Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Battery fine, dash lites but no crank. What gives?

So, I pull my radio out to look at it, but it's still hooked up. Break the electrical door lock button in the process...and car still runs but electrical door lock button is sunk down in the console a bit. Radio lite works except I dont' have the radio code to get it running so I've ordered a new radio rather than fool with it. In the meantime, the car had been starting and driving fine.

But today...I go out and it acts like it's got a dead battery. Won't start. No lights, no starter click, no nothing...however, the dash lights work, radio lite works, and the electrical door locks work. What could be wrong?

I checked the battery and connections...tight, clean, and battery is at full charge.

What might have I done? Activated some sort of car immobilizer?

Harvey
All because PO lost the code to the radio.
'02 Audi TT Turbo, 6 speed (Sold)
Old 01-01-2006, 01:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Sorry I posted twice. I'm in a panic.

Harvey
Old 01-01-2006, 01:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ilikemy944
Do the lights dim or anything when you turn the key?

Current: '86 951 Sunroof Delete - '89 951 - '83 944 Spec - '08 Cayenne Turbo
Past: '88 924S Track - '86 944 16v - '87 951 - '87 951 - '88 951S - '08 Cayman S - '87 944 Track - '93 968
Old 01-01-2006, 02:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
One apex at a time

Garage
Jack it up and try hot wiring the starter. Sounds like a solenoid may have died. It could be the ignition switch but I would check the starter first.

How did you test the battery? Have you tried jumping it? Load testing a battery is the best way. Load testers are cheep and a good investment if you don’t have one.

General Car Specs & Mods
Project Megasquirt 924s
Old 01-01-2006, 02:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to bryanthompson Send a message via AIM to bryanthompson Send a message via Yahoo to bryanthompson
second on the load testing, my charger said my battery was fine but it still wouldn't crank. I had lights and everything, but it just wouldn't crank. I jumped it and it was alright.

I suspect my battery has permanent damage, though... It hasn't held a charge since the first dead battery incident, and it's a brand new battery... maybe 25 hours of running time total.
Old 01-01-2006, 04:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard

Quote:
Originally posted by bryanthompson
second on the load testing, my charger said my battery was fine but it still wouldn't crank. I had lights and everything, but it just wouldn't crank. I jumped it and it was alright.

I suspect my battery has permanent damage, though... It hasn't held a charge since the first dead battery incident, and it's a brand new battery... maybe 25 hours of running time total.
Running a battery down completely flat is very bad for it unless it's a deep-cycle battery. Nothing kills an automotive battery faster than having it run down to dead a couple of times. Learned that through experience.
Guards Red 1986 951 <- Seattle car (Gretchen)
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 01-01-2006, 08:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

You don't have concerns about jumping a car that has lots of brains that could be fried?

I can't get any lights, except the dash lights. My battery charger does say the battery is fine but I'll try a different battery and see what happens. I'd be surprised if it's the battery (but pleased since that's a simple fix).

Thanks,

Harvey
Old 01-02-2006, 02:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I don't much believe in coincidences, particularly where I've been working on the car, but I took the battery to a shop "just to be sure" and even though it shows full charge on my charger...under load it shows 12volts… but only 60 amps (out of 600). This probably accounts for dash lights coming on but not cranking. It takes amps. So...I bought a new battery and it was about half charge when I got it so it's charging right now. BTW, first try w/new battery the car popped into life and ran great.

After unhooking the battery and fully charging, I'll let it sit over night and test it again in the morning to see if it's still holding the charge....then hook it back to the car and test to see if I have any kind of slow leak.

It was a Porsche brand battery that was in it and it may have been in there a while. We'll see. I HATE electrical stuff. The carfax showed that it was in the shop in 2004 for an electrical problem. I'm trying to track down the dealer and see if I can find out what he did.

Thanks, guys...I hope this fixes it. New radio and door switch are ordered. Always something...but it's worth it I hope. I eventually worked most of the gremlins out of the 928 and it’s been running great…looks like the 968 has a few things to work out also. One by one…

Harvey
Old 01-02-2006, 01:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard

Quote:
Originally posted by hughett
You don't have concerns about jumping a car that has lots of brains that could be fried?
It's not going to fry anything unless you hook it up wrong... I've jumpped a lot of newer cars, it's no big deal as long as you don't hook it up backwards or something.
Guards Red 1986 951 <- Seattle car (Gretchen)
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 01-02-2006, 09:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: