Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

bad ignition switch?

alright... as I've mentioned quite a bit, i have a starting issue with my 944..

I got a new battery, thinking that the old one was bad due to a lot of the acid leaking out onto my driveway and i had no improvement.

I cleaned all my battery connections and re-soldered the leads on the end of the wires going to the battery - no success...

when i got in the car to test it - turned the key.. nothing.... BUT... i realized if i put upward pressure on the key as I'm turning it, it would occasionally turn over. This is the only time it would start - only when this pressure was applied.

so I'm finally leaning towards a bad ignition switch.

I've read clark's article on testing the ignition switch components and it doesn't really help me because i dont know the location of a lot of the parts he talks about...

so i'm asking for a step-by-step method of testing the ignition switch......... (lot of back story just to ask this simple question, but i figure it will assist with future people who search if i outline my situation first).

2008 Mini Cooper // '83 Porsche 944 // '01 Mazda Protege [sold] //
"Never break more than you fix!" - SoCal Driver
Old 09-29-2005, 02:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

your ign. switch is melting due to the euro parking light feature...it fried my harness..... get it to a doctor quick

coastal cruzer
Old 09-29-2005, 04:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

i dont have the euro parking lights.... at least - i dont think i do... *confused*

Old 09-29-2005, 05:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

anyone else?

Old 09-29-2005, 08:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to bigyagi
quickly reading thru, b4 heading out. i replaced my ignition switch recently. FR.WILK suggested going to a VW garage, and obtaining the ignition switch for a "74" beetle. its the same part, and only cost $11can.
clarks garage has a write up on this, including replacement.
bob.
2002 grand am--better halfs ride.
olds 98 royal brougham--gone, but not forgotten.
Old 09-30-2005, 12:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Its really not that hard of a job. The switch itself can be purchased for under about $10.00 as a Porsche number, many places.

You say "i dont know the location of a lot of the parts he talks about..."

What is it, that you "don't know" about?" Clark's garage is a pretty good writeup on this, so, if ya need additional help, maybe if your a little more specific about what you need to know?

Have ya tried doing a search on this subject? I think its been beat to death before.

These switches, seem to be a little "cheesy" to me. Not much to them, and I had one that started to give me problems within about 6 months after replacement. I don't know, maybe I got a "bad one".

Good luck......no big thing!
Old 09-30-2005, 03:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

no it's not a big thing.. replacement is really simple from the looks of it - especially after already having experience removing the steering wheel to replace all my dash lights..

my original question asked how to *test* the ignition switch... bypass it, if you will... or "hotwire" the car.... just to be sure that this is the issue... i read the testing procedures on clarks and dont quite understand them. that's what i was talking about as far as locating what he describes (pictues would be useful or descriptions of locations of the wires, etc... instead of just using the wire names assuming i know where they are).... that's all i was talking about.

Old 09-30-2005, 04:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Eldorado
no it's not a big thing.. replacement is really simple from the looks of it - especially after already having experience removing the steering wheel to replace all my dash lights..

my original question asked how to *test* the ignition switch... bypass it, if you will... or "hotwire" the car.... just to be sure that this is the issue... i read the testing procedures on clarks and dont quite understand them. that's what i was talking about as far as locating what he describes (pictues would be useful or descriptions of locations of the wires, etc... instead of just using the wire names assuming i know where they are).... that's all i was talking about.
I guess I STILL don't understand. WHAT are you missing here? Wires come out of back of switch assy, and go places (pretty easy stuff here). Get a mirror and flashlight........then you can see the terminal numbers on the back of switch?

WHY do you want to test this switch? Starter problem.....I thought? Accessory problem? radio problem?.....?????

Hotwire the car?...........NO Brainer..........get the "right"wire, add your own switch, or connect two bare wires..........Sorry..........I still don't get what YOU want.
Old 09-30-2005, 05:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

alright... once more. lol just kiddin'... here's the rundown...

I have a starting issue with my car..

here's the original post for reference - lots of information about my problem there...

no start

at the time i ruled out the ignition switch because i couldn't kill the engine by wiggling the key... but now I'm thinking, on the days that the car does actually decide to start, it will only start with upward pressure on the key... now, with that said, on the days that it doesn't want to start no amount of pressure in any direction gets it to start..

I have cleaned the main engine ground. No effect.
I have bought a brand new battery. No effect.
I've tried jump starting the car. No effect. (usually if it were a faulty alternator, the car would start and run until you removed the jumper cables and let the battery die).

I've done everything short of checking the wiring to the starter, and checking the ignition switch.
I want to know how to test (or bypass) the ignition switch so i can either solve my problem, or rule that out as a cause.

Old 09-30-2005, 05:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Eldorado
alright... once more. lol just kiddin'... here's the rundown...

I have a starting issue with my car..

here's the original post for reference - lots of information about my problem there...

no start

at the time i ruled out the ignition switch because i couldn't kill the engine by wiggling the key... but now I'm thinking, on the days that the car does actually decide to start, it will only start with upward pressure on the key... now, with that said, on the days that it doesn't want to start no amount of pressure in any direction gets it to start..

I have cleaned the main engine ground. No effect.
I have bought a brand new battery. No effect.
I've tried jump starting the car. No effect. (usually if it were a faulty alternator, the car would start and run until you removed the jumper cables and let the battery die).

I've done everything short of checking the wiring to the starter, and checking the ignition switch.
I want to know how to test (or bypass) the ignition switch so i can either solve my problem, or rule that out as a cause.
Oh MY.........now, I'm begining to understand..........forgive me.

1983 CAR..........these are MY suggestions..........

1: get the car up on blocks. Check out ALL connections going to the starter. (most likely your problem!)

look at this as a "possible" situation.

Rennlist thread

2: As has been said in the previous thread "Check your frickin grounds!"

3: As far as ignition switch test goes, Clark's garage IS pretty clear on what pin numbers to check, and what to do to "verify" a "bad" ignition switch, as far as the starter circut goes, thru the wiring part of it.

Now........I AM no expert by ANY means. But, I can say that my experience has shown that most "starting' problems of THIS nature ARE due to mostly nasty/horrible/corroded/ sh***y connections, and/or wires going from battery to the starter. You could have a battery that puts out a million amps of power, but if the cables/wire going to it are crappy........it ain't gonna make the starter work. Yep..........everything else WILL appear to work.......however.

Good luck!........Start with those connections, then come back, and let us know what ya got.
Old 09-30-2005, 06:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

i just dont have access to stands or ramps..
maybe i can bug the guy at the local muffler shop again.. he was pretty good letting me use his hoist to rip off the heat shield on my cat on one occasion, and fix a rattling O2 sensor on another.......

or i could use the poor man's ramp - the curb. lol
but this car is just so damn low..

Old 09-30-2005, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

sorry guy........your just gonna HAVE to look at it, if your gonna find out!

Do what.......ya gotta do.

Good luck! No short cuts will work........Generally LOL
Old 09-30-2005, 06:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

lol short cuts?
if a loose wire was my problem all along, with what I've done, I'd say this is the long way around hehehe

Old 09-30-2005, 06:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Corrosion on the terminals connecting to the starter, battery, and main grounds is where ya need to start looking at first. That would/should always be the first place to start looking regarding problems like this If you haven't even been under the car long enough to even look at those connections........I wouldn't be saying

"I'd say this is the long way around hehehe"

I've had corrosion problems on the terminals on all three of the cars in my sig when I first got them. I had those intermitant/barely start and crank over issues. Again..........thats the first place to go looking. Then start looking at testing the starter, then the ignition switch, and its wiring.

Good luck!
Old 10-01-2005, 06:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

cool.. well the battery terminals are sparkling clean now....
the engine ground is as clean as i can make it, definitely better than when i got the car that's for sure...
i just need a way to get under the car to check that starter.. thanks for your help - in the other post everyone was more or less telling me that it wasn't the wiring to the starter that was my problem..... good to know someone else shares my suspicion..

Old 10-01-2005, 10:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: