Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
One apex at a time

Garage
You could always do this

http://www.928motorsports.com/services/uschrome.html

This was the end of the road for my last motor

This is my latest boat anchor. I may get it sleeved some day but for now it sits on the shelf

General Car Specs & Mods
Project Megasquirt 924s

Last edited by Dean924s; 12-15-2005 at 06:03 PM..
Old 12-15-2005, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Registered Lunatic

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Granite 944
These engines ARE alusil engine blocks. NOT nickasil. And be greatfull for that.
Yeah, yeah, yeah. . . . Of course you're right. Still got my mind on the 911 jugs. Or was that P. Anderson's jugs . . . I still get 'em confused!!. . . the left and the right I mean. . . . Oh. . forget it!!!

Close enough to the same damn thing though. . . DON'T HONE!!

Oh and BTW Granite. . . that righty tighty, lefty loosey stuff. . . . It don't work on Mopar lugs!!! I don't know about P. Anderson though

I'm just wondering what the hell Dean did!!! Good job bud!!!

I've hydrolocked one of these before. Cracked #3 from the top, clear to the bottom. Talk about being peeved. When I tore it down, other than the crack, the block was essentially new!!

It really does take alot (sans stupidity) to destroy these!!

Last edited by d.a.autry; 12-15-2005 at 09:46 PM..
Old 12-15-2005, 09:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to cchyper Send a message via Yahoo to cchyper
Looks like there is some motor confusion in terms of treatments. DONT GET THE THING HONED? is that the final decision?

The reason i started this post is because I had my starter freeze up the other day (or solinoid). I went back to my office where it was parked and tried to bump start it. Unsuccessful. Then i tried the key again... it started right up. Kinda like that old trick with the hammer and a starter. None the less i was driving my borrowed 4 runner while my buddy was driving my car. On the freeway he must have over revved the crap out of it, cause when we got off in our home town i could hear it click click tick tick tickity. I then realized that we were in to some major knee deep shiza. Now i think this is the rod bearing, almost positive that that is the issue. oil pressure i s all over the place and the thing runs, just clangy. I wont start it again after that day cause i want to save my crank.

LET THE PROJECT BEGIN!

BTW: i am driving a Chevy Citation II 2.5L Fuel Injected !! Its a great piece of work. 4 door hatch sloppy in all aspects of the word... BUT it gets me around were the porsche is lacking in that department. It ran so good too!

Last edited by cchyper; 12-16-2005 at 09:40 AM..
Old 12-16-2005, 09:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Registered Lunatic

Garage
DON'T HONE . . . .I REPEAT PHONE HO . . . . dammit . . . DON'T HONE!!
Old 12-16-2005, 11:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
One apex at a time

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by d.a.autry
I'm just wondering what the hell Dean did!!! Good job bud!!!

It really does take a lot (sans stupidity) to destroy these!! [/B]
Doing about 100mph into the bus stop at the glen. Accident in front of me. Battery from one of the cars squirts out and I run it over. (probably doing 80-90 as there was absolutely no time to react) Battery goes directly under the center of the car hits the end of the crank. The pulley gets bent and the bolt holding it in place is then loosened. The oil pump instantly freewheels and the #2 bearing lets go. Sent pieces of metal everywhere in the motor scored most of the cylinders. The really bad part is the motor had less than 10 hours of total run time. I salvage the head (ported and polished) but basicaly the entire rotating assembly was junk. My new pistons, crank and block..... .. All Junk. The only good part was my friend who raced these cars gave me his backup motor from his 944 and it is an even better/stronger motor. I did not even mention what the impact did to the transaxle. That was a very expensive day at the track.

A hole lot more photos of the carnage can be found here.

http://www.marx7.org/%7EDSMITH/porsche_924s.htm

General Car Specs & Mods
Project Megasquirt 924s
Old 12-16-2005, 02:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Registered Lunatic

Garage
Shezz,

Sorry to hear about all of that.

Isn't there some kind of crazy company out there now offering insurance for track cars???

What was your tach screaming when this happened??? Never mind. . . I just read the story.

Bummer!!!

Last edited by d.a.autry; 12-16-2005 at 06:42 PM..
Old 12-16-2005, 06:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

One apex at a time

Garage
Quote:
Shezz,

Sorry to hear about all of that.

Isn't there some kind of crazy company out there now offering insurance for track cars???

What was your tach screaming when this happened??? Never mind. . . I just read the story.

Bummer!!!
Hay no worries my car is back and running better than ever.

General Car Specs & Mods
Project Megasquirt 924s
Old 12-17-2005, 09:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to bryanthompson Send a message via AIM to bryanthompson Send a message via Yahoo to bryanthompson
Is there a "how to rebuild your 944 engine" book or anything like that? The workshop manuals are swell, but something in more plain english would be fun.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Yes that would be good.

Does anyone have a list of parts and a total cost for the rebuild. I want to compare it to that $5-6000 rebuild quote by Akers Porsche, Seattle.
Old 12-17-2005, 01:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by VINMAN
Been building race engines for 20 something yrs and I would never, ever install new rings in an engine without honing or especially removing the ridge. Thats the quickest way to destroy or break your rings. The finish on the cylinder walls also depends on the type of rings you are using. A 240 Flex hone would be what I would use on it. the cross hatch angle also depends on the ring type.
For most engines this would hold true. Not for the 944. It shocked me when I found out.

You don't hone a 944 bore and you can replace the rings without refinishing the bores.

Best for you to do some research before working on one of these engines.
Old 12-17-2005, 07:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by VINMAN
I'm not talking about a full hone, just a light scuff to break the glaze, this came from very reputible builders.
Not from reputable builders of 944 engines.
Old 12-17-2005, 07:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

I always just use some 80 grit sandpaper and a little WD 40. Works like a charm.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Registered Lunatic

Garage
I vote for a hand drill and grinding wheel.

CCHYPER - I can't remember for sure but I think I spent about $500. This was the gaskets and seals, rings, bearings (crank and rod),.

Add another 500 for all rollers for the belts, new belts, etc.

The heads on mine were in good shape. I lapped them in (oh, and ported and polished for what that's worth in a road engine). But I'm figuring you can take them to a shop for about 500.

You also might need: Pilot shaft bearing, clutch, etc.

You'll only be able to get a better figure once you've torn it down and have been able to check the heads, crank, block, etc.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Thanks, i think that i found a rebuild kit for 650. My head was rebuilt about 20,000 ago... Its probably ok... you never know tho. Also i will be replacing all the belts, seals and gaskets while its out... Why not. So i assume an estimate of about 1100? is that about right for a do-it-yourself rebuilf of the bottom end + some?
Old 12-18-2005, 07:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
Registered Lunatic

Garage
But again, if you have it out and you can do it easily, spend the extra $ to replace the clutch.
Old 12-18-2005, 08:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by WaA420
I always just use some 80 grit sandpaper and a little WD 40. Works like a charm.
Hehe.......sure ya do!

Glad its YOUR engine, and NOT mine.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by cchyper
Thanks, i think that i found a rebuild kit for 650. My head was rebuilt about 20,000 ago... Its probably ok... you never know tho. Also i will be replacing all the belts, seals and gaskets while its out... Why not. So i assume an estimate of about 1100? is that about right for a do-it-yourself rebuilf of the bottom end + some?

Sounds pretty close.......maybe.

Hehe, in my experiences with this sort of thing, and just about ANY project I get into, I've found that if I plan out everythng the best I can, estimate all the "costs", the very best I can........and THEN.......if I add 30 to 40 percent to it........I'm much closer to the real, end of project costs. And still, I end up underestimating the costs of many a "project". Is this just me? I doubt it.

Have fun, and good luck!
Old 12-19-2005, 04:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

I knew someone would get a kick out of that.

I actually bought a bare 944s block a couple years ago and was assurred it had been honed correctly by a pro porsche guy. When it showed up it had been sanded or something and was a total piece of crap. Problem was I had a grand into it and couldn't send it back.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm just wondering what the hell Dean did!!! Good job bud!!!.......

I don't care what he said, I think he honed the cylinders himself on the last headgasket replacement, and re-ring job! LOL!

Old 12-19-2005, 04:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by WaA420
I knew someone would get a kick out of that.

I actually bought a bare 944s block a couple years ago and was assurred it had been honed correctly by a pro porsche guy. When it showed up it had been sanded or something and was a total piece of crap. Problem was I had a grand into it and couldn't send it back.
Oh man.......that WOULD suck!
Old 12-19-2005, 04:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: