger overall, plus the CIS system on these is a plus for reliability).
Old 09-29-2005, 05:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Cars & Coffee Killer

I don't get why 928s are so cheap right now. Weren't they more expensive that 911s when new?

My prediction: after most of the "crap" cars are sent to the scrap heap and only the well-maintained examples remain, prices will start to shoot up rapidly. (They are in that awkward period between "old" and "classic" right now.)

"There is freedom in risk, just as there is oppression in security."
Old 09-29-2005, 06:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

You keyed in on alot of it right there, alot of folks bought these cars because they were cheap not realizing that upkeep is out of proportion with the selling price; still alot of neglected ones out there but the market seems to be slowly stronger for the good ones, especially the last year or two. I think they've bottomed out and are going to rise in price/value from here out.

Being a GT rather than more of a pure sports car like the 944/911 series' I think has been to the disfavor of the 928 as a whole, although there's no reason why you couldn't AX or a track a 928. There's still a growing number of suppliers who are providing OEM parts, but more importantly, there are alot of new non-oem parts being brought to the market for this model that are geared toward both chassis and engine performance as well as cheaper alternatives to some of the traditionally overly-expensive maintanance parts.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

i'll send a pic next time....i'ts pretty clean ..not a ding...more info on the way.... 6500... too much for the car????versa 20000.00 for a cheap ricer??

coastal cruzer
Old 09-29-2005, 05:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Not seeing the car, I'd say it's top dollar at the least. If it's in very good condition, reasonable miles, and good current service records it's probable a fair price, negotiation could make it a better price.

Another thing to look at is whether or not you are a DIY'er; if you're doing all repairs and maintanance on your 924S, there's no reason why you wouldn't do the same on a 928. Parts will be slightly more $$$s (plus there's more of them), but the breaking point would be labor; if you're paying to have everthing done it going to be more expensive and it's harder to find a compenent 928 mechanic.

Unless you get records that it's been done recently, the timing belt is a must on used 928s (the '82 is a non-interferecne motor, so no damage from a failed belt), changing the belt is a most-of-the day job so most guys replace the water pump, rollers, and crank seal at the same time. Weak synchros (if 5spd) can be a deal-breaker too, a rebuild on the 928 5-spd is around $2K. Most normal wear and tear items are within sight of the costs for similar on a 924/944, you do have to shop around to find the best deals on 928 parts.

928 vs. $20K car (assuming new?) If you put $20K in maint/upgrades in a 928 or 20K in payments on a small new car, you'd have a $10K car after say 4 years of ownership (depending on 928 market); but you'd have a hell of a lot more fun getting there in a Porsche!

Have you driven/owned a 928 before? They are quite different from a 924, enough so that you may not like what the 928 brings to the table in comparison.
Old 09-30-2005, 06:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Tapage Send a message via AIM to Tapage Send a message via Yahoo to Tapage
I read some info in the excelnt mag few weeks ago, abotu 928. In the mag they commented, if you wana buy a Porsche 928, they recommended 87 ->

In those models, tranny problems, are solved, and some minor issues with the inyection.

After I decide to buy my 951, I was seen a 84 928, but after this comments on the mag I prefeer my 951.
Old 09-30-2005, 01:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

That's expensive for a 928...unless you know the owner and the car and that the costly updates have been done. I have a 928 and they'll eat you alive if you buy one that needs very much in the way of maintenance. For that kind of money, you can get a nice 85 or 86.5 32 valve if you're careful. Also, if you don't have a very careful pre purchase inspection done by SOMEONE WHO KNOWS 928s, you're likely to be surprised ($$$$$$). Great car...but not for the person who doesn't do much of their own mechanic work.

I have about $16,000 in my '85...and its market value is about $6500. Go figure. This is not unusual. Great car though. I love mine.

Harvey
'02 Audi TT Turbo, 6 speed (Sold)
Old 10-01-2005, 07:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Tapage Send a message via AIM to Tapage Send a message via Yahoo to Tapage
do you have pics of yours .. ? excellent your commentary, very objective.

Old 10-03-2005, 09:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: