Pelican Parts Forums

Pelican Parts Forums (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/)
-   Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-924-944-968-technical-forum/)
-   -   @ Home Engine Rebuilds... Have you? (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-924-944-968-technical-forum/256133-home-engine-rebuilds-have-you.html)

cchyper 12-14-2005 08:06 AM

@ Home Engine Rebuilds... Have you?

I am thinking about rebuilding my motor. Has anyone rebuilt one before? This will be my first Porsche motor rebuild.

wizkid918 12-14-2005 08:27 AM

i just started - although not doing a full rebuild, mainly replacing seals, oil pan gasket, cleaning it up, dressing it up etc. etc.

and no, i have no idea what im doing:D

http://img473.imageshack.us/img473/6...7custom7mw.jpg

ae1969 12-14-2005 08:56 AM

I have done a couple full rebuilds..... pretty straight forward.

If you have done other engines you will be amazed at some of the details in this engine.

bryanthompson 12-14-2005 10:28 AM

I really want to, but my choice right now is between
doing a v8 swap or doing a rebuild on the 944 engine...
I have the manuals and enough room, I just don't
quite have the time or all the tools yet.

If you do end up doing it... take millions of pictures! As a first-timer, ask tons of questions and document everything you do!!

Moneyguy1 12-14-2005 11:29 AM

Bryan..

If you go the V8 route, the same request..Take LOTS of pictures!!!

There was an LT engine for sale here in Tucson for under a grand just recently. If I was just about ten years younger!!

bryanthompson 12-14-2005 02:06 PM

I definitely will! heck, I'll do one better... My DV cam arrived last Monday, so the next things I do to the car will be Video'd. w00t! :)

Cheap LT1's are all over, it totally amazed me when I actually started searching for them. The cost of the rest of the needed upgrade really isn't that bad either. $10k total is the normal estimate from the guys at www.560sec.com/bulletinboard

PhillysMostWntd 12-14-2005 02:19 PM

im in the process of rebuilding mine right now.. first time ive ever rebuilt an engine

cchyper 12-14-2005 05:07 PM

How is the rebuild coming? any pics or advice?

BTW: i love your choice in cars.... 190E is big pimpin.. I want the cosworth 190 soo bad.

Granite 944 12-14-2005 06:04 PM

Re: @ Home Engine Rebuilds... Have you?

Quote:

Originally posted by cchyper
I am thinking about rebuilding my motor. Has anyone rebuilt one before? This will be my first Porsche motor rebuild.
I've haven't "rebuilt" a Porsche engine, completely yet, but have done so on a handful of other engines.

I have two early Porsche blocks completely stripped, been to the machine shop and mic'd out, and checked over, and just waiting for me to pull the trigger on one or the other.

Only advise I could possibly give is:

Take your time! Don't rush ANY part of the job! Thats when mistakes and problems can and will happen. Going back to replace/redo/repair a mistake, is more costly in time and money than taking the time to get it right the first time.

Research everything, hopefully, prior, to getting to it, but also along the way as you get to it. And keep that research handy, and easily accessable.

If even slightly unsure of something, STOP, and find out for sure, before proceeding.

THE RIGHT TOOLS, FOR THE RIGHT JOB! Not an absolute for everything mind ya, but, make it your overall intent when "rebuilding" this engine, or any engine for that matter.

CLEAN FREAK. Keep everything clean, and organized along the way. Make a plan of attack, so to speak. Label everything as needed, and even what you may not think is needed, durring disassembly.

Good luck, and have fun doing it! It will be just the greatest feeling, when your done, turn that ignition switch, and she comes to life again!

I sure wished I'd pay closer attention to this advise I'm giving you!

:)

d.a.autry 12-14-2005 09:04 PM

Also, DON'T THROW ANY replaceable items away until the job is done.

I know it sounds stupid, but trust me! You may want to be able to re-inspect these throughout the rebuild.

The 944 is fairly straight-forward. The one thing you'll want to remember is DON'T HONE and DON'T REMOVE the ridge on the cylinder walls. Typically you won't encounter a terrible ridge anyway.

I've heard several different stories on dressing these walls. One is to not do anything at all. The other is to lightly score them with scotch-brite to help the new rings seat. Any input from others here???? I dressed mine. There's 15k on it now and I have great compression for the altitude I'm at.

ALSO NOTE, that if you EVER use scotch-brite, ALWAYS thoroughly clean everything. The little particles that come off of these pads can play havoc. There are actually a number of TSB's from several manufactures concerning this.

Also, you don't have to go crazy with the loctite when you assemble the bearing cradle. Use a velour roller to roll this on. Don't go crazy trying to remove all of the old sealant from these surfaces either. The new loctite will desolve the old.

You'll also be better off if you gain access to the factory service manual. The independant P-shop I use has never had a problem with allowing me to reference thier copy.

VINMAN 12-15-2005 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by d.a.autry
The 944 is fairly straight-forward. The one thing you'll want to remember is DON'T HONE and DON'T REMOVE the ridge on the cylinder walls. Typically you won't encounter a terrible ridge anyway.

I've heard several different stories on dressing these walls. One is to not do anything at all. The other is to lightly score them with scotch-brite to help the new rings seat. Any input from others here???? I dressed mine. There's 15k on it now and I have great compression for the altitude I'm at.

Been building race engines for 20 something yrs and I would never, ever install new rings in an engine without honing or especially removing the ridge. Thats the quickest way to destroy or break your rings. The finish on the cylinder walls also depends on the type of rings you are using. A 240 Flex hone would be what I would use on it. the cross hatch angle also depends on the ring type.
Like Granite said, I'm a clean freak also. Clean everything cood make sure all your threads are clean If possible pick up a tap and tie set so you can run all the threads. Clean all the old sealants off everything. make sure any parts you use go back in the spot they came from( pistons, rods , valve components and lifters especially)

d.a.autry 12-15-2005 08:54 AM

Um. . . . This is a nickasil treated block. . . .if you hone it you'll destroy the treated (extruded silicium) surface of the cylinder bore.

If you must machine these bores, the ONLY way to do it is a special process (namely, by using a Sunnen CK-10/CV-616)

I WILL REPEAT - - IF YOU HONE THESE WALLS YOU WILL DESTROY THE SILICIUM PROTRUSIONS!!!!

I will also repeat, you shouldn't find much of a ridge that will cause you any problems. I've encountered only one block out of 8 that had a ridge significant enough that would even grab your nail as you pulled it across. If you do then I'd spend the $$$ to have the SPECIAL process of oversizing and re-protuding of the silicium done, or find a good block. If you go with the latter option then you need to get the block with its original bearing cradle and balance shaft housings as these were machined as a unit from the factory.

This isn't you're good 'ole 350, a diesel, a 351 or a 383. Although the process of a standard refreshing is straightforward enough on this engine, if you don't do your proper homework, . . .you'll fail!!!

BTW, Loctite 574 will disolve any hardened Loctite 574, . . . and it will reset just like new. No need to rack your brains on this. If you're a little A/R about it, then use the Loctite 80646 remover.

VINMAN 12-15-2005 10:12 AM

I guess I need to study for my 944 mid-term...:rolleyes: thats what I get for majoring in V-8s

d.a.autry 12-15-2005 11:42 AM

Kinda threw me for a loop too. That was the first question I asked my p-shop was "Whadda 'bout breakin' the damn rings"!!!

nynor 12-15-2005 11:57 AM

when i took the head off of my '83, there was no ridge whatsoever.

VINMAN 12-15-2005 01:44 PM

I didnt realize these motors were plated too. The only time I've seen that is in motorcycle and some outboard engines. But even with those I know you should hit it with a diamond hone lightly just to break the glaze.

nynor 12-15-2005 02:18 PM

nope. if you do, you WILL break your piston rings.

VINMAN 12-15-2005 03:22 PM

I'm not talking about a full hone, just a light scuff to break the glaze, this came from very reputible builders.

PhillysMostWntd 12-15-2005 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by cchyper
How is the rebuild coming? any pics or advice?

BTW: i love your choice in cars.... 190E is big pimpin.. I want the cosworth 190 soo bad.

yeah the 190E is big pimpin.. minus the transmission slips so its merely a waste of driveway space right now, cant fix it because of the rebuild... but one day it will be back up again

or maybe ill sell it and get another '44

Granite 944 12-15-2005 04:55 PM

These engines are NOT a "nickasil treated block"......unless.......you, or someone paid a hell of a lot of money to have it done that way.

These engines ARE alusil engine blocks. NOT nickasil. And be greatfull for that.