Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Virginia Rocks!

H4 upgrade!

I'm going to do an H4 upgrade to my 944. On the 911, the upgrade will supposedly melt the switch so you have to put in a relay. Is that the case with 944s?
Old 12-29-2005, 09:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Cars & Coffee Killer

Do a search for posts by "Iceshark". He was our resident 944 headlight expert and a nice guy to boot. He passed away recently, but much of his enormous knowledge can be found here.

"There is freedom in risk, just as there is oppression in security."
Old 12-29-2005, 09:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

You can do an H4 upgrade without adding relays as long as you use 55/60W bulbs. Any higher and relays are a good idea.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I second what Aribop said. I have and upgraded h4 kit with halo and it works just fine
85 325e BMW T-boned R.I.P.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Be sure to buy good reflectors and not the cheap-o stuff on eBay. Good bulbs too.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 12-29-2005, 10:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Virginia Rocks!

Thank you guys. The official h4's I put in my 911 are great. I want that level of illumination for the 944.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I've been running mine since 1985. Stock wattage.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 12-29-2005, 10:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Zero10
Upgrading the wiring is a good idea regardless. Even in the stock headlight configuration, I've seen the switches melt, and you lose a lot of power in the wiring. In the case of my 951 (entirely stock) I see 11.1V when the engine is running at the headlights, 9.6V when it's not. In the spring I will be upgrading the wiring.....

Buy my parts!
Old 12-29-2005, 02:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by legion
Do a search for posts by "Iceshark". He was our resident 944 headlight expert and a nice guy to boot. He passed away recently, but much of his enormous knowledge can be found here.
Speaking of Dan, I may have found a way to resume production of the Iceshark kits with very little effort from his family, and in a way they can benefit.

Read here
Old 12-30-2005, 04:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Bravo Wolf! I'll keep my eyes open for this one.
Old 01-02-2006, 07:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Old 928 Guy

I took the cheapie route and replaced my headlights with the SilverStar Sealed beams...they were quite an improvement..i found the ones i replaced had lost much of their silver..I'd never seen that with a headlight before
Old 01-03-2006, 03:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to fierochris Send a message via Yahoo to fierochris
any one know of a HID conversion for a 944?
where can i get flushmounts?
Lamborghini diablo replica w/ 350 V8
85.5' 944 n/a euro ( gave to dad )
87 fiero cp. candy blue, chrome 16's
90' DSM 24psi. 18G fmic,
82' benz 300sd turbo, intercooled.
73' Karmann Ghia cab. sold
04' Standard 250s ox, euro bb 28/10 gearing, odyssey, profile, 29lbs,
check out www.vintagevwcars.com

wanted: 914, 944, 928 project
Old 01-06-2006, 07:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to toolboy62 Send a message via Yahoo to toolboy62
Wolfe,

if you get the light thing back up and running, I would like to buy some new lights and also a pair of relays (not the whole harness; these would be going in my '55 Stude. Unless you are willing to do me a harness to my spec.)

just PM me or drop me an email.

nate
Old 01-07-2006, 04:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
One apex at a time

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by legion
I don't know if it would be possible but could his posts be put in some form of library? I would be willing to run through them and edit them for content. IE take all the info and advise that he so freely gave us and put it all in one place.

Can this be done? Like I said I would gladly help with this project

I had corresponded with him on the "other list" about headlights for one of our race cars that is primarily used for 12 hour endurs where lighting is VERY important as about half of it is run in the dark. The car was not a Porsche but it uses the same bulbs and suffers the same problems as the 944 so the information was very relevant. This past year the car ran with the new system in place. I was very saddened to here of Dans passing. I never got a chance to thank him

General Car Specs & Mods
Project Megasquirt 924s
Old 01-07-2006, 06:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard

Quote:
Originally posted by fierochris
any one know of a HID conversion for a 944?
where can i get flushmounts?
There is NOT SUCH THING as a legal HID conversion for street use if the car did not have HID as an option.

The ONLY legal way to retrofit HID lights to a car is if the same exact model of car had a FACTORY HID option and you replace the lights with the FACTORY setup. Otherwise, HIDs are ILLEGAL for street use.

There are some shops that sell "custom" HID setups that use stock reflectors with altered mountings for HID bulbs. Stay away from those. Far away. HID bulbs have a different "fillament" (in the case of HID bulbs, it's an arc, but it is functionally identical to a filament for optics purposes) orientation than the incandescent bulbs the housings were originally built for. Filament placement and orientation are absolutely critical for proper beam creation by the reflector. Altering the position or orientation of the filament ("custom" HID kits alter both position AND orientation, a gigantic no-no in the world of optics) creates a wholly unacceptable beam pattern that is a hazard for oncoming drivers and for you as well since it creates severely increased glare. Increased glare decreases the eye's ability to make out shapes and movement yet is more irritating to the eye and therefore perceived as "brighter" despite the fact that you actually can see LESS.

Get a set of ECE-Spec Hella or Ciebe H4 kits. Those use proper reflector design and a standard H4 bulb. They are much less expensive than, and vastly superior to, those "custom" HID kits.

Wolf: You will be my hero if you make that happen.
Guards Red 1986 951 <- Seattle car (Gretchen)
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 01-07-2006, 10:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

I am running European halogens on my 84 944 and 83 928, both of which have the great Euro cutoff, lower on the driver side so as to not blind oncoming traffic, and high on the right so as to illuminate traffic signs and the edge of the road on low beam. On high beam if the residential electrical power ever went out, I think I could cook a hot dog in front of the car.

P
Old 01-08-2006, 02:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to fierochris Send a message via Yahoo to fierochris
sweet! i want some, where do i sign!
Lamborghini diablo replica w/ 350 V8
85.5' 944 n/a euro ( gave to dad )
87 fiero cp. candy blue, chrome 16's
90' DSM 24psi. 18G fmic,
82' benz 300sd turbo, intercooled.
73' Karmann Ghia cab. sold
04' Standard 250s ox, euro bb 28/10 gearing, odyssey, profile, 29lbs,
check out www.vintagevwcars.com

wanted: 914, 944, 928 project
Old 01-08-2006, 03:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

yes aftermarket HID's are illegal to put on a car that do not have that option. but if u still want to get an HID kit

http://www.umnitza.com/

a friend works there...good stuff
Old 01-08-2006, 03:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Ornery Bastard

Quote:
Originally posted by XxKHxX
yes aftermarket HID's are illegal to put on a car that do not have that option. but if u still want to get an HID kit

http://www.umnitza.com/

a friend works there...good stuff
Your friend needs to tell them to fire their web designer. That site looks about as professional as a guy selling "genuine Rollex [sic]" watches from his trenchcoat pocket.

And way to go recommending something you know is illegal. Those damn cobbled setups have piss-poor beam patterns and awful glare. They are legitimate hazards to anyone on the road.
Guards Red 1986 951 <- Seattle car (Gretchen)
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 01-08-2006, 04:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
One apex at a time

Garage
AaronM>>>>
Quote:
have piss-poor beam patterns and awful glare. They are legitimate hazards to anyone on the road.
Do you have any tech on this? Any studies comparisons of various aftermarket set ups? I have been having this argument with an employee at the office and would like to put this to bed once and for all.

General Car Specs & Mods
Project Megasquirt 924s
Old 01-08-2006, 06:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: