Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Porsche Crest Decent paintjob question

Is it possible to get a decent alpine white paint job for my 944 for 1k or less. I am getting new fenders and a new front bumper and i figure i might as well paint the car. Is it unlikely?

Wheels im putting on. -

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d73/DJP944/cookiecrisp.jpg

front bumper i am most likely getting (wanted the gt-racing carrera gt bumper but ive been told it is extremely hard to mount)

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d73/DJP944/944nsp011.jpg

Old 11-19-2005, 01:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

unless you know someone, then no it probably wont happen. It owuld probably cost 1k for the new parts to get painted by a decent body shop. If you want to get the whole car painted, you are looking at 3-5k for a good solid job.
Old 11-19-2005, 01:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

all fibre parts are a beeotch to mount to get quality results in my opinion without it looking like a "kit"..

2008 Mini Cooper // '83 Porsche 944 // '01 Mazda Protege [sold] //
"Never break more than you fix!" - SoCal Driver
Old 11-19-2005, 01:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

honestly if you are some what skilled with tools you can doo most block sanding yourself and shop around you should get a respray for about that without doing any jambs

you can save money by maskign and blocking the car down yourself and most good shops will show you what they want and how you do it yourself
Old 11-19-2005, 02:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Non Compos Mentis

Believe it or not, a Maaco franchise about a half hour away does a great spray job. When a guy does nothing but spray cars 40 hours a week, he gets really good at it!

Do your own prep work, and go look at the cars coming out of your local Maaco.

I suppose you could get a spray man who just started last week, so go look first.
Old 11-19-2005, 03:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Who is going to spend 3-4k on paint for a car worth 6k max? I was looking into MAACO too. What I saw was pretty good for around $400. Stop by your shop and see the quality of the work. The time they spend doing prep is probably the weak point, so do it yourself and have them spray it.
Old 11-26-2005, 06:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Custom User Title

Years ago I had a rusty BMW. I enrolled at a local highschool in a night course for Auto Body. the course was about $75 but more importantly i received advice and a helping hand. They also had a paint booth and the teacher would spray the car for the cost of paint. YMMV but this is a great way to go if you are on a budget.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Yea, if you prep the car well, anyone should be able to shoot it. I am currently repainting my front end during my spare time, there is a hell of a lot of work in the prep stage, i have about 40 hours into the hood, header panel, headlight covers, and bumper cover (granted i did a euro conversion on the bumper, so I have about 10-12 hours wrapped up in that). If you want to check it out, i have my current progress with pics over at www.kcws.org under the obvious title. I will have about 100 bucks in primer into it, but have not bought the paint for it yet. If you have the time to do the prep work yourself, i would do it, then have Maaco spray it. Should be able to do a decent paint job for under 1k if you put some of your own elbow grease into it.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Parrothead member

Ive painted a number of cars myself. the hardest thing is finding a clean , dust-free place to do it. I usually build a spray booth in my garge out of anti-static plastic. and some funace filters for ventilation. wet down the floor and that helps with the dust.
As far as Macco goes, i've seen some pretty good quality paint jobs come out of there. it all depends on whos doing it.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Not long ago I asked at one of my local paint shops, What it would cost to spray my 944. With me doing all the body work and sanding. For them to mask and spray it was going to be $600.00. I didn't think this was too bad.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
As Dave L stated, a class is a great way to learn and take advantage of their professional equipment. I was working full-time, had a son, and still found time to attend a night college class on paint and body repair.

Painted 2 cars in one semester, the teachers are very helpful and they usually have aides to assist, who are going into paint and body for a living.

Gets you out of the house one night a week!!!

Schwinn Apple Krate
College days...'69 Hurst/Olds and '71 Roadrunner
Old 12-01-2005, 06:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: