Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to Vince04o5
Angry 944 wont idle

I finally repaired my 1983 944 Porsche. Everything seems to be plugged in, my head was fully repaired, ect ect. When I go to turn on my car it cranks over but will not hold idle. I have checked all my plugs and everything seems to be plugged in. Everything looks fine, but as I said it will not idle. Could I please get any possible problems that it may be? I would really appreciate it and would like to get my car running asap.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I just finished reading a post similiar to my problem: 944 idles fine dies when you drive and tomorrow I will probably follow similiar procedures.

1. I am thinking my grounds may be off, being that it has been raining up a storm here the last month and my car has been out of service for 4+ months. Thus I will check for rust on my grounds and cables.

2. My fuel rail, I will check to see that the proper amount of fuel is being released.

3. I will check to make sure everything is plugged in properly and that nothing was missed or came loose. (I ran through each plug to make sure everything was plugged in but all seemed fine. However, I was more excited about starting it up, I may have missed somes.)

Other than that, what is left that I can do? I am really, really anxious to get my car up and about again. It has been out of service for a long while.. Thank you and any response is appreciated.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I also came across:

and forgot that I have not looked at this in a long while. Could this also be a possibility I have overlooked.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thats the idle adjustment, If you did not change it before the work it should be ok.
1975 Benz Sold
1976 Benz Sold
1977 Benz Sold
Old 12-30-2005, 11:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by rudidelange
Thats the idle adjustment, If you did not change it before the work it should be ok.
Well when i took off my head i removed this. I cannot recall what exactly I did to do so, so i might have changed the adjustment.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

There are two vacuum hoses that go to the throttle body. One on either side of the throttle butterfly. If they are swapped the car won't idle. Ask me how I know!
'88 CitroŽn 2CV
Old 12-31-2005, 11:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Wow thank you for all the great responses.... Appreciate it and it all makes me a lot closer to finishing up.....
Old 01-03-2006, 12:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Check the throttle position sensor, you should be able to hear a click when you first open the throttle by hand with the engine off. You should hear the click again as you release it back to rest position.

Lou

'89 951, Weltmeister chips, 3mm WG shim, 968 CS sway bars, stock looking engine bay, just turned over 125K miles. I run Redline oil.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: