Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Front brake calipers

I had a brake job done ... new rotors, pads, ets. and now the calipers look like they are not retracting enough.

Hydraulics look fine so we figure it must be the calipers. The problem is that we cannot find caliper rebuild kits for the S2.

Help anyone

Thanks

Old 12-06-2005, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to wizkid918
what do you mean not retracting enough? if you mean the pads are still touching the rotors, and you can hear them rubbing if you turn the wheel by hand. thats normal for a new brake job, especially with new rotors too.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

It sounds like the piston isn't retracting properly, and in my experience, taking a big C clamp and pushing the piston all the way in, and then giving it a shot of Gibbs, will solve the problem.

Here is a photo pictorial of doing this job on a 928. The results worked fine.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=426130&messageid=1126987073

If you drive with a stuck caliper, it can heat the disc so hot it will warp it, and also potentially set the car on fire.

P
Old 12-06-2005, 03:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Lightbulb I will this a try ...

Thanks, I am concerned about the potential for overheating the pads. I've already dumped over a grand in these brakes and don't want to dump another grand if I can avoid it.

Cheers
Bubba
Old 12-08-2005, 02:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

lubing pistons not the problem

We bleed everything and lubed the back of the pads and they appear to retract properly but when brakes are applied then they tighten up and then they don't retract properly. Maybe the retainer springs????

Any other ideas???

Thanks
Old 12-27-2005, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Sounds to me like your pins are grooved. You may need to grind down the shoulder that develops or replace them.
1987 944- parting out
1987 924S- sold to a friend
1986 944- Turbo Black on Black

want to trade parts?
want to buy parts?
I have a ton of parts
E-mail me por924sracer@aol.com
Old 12-27-2005, 12:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

The kit includes piston, seal and dust seal; I have recently bought some for the rears and know they are available for the front.( as the dealer ordered these by mistake, first time round) Sometimes the brake pads are gripped by the stainless plates screwed to the upper and lower faces of the calipers, corrosion can occur between these plates and the aluminium caliper, causing the plates to tighten onto the pads.
Old 12-27-2005, 12:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Remember, the callipers on the S2 are different from the others.
4 pistons and the instructions say you should not split them apart.
Make sure you don't make a silly mistake working on these.

Make sure you are talking to someone who has worked on the S2, I also believe the Turbo has the same brakes ?

gadgit.

Old 12-27-2005, 03:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: