Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Let's go shooting.

Rear Fog Light Problem.

My rear fog lights (no front fog lamps) don't work.

Bulbs are fine.

Earths look nice and clean.

Warning light does not come on.

Power is getting to the switch (near console ash tray) when the headlamps are on - just as they should.

Power isn't getting to the fuse though - I pulled it and stuck a volmeter across the fuse holding prongs.

Is there some kind of relay that may have packed up?

No mention of such a relay exists in the owners handbook.

I have Porsche factory manuals that speak of a fog relay that exists (models since 1984) but no clue as to where it should be. I can't see it when I look under the dash. Any ideas?

My car was bought in November 1983 but might be the next years model. The reason I suspect this is because according to the Haynes Manual all 1983 models had one fusebox with relays all scattered about in various locations. By 1984 there was a Central Electric Board in the left hand footwell with most of the relays attached here with a fusebox (under a flip up clear plastic panel) running beneath it. Also there is an auxillary fusebox just beneath the dash near the side panel (near where my glovebox is - right hand drive).

Does anyone have an 1982 - 1983 model? I've heard the fusebox is under the hood. Is that true?

Anyway - any ideas where I should be looking to get power across that fuse? Wiring looks OK - nothing looks like it's been disturbed in 20 odd years anyhow.

1991 944 (automatic) 2.7 litre 16 valve na and pas

"I have only five words for you: From my cold, dead hands."

Last edited by Dark Skies; 12-31-2005 at 09:58 AM..
Old 12-31-2005, 09:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

The Fuse box is in the vehicle. it's under the Steering Wheel. Where the Hood pop handle is on the kick pannel. Look RIght above that and this is what you shoudl see, Well that's the way it is in my 83
http://www.network54.com/Forum/426130/message/1134482918/1984%20944%20Fuse%20and%20Relay%20diagram,%20and%2 0identification%20chart
85 325e BMW T-boned R.I.P.
Old 12-31-2005, 10:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Let's go shooting.

Quote:
Originally posted by AA_Ezra
The Fuse box is in the vehicle. it's under the Steering Wheel. Where the Hood pop handle is on the kick pannel. Look RIght above that and this is what you shoudl see, Well that's the way it is in my 83
http://www.network54.com/Forum/426130/message/1134482918/1984%20944%20Fuse%20and%20Relay%20diagram,%20and%2 0identification%20chart
That's pretty much how it is on mine too - except the upper row of fuses isn't above the relay panel - it's mounted above the side trim panel (where the hood pop lever is mounted) parallel to where the steering colunm would be if I had a left hooker. My 1985/1 had the same arrangement so this may be a UK thing that arose due to the dash / column being reversed for right hand drive models.

Old 12-31-2005, 10:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

ahhhhhhhhh i drove my 84 944 from vancouver to seattle after breaking my foot and went to start it the next day and all of the sudden i had no wipers,heater blower,rear defrost. Dont need these in sunny Seattle,grrrrrrrrrrr. Im new here and could use some help as i need to return to Van by thursday for a new cast. Helllllllllllllllllllp lol...thanx and happy new year to all

Parting a 85.5 and 2 86 944's ..2 automatics, 1 5 spd 87 944 S

06 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail
Old 12-31-2005, 10:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Let's go shooting.

Quote:
Originally posted by vancity944
ahhhhhhhhh i drove my 84 944 from vancouver to seattle after breaking my foot and went to start it the next day and all of the sudden i had no wipers,heater blower,rear defrost. Dont need these in sunny Seattle,grrrrrrrrrrr. Im new here and could use some help as i need to return to Van by thursday for a new cast. Helllllllllllllllllllp lol...thanx and happy new year to all
What have you done by way of a preliminary check? Could be worth looking at the fuses (to see if any are blown) - also worth pulling them and checking the holders / fuses noses aren't tarnished. Might also be worth pulling the relays and giving the blades a going over with a bronze brush or emery paper.

Old 01-02-2006, 07:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Let's go shooting.

I had the fusebox (auxillary fuses) out to carry out the demister mod (running two 16 Amp fuses in parallel to compensate for the aged defogging grid's extra resistance causing the 25 Amp to overheat). Whilst I was there I checked the rear foglamp fuse / connection. I'm just not getting power to the live side of the fuse holder.

Does anyone know the best place I can run a live wire from to bypass the original (which I can only assume (although unusual) has broken somewhere under the dash?

Old 01-02-2006, 07:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Let's go shooting.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dark Skies
I had the fusebox (auxillary fuses) out to carry out the demister mod (running two 16 Amp fuses in parallel to compensate for the aged defogging grid's extra resistance causing the 25 Amp to overheat). Whilst I was there I checked the rear foglamp fuse / connection. I'm just not getting power to the live side of the fuse holder.

Does anyone know the best place I can run a live wire from to bypass the original (which I can only assume (although unusual) has broken somewhere under the dash?
BUMP.

Come on lads, I know one of you blokes out there can field this.

Electrics aren't my strong point - but is it possible to piggyback some live feed from one of the other fuse holders to the feed for my foglamps?

Without overloading the wires, obviously. I know that the feed from the demister has a bridge to the fresh air blower, hood release and sunroof.

Last edited by Dark Skies; 01-05-2006 at 03:02 PM..
Old 01-05-2006, 02:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Let's go shooting.

The sound of crickets chirping is deafening.

Old 01-06-2006, 03:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Not many here in the states have the rear fog light setup. I know there is the wire for it in the 83. Beyond that I'm lost.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 01-06-2006, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Let's go shooting.

Quote:
Originally posted by SoCal Driver
Not many here in the states have the rear fog light setup. I know there is the wire for it in the 83. Beyond that I'm lost.
Seriously? I'd have thought the fronts were optional but the rears mandatory - does America not get much fog?

Old 01-07-2006, 03:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Depends on where you live. Along sea shores and in the mountains. Although mountains realy have low flying clouds -- not really fog. One would think that extra bright tail lights should be coupled to the front fogs.

Also the lenses on the 944's are faceted. Close ups of the euro lights show them to have clear lenses.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 01-07-2006, 08:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Let's go shooting.

Quote:
Originally posted by SoCal Driver
Depends on where you live. Along sea shores and in the mountains. Although mountains realy have low flying clouds -- not really fog. One would think that extra bright tail lights should be coupled to the front fogs.

Also the lenses on the 944's are faceted. Close ups of the euro lights show them to have clear lenses.
Well then. Do you think it could be that the lack of power to the live feed of the fog fuse terminal is down to a relay further up the line?

It's hard to figure out the flow diagram in my manual - it spans several schematics and, like I said, electrics are not my strong point.

I figured the live feed would initially come from the ignition switch down to the fuse direct and then go through a series of relays - given you can only have the fogs on with the lights and therefore require a separate switch.

However, last night in the pub, I was bemoaning my woes over a pint with this car nut I know and he thought the relay would be above the fuse - thus making the feed live only when the foglight switch kicked the relay into life and passed current to the fuse.

Old 01-08-2006, 02:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: