Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
One apex at a time

Garage
I have them acid etched (I can not think what the correct term is for the process) after they are cleaned up on the Sun machine. The block in the photo was brand new as were the pistons and the crank.

Sanding honing or any other "normal" treatments will make it so your rings don't seal. The etching of the aluminum exposes the aggregate in the aluminum and gives the rings a hard surface to ride on as well as seal to.

Note: I have never sanded the cylinders of any block

Speaking of rings has anyone used the total seal rings? I have not and was thinking of giving them a try in the next motor. Something like a 5-15 percent pick up in the compression.

General Car Specs & Mods
Project Megasquirt 924s
Old 12-19-2005, 06:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to todwic Send a message via Yahoo to todwic
Quote:
Originally posted by ae1969
I have done a couple full rebuilds..... pretty straight forward.

If you have done other engines you will be amazed at some of the details in this engine.
Absa-smurfly! I have lots of pics on the pelican server, so a search, you find tools I fabricated, bad, naughty bearings, rings that couldn't keep it together, and other pics.
'86 951
Providing ignorance one post at a time.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

I am oh soooo glad I read this thank you very much for the pre info
Old 12-28-2005, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

This will pickle your collective noggins. There is a independant repair shop here that specializes in Euro cars, Porsche specifically. Keep in mind when you read this that this shop has a very good reputation with Porsches.

About 10 years ago one of their good customers had a failure in his 86 944 motor and needed a rebuild. The owner of the shop begged the customer to let him try something he had always wondered about, and that was boring the cylinders, honing them, and then using chrome rings right on the bare aluminum cylinder walls.

A deal was struck and the customer said go for it. Last time I checked in with the shop and asked (about a year ago) the customer has over 50k miles on that job and still has excellent compression and leak down numbers. Does not use any oil.

Go figure...

"Don't retreat, reload." Sarah Palin
Old 12-31-2005, 02:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: