Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question electrical problem

i have a 84 944. one morning i went out to leave and it started right up but i had no wipers,heater fan and my headlights never came up, i have dash lights and signals.any help would be apprecited. im new here and it looks like a great place for tech and searching parts etc..thanx and happy new year to all
Old 12-31-2005, 01:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Ignition switch. Could be frozen inside. Not the key part but the switch just past the key part.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 12-31-2005, 01:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Replying here instead of the PM:

You have two parts to the ignition. The tumblers that the key turns and the switch part at the end of the tumblers. Inside this switch are several isolated circuits. You could have the engine run and not have other electrical items operable. Could be a loose wire in the plug to the switch or could be the contacts inside the switch.

Pelican has the early 944 electrical diagrams here: http://www.pelicanparts.com/944/electrical/944_electrical_diagrams.htm

You want to look at this one:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/944/electrical/944_84_4_1.jpg

and this one:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/944/electrical/944_84_4_2.jpg

Print them out and tape them together. Actually capture all of the images and print them out. The Haynes manual for the 944 has basically the same diagrams.

Another point that you may be having problems with is the positive terminal on the battery. Many older 944's have had the end cut off and an aftermarket terminal attached. These need to be taken apart periodically and cleaned. The several 10 gauge wires coming off of it provide power to other parts of the cars electrical.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Let's start with what its probably not.
Not Fusses (multiple)
Not Relay (cause multiple at once failure improbably)
Not DME. (cause lights don't go through it)
Not individual components. (cause multiple at once failures improbably)

Since they all power their relays with the Power buss through the Ignition Switch, SoCal might have the inside track.

So you're either not getting the +12V from the ignition switch going to the Relay and Fusses or you're not getting a ground from them. I would put a the Pos end Volt meter or test light, to the #1 fuse (16A) and put the neg end to a nice clean bolt head in door jam. If you got +12V to this Headlight fuse, then It's not the ignition and I would suspect the body ground stud way up on side wall/near firewall by fuse panel (big Brown multi-wire point). I think you need to unscrew and move the fuse panel/relays to find it. I've never gone there. (follow the Brown wires!)
SOCAL- can you verify or deny this ground point on this year? Later they moved it under the hood with the fuse panel.

If no +12V to the #1 fuse then Send your check to Socal and replace that switch. (Switch has several circuits that get switched at same time which is why the motor started )
You might also try playing with the Black/Yellow (12+ switched) wire on the harness to see if it came out or looks fried. Be careful. I like pushing around with wooden spoon to avoid become a ground.

Happy hunting.
1987 924S with 968 Drive front to back, Bilstein Insert on mod/stock Struts, 450# Hypercoils, 28mm Torsion Bars, Weltmeister Adjustable Sway Bars, Lindsey 968 Light flywheel, Spec Stage II Clutch, ToYO RA1's, Auto Power Cage & 6 pt Harness, KLA Strut Brace, Greasy hands, heavy foot, and lots of smiles
Old 12-31-2005, 05:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I like that "check" thing! But do I have to send him a check if it does not fix it???

One of the considerations is to NOT confuse the early 944's electrical with the later 944's that do have aux relays for some of the extended electrical circuits.
Old 12-31-2005, 05:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Does the Shop ever not charge for switching out components that were really OK on the way to find the real problem. And why is it always $1000 with Porsche’s. Must be a target price... Never give back the money!!!

So the +12V test point was the #1 of 9 on Aux fuse panel. Good catch.
And don't forget to check those multi-red +12V wire connection at Battery like Socal Said before digging for the Ground wire on fuse panel.

Socal must be the most dedicated helper on the net. I'm nominating you for a Nobel Piece Prize.

OK Gotta go hit a club for New Years so happy happy all.

Old 12-31-2005, 06:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Also check for voltage at fuses 10 and 11 with the key on. Buss circuit X feeds the wipers, blower relay and headlight motor. This is switched by the ingition switch.
Old 12-31-2005, 07:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Re: electrical problem

Quote:
Originally posted by vancity944
i have a 84 944. one morning i went out to leave and it started right up but i had no wipers,heater fan and my headlights never came up, i have dash lights and signals.any help would be apprecited. im new here and it looks like a great place for tech and searching parts etc..thanx and happy new year to all
SoCal, IS the best one to listen to! (nah....lets just say.....one of the best!....). Nasty, and short sometimes, but pretty reliable, knowlegeable, AND, consistant! Don't listen to me.... I'm still a newbie....myself!

I, along with most, do not like these, electrical type problems! They can be a BEAR, to track down, sometimes.

By the way, WELCOME!! 2nd post! A good place to be.....here, that is!

There are MANY things these cars have going for them, AND, going against them (like any other car). The trick is........are you gonna be the type that does the work yourself, or the type that sends the work out to be done, and, your not REALLY interested in getting very much into it (it can be labor intensive....ya know), and just wanna get an idea of what your into, as far as cost? If, the later is it...........GOOD LUCK! ANYTHING GOES, as far as cost, and HASSLE. Hope it ain't your daily driver, or ONLY.

Starter switch, SURE could be it, and probably likely. Grounds are a BIG thing on these cars, along with...........what did the previous owner, do to the car.........before you got to it. ANY, mechanical/electrical switches or relays are subject to scrutiny. Dead shorts, frayed wiring, corroded connections, fried wiring, bad switches, could all play a part. These cars have many different circuts tied together, so, it makes it SO MUCH more fun this way.

Troubleshooting. Hard to troubleshoot the things that some of these previous owners may have done to the car's wiring........also And, time does take its toll, on ANY car's wiring, and condition.

Its really a matter of just getting in there, and looking it all over! Ya up for it? Are ya up for getting all the wiring diagrams (if needed), do you have the tools necessary, to go after this yourself? Do ya really LOVE this car? Hehe!.....Ok, thats enough from me. I'm just feeling longwinded tonight.... again!

Hi....Hugh!

Good luck!.....vancity944......we all have been there, at some point!
Old 12-31-2005, 08:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Electrical problems are very hands on. That is you will move from one test to another and branch when pointed in another direction. Can move quickly. It's very hard to do this over a form like this.

While it might twist ones little gray cells in trying to understand the schematics I strongly suggest that anyone with a 944 learn to read them.
Old 12-31-2005, 10:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I went out lastnight and everything worked again. Eventually it will happen again but thanx to you guys i should find the problem. Happy New Year to all

Parting a 85.5 and 2 86 944's ..2 automatics, 1 5 spd 87 944 S

06 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail
Old 01-01-2006, 09:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I have the same problem. Only mine's not working at the moment. Just dash lites work. The switch does sound suspicious though. I had this happen in my 928. I hope it's not the problem in the 968. It was a difficult to get to part on the 928.

Harvey
'02 Audi TT Turbo, 6 speed (Sold)
Old 01-02-2006, 02:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: