Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

my latest project

There was a little interest in another thread so I will past my response Thanks guys. i will be asking some questions long the way this forum is a great wealth of knowledge.

Shoot I don't know hot to copy and paste on a MAC well it's in the suging forum. Sorry.
Old 12-30-2005, 06:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to bryanthompson Send a message via AIM to bryanthompson Send a message via Yahoo to bryanthompson
On a mac, highlight what you want to copy and then hit apple + c to copy it, then apple + v to paste it.

(i'm posting from my Quad-Core 2.5ghz PowerMac )
Old 12-30-2005, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

thanks
blown 944

let me get it fully tuned and I will let you know how it is all working out. It is in it's infant stages right now. I have it mounted and had some temporary tubing done. It was a real PIA getting the tubing around back for the intake and it looked messy with the tubing all so scrunched in front not to metion getting it low enough for the hood to cl;ose. I did it all temp amd ran it out easy not boosting over 10psi under part load and it seemed like it was going to run good. Like I said is is just starting to come together.
I decided to pull the intake and FAB some runners and a box to get more room not to mention the ease of having more room for the intake tubing and placement of the TB and AFM. I saw a Huntly set up and am making it similiar to that using the stock intake (cut) and some runner tubing.

I did do some work ahead of time getting the 42# injectors to run (quite well in fact) N/A by lowering the FP to about 25#'s vac and 29 not vac. I am tuning using a computec EGT and and watching the o2 voltage. I got it to run at about 1400 WOT N/A and got smooth idle. The A/F was about .7 (rich) on the top end but feels good. With a RRFPR it should tune in good. With the blowert on the EGT's got up to about 1600 without getting crazy on the throttle so I ran it easy. With the RRFPR it shoud be able to tune to about 1580-1650 at about 15psi I figure.
Right now it is apart getting intake fabbed up.
And no I am not running an I/C I will most likely run meth injection using a SAAB boost switch and separate FP for it.
Thanks for the interest I will put some more info up when I get it to the point where I feel it is worth mentioning. I like this car (got it at an auction) it is a test mule of sorts if all works out I will get a newrer model in a little better condition to keep. But who knows I just got back into messing with cars after a couple of years off.

83 944 with eaton m90
88 saab 9000 14.2@102@5800ft
70 ElCamino cruiser
97 chev 1500 4x4 x cab programmed

last projects (before college funds)
66 nova best 8.62@159
76 LUV 10.40@130
69 Camaro 10.7@127
70 malibu convert
and soo many others
and soooo many others
Old 12-30-2005, 06:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I thought I'd do a quick update.

A couple of people had shown some interest in it.

I just got the intake for a short while today to check fitment before final weld. I will have to have some spark plug indents put in other wise it is good. All of the other parts should be done tomorrow as well.

I am very excited to get it back on the road. I am going to temporarily mount the I/C to see if it is going to even be close to big enough, I figure it should really be ready to runn some boost on it and I even have a smaller pulley if needed . Here are a couple of photos and on of my stock 86 as well
Sid
Old 01-27-2006, 08:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
.........Am I reading +1400 F EGTs............ upto 1600 ??? Whoever wrote that is on crack. hehehehe......

? if so............. buy a few headgaskets in bulk.
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 01-27-2006, 09:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Alex, why do you say that, have you measured your EGT's ? I have ran many cars boosted, n/a, nitrous, methanol all kinds and I can tell you that 1650-1700 is where a non methanol boosted car starts to burn. A sweet spot is between 1450 to 1575 not sure where you are seeing this as a problem or what you have experienced now if it were running on methanol I would agree b/c they tend to start to burn at 1400. I will even video my Saab if you would like it hits about 1600at 17psi. Just LMK OK.

Last edited by blown 944; 01-27-2006 at 09:42 PM..
Old 01-27-2006, 09:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Cars & Coffee Killer

Looks nice!

"There is freedom in risk, just as there is oppression in security."
Old 01-27-2006, 09:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

For some reason other photos won't upload. Oh well it is not really ready to be showing anyway I just noticed how messy things look
Old 01-27-2006, 09:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I havent been keepign up with this and i have no idea wat an eaton m90 is. I'm assumng you're addign a trubo. or Supercharging the vehicle?
85 325e BMW T-boned R.I.P.
Old 01-27-2006, 09:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

It is a supercharger a little larger than most would run on this size engine.
Old 01-27-2006, 09:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Oh, ok now i see it sorry I'm not much of a mechanig And i've only seen few superchargers Sure looks liek fun, what state do you live in b/c that looks like an expesive smog check if you know what i mean.
85 325e BMW T-boned R.I.P.
Old 01-27-2006, 09:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

no emmisions where I live. I am in Colorado but I am in an area that doesn't test. I really don't think that once tuned it would have any problem passing. I would just have to make sure it was a little lean. As far as I can tell with the o2 sensor readings I should be able to tune it to pass with ease.
Old 01-27-2006, 09:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Blown from my experience and experience of others on these engines. You do not want to tune that NA engine for 1600+ F

I would pull a VERY VERY conservative 1550 MAX. Even with an AFR of 11.5:1 at redline.

This is with the egt sensor at least 1-1.5 inches away from the exhaust port. If you have the sensor further away its pretty much useless.

A lower compression turbo engine will run all day long on 1550 with proper AFR with the occasional spikes but anything sustained over 1600+ is not a good thing.

Timing on that NA engine is gonna make those EGT's creep up so fast you will not even see it coming before .........POOOOOOF cloud of smoke. You have a very fine line on that engine. You should see NA ring lands how they look when you get just a little bit of detonation. Nasty.

P.S I actually love that little setup you put together. 8-10 psi and that NA engine should be fine for intermittent on/off boost runs...........but at 15 psi the safety margin is narrowing very rapidly.
Old 01-27-2006, 11:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I do agree that prolonged 1600 plus is not good on any engine. Like I said I will be tuning for aropund 1450 to 1550 or so with an occasional 1600.

I am a big believer in watching the detonation and will most likely keep the alky running on it just for insurance. I have it hitting at about 10psi on my other car and have seen no probs.

I am also looking into tuning the DME for a little lower timing I did find a diagram as to how to tune the DME using the FQS for various settings including timing retard and fuel enrichment or lean.

I do have the probe right by the head, as close as possible. If all works out I may invest in some other pistons and find a turbo head but we'll see what developes.

Alex,
while I appreciate your opinions the crack comment got my blood boiling a little. Considering I have been fooling with various cars and fuel and power adders for quite some time I did take some offense to it although I do understand that there are many on these boards who really are of the bolt on sort and may find themselves scracthin when things go wrong. I have learned that a cautious approach is always best. Thank you for your reasonable reply. BTW do ou have any insight as to how well the pistons in the 83 hold up in comparison from my research they are forged while the later models were cast? My assumption is they will do far better.
Sid

again I am looking forward to getting this thing back on the road just to have some more fun. I do love that it has no lag at all, boost is almost instant and feels like a muscle car that handles
Old 01-28-2006, 08:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by blown 944
........... Alex,
while I appreciate your opinions the crack comment got my blood boiling a little. Considering I have been fooling with various cars and fuel and power adders for quite some time I did take some offense to it although I do understand that there are many on these boards who really are of the bolt on sort and may find themselves scracthin when things go wrong. I have learned that a cautious approach is always best. Thank you for your reasonable reply. BTW do ou have any insight as to how well the pistons in the 83 hold up in comparison from my research they are forged while the later models were cast? My assumption is they will do far better.
Sid

again I am looking forward to getting this thing back on the road just to have some more fun. I do love that it has no lag at all, boost is almost instant and feels like a muscle car that handles
Hey ...sorry if my reply came off sounding negatively. I actually did not mean it to sound like that.

My intention was only to warn you. You can play with the FQS switch pulling 3,6 degrees or richening up etc but it really will not fix some of the underlying issues. The jump to 15 psi will be a tricky one on the stock compression.

The forged pistons should definitely help but I still have seen lower compression forged pistons on 951's melt so it won't completely keep you out of trouble. I would be concerned about burning a valve as well it happens pretty fast.

The 944 timing has a little too much advance up top for boosting safely to be honest past 10psi. I feel that is one of the biggest achilles heels on most home projects. Most projects try to band aid around the motronic system when in reality to do it right.......it should be yanked or proper chips burned.

I am currently working on a megasquirt system for my 951 and it could also be used on the NA's. With a map based engine management sytem I believe 15 psi on an NA is doable.......a little risky but doable.

Either way I like seeing projects like this and I encourage you too go on ...........

Old 01-29-2006, 09:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Hey thanks Megasquirt is on the list if needed
Old 01-30-2006, 06:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

looks like a good project. I'm in the middle of S/Cing my S2 with a partial Huntley kit. If you clock your S/C so the discharge port is strait up and then run the discharge tube strait out the front, or canted to the drivers side a bit, I think you will have more clearance and accessability.

still have the '69 camaro? is it for sale?
Old 01-30-2006, 11:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

No regretfully I don't have that one anymore wish I still did (so does the wife).

I did look at many configs before deciding this clocking. I like the room it allowed etween the fenderwell and blower the other way there really isn't much for the afm and t/b. I do like the way the Huntly looks I just wanted to keep the I/C option open. Thanks for the interest .
Sid
Old 01-30-2006, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

An S2 now that's what I would like to be working with. This is jut a stepping stone. So far I have about 1200. in the whole car including new tires so if it goes I won't feel too bad. But if all works out good for the long run I will be looking for a S2.

I am all about the fun per $ value nowadays so this project has proven itself to be as fun as my LUV with a 406. In hindsight that was my funnest vehicle b/c of the fact I could drive it easily and it was cheap. Not like the NOVA (fast trailer baby) that sucked all the fun out of it.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Oh and by the way if know anyone looking for bad small block I still have the 421 out of the Nova it is bowtie block, crower bottom end, enderle injected about 700 hp w/o NX about 1000 to 1100 with.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: