Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Angry Help, Charoal Cannister?

I just purchased a 1978 924. and am missing something! There is a fuel distributor and four lines going to the injectors, one line off the top is going to the driver's side fender and stops dead. what is it supposed to connect too? There are two wires sitting there and one a little lower. Aslo the fuel line coming from the back of the car is no connected and has the same type of connector. What goes here? Please help me someone, I bought this as a X-Mas gift and don't have anyone here in Vegas that knows anything.

Old 12-20-2005, 08:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard

Yup, charcoal canister. It's no biggie unless your state does visual smog checks.
Guards Red 1986 951 <- Seattle car (Gretchen)
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 12-20-2005, 08:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

So I can go ahead and start the car, nothing will explode or leak from the open lines?
Old 12-20-2005, 08:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

just fumes...
and you might get a gas smell...

if you haven't changed the belts - do so now.

2008 Mini Cooper // '83 Porsche 944 // '01 Mazda Protege [sold] //
"Never break more than you fix!" - SoCal Driver
Old 12-20-2005, 08:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I second that.. My fender is bent and i guess the canister broke or was removed by previous owner.. Some times i do smell gas fumes but only when i run her hard. Im weary of stuff going back in thruw the pipe and cloging or slowing pasage ways of vacume lines.
85 325e BMW T-boned R.I.P.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

One mor question (for now at least) what would happen if I connected both lines thereby completely bypassinf the canister and directing any fumes directly into the tank?
Old 12-20-2005, 08:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

um.. probably a bad idea... the charcoal broke down the hydrocarbons in the fuel vapour.... without it, it's best to just let it vent to the outside.

Old 12-20-2005, 09:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard

Quote:
Originally posted by Eldorado
just fumes...
and you might get a gas smell...

if you haven't changed the belts - do so now.
On a '78 924 that's still the 2.0 litre engine. Non-interference. If the belts break, it's cheap and painless to replace them.

To the OP: You should be able to go ahead and loop the lines together just fine. Just be aware that fuel vapor does tend to expand so any way of joining the lines together will need to be capable of handling a couple PSI of pressure (we're talking something on the order of a non-shaken can of pop here, not some huge amount of pressure).
Guards Red 1986 951 <- Seattle car (Gretchen)
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 12-20-2005, 09:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

d'oh! my mistake... you're right about the engine...
disregard my comment!

Old 12-20-2005, 09:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: