Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

No gauges

Over the last couple of months my gauges do not work. The car runs fine.

Also, my odometer was broken.

So yesterday I replaced the odometer gear and the electrical portion of the ignition switch.

Still no gauges. When you turn the ignition key to on position the only idiot light that comes on is the voltmeter. What would keep the other idiot light from comming on?

I replaced the DME relay last rear, also I just replace the X-relay.

When my car died last year on the highway that caused my to replace the DME relay, not only the engine stopped but all the gauges went dead.

Could the DME relay cause this gauge problem. but keep the engine running?
Old 01-01-2006, 05:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Sorry guys the car is a 1985/2 944 with 142,000 on it.

Thanks for the help.
Old 01-01-2006, 05:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Pull the gauges and check all of the bulbs, studs and electrical connections on the flexiable printed circuit. Also check the grounding posts on the body. Has there been any modifications to the fuse/relay box?
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 01-01-2006, 07:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

SoCal Driver

At what points should the ground be checked? The battery cables are secure...
The printed circuit loOKs good - why would the bulbs matter?

There is a resistor - fusible link loOKing thing behind the voltmeter that loOKs suspicious - kind of loose. Do you think we could jump that for testing? The low voltage light works OK but the rest of the cluster is dead. Even the parking break light doesn't work.

Perhaps we could trace the power supply through the circuit - all we have is a diagram - do you know where we could locate a more detailed schematic?

There is an add - on alarm system in the car - the Haynes manual shows a factory alarm control unit - was this standard on these cars? Perhaps it is related.

Thanks for the help!
Old 01-01-2006, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
There are a number of ground points on the body. I think the only one related to the gauges on an 85.5+ is driver's side, under the dash, by the hood release lever. I have 2 bolts at the above location, one with the instrument cluster ground, the 2nd was for the porsche radar detector (since removed).

Dirty Grounds would be the first (easiest) place to start, and source of most problems.

Aftermarket alarm *shouldn't* mess with the gauges, as they don't prohibit ignition. OEM alarms (an option) piggyback off the DME (atleast thats where mine is located) so I am assuming it disables the DME with no regard to gauges.

'94 Oldsmobile 88 Royale (winter beater)

Its not what you drive, its what drives you.
Old 01-01-2006, 08:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
The X buss relay feeds many of the "secondary" circuits. This relay is controlled by the ignition switch. Note: the early 944's ignition switch directly feeds the X-Buss circuit. Since you replaced the X relay check to see that is is still seated.

The DME/fuel pump relay does not control any other circuits than the power to the DME, injectors and the fuel pump.

The circuits in the Haynes manuals are primarily for the early 944's although there seems to be an attempt to show the 86 model as well. I would have to check it against the factory manual electrical diagrams.

Having everything fail at the same time is usually a battery terminal problem and/or the main buss bars in the fuse/relay box the 10 gauge wires from the battery feed.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 01-01-2006, 09:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I looked on the drivers side by the hood release and I can't find the connections. Just above the hood release is a box attached to the side wall it's stainless steel and is about 4" wide by 6" long. What is this? Could you please be more specific. Do I have to remove the carpeting?

Thanks.
Old 01-01-2006, 12:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Schubert
I looked on the drivers side by the hood release and I can't find the connections. Just above the hood release is a box attached to the side wall it's stainless steel and is about 4" wide by 6" long. What is this? Could you please be more specific. Do I have to remove the carpeting?
No carpeting removal required, this is higher up than the carpeting goes, and higher up than the stainless steel box (which should be your cruise control unit, BTW).

Looking up, under the dash, near the hood release lever, you should see the following brown wires (center of pic). You'll notice the bottom side of the fuse/relay box. That should give you some point of reference.

Thats them (in this pic, the ground bolts are highlighted red/yellow).

'94 Oldsmobile 88 Royale (winter beater)

Its not what you drive, its what drives you.

Last edited by livewirevoodoo; 01-01-2006 at 02:51 PM..
Old 01-01-2006, 02:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Guy's.

just to let you know the problem is solved. It was painful getting there. I replaced the ignition relay X in "G-14" on the fuse board. Which did not correct the problem.

Replaced ignition relay 15 in "G-2" on the fuse board. This corrected the problem. I have all the gauges now.

Lessons learned.

Never give up.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: