Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Cost to replace rear speakers

Excluding the cost of the speakers how much should I expect to pay to have the rear speakers replaced? Anybody recently pay to have this done? Mine are starting to sound bad. And yes I will take the car to a shop that will not bust the panels, they know how to remove rear windows if they need to. Thanks.
P.S. I will send the bill to Dr. Porsche for putting cardboard speakers in a place you can't even get to, what a joke !!
Old 01-01-2006, 04:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Decent set of rear speakers? $100 to $150 for a pair. Installation? Not sure of cost, but it took me around 2.5 hours to DIY. Pretty straight forward.

'94 Oldsmobile 88 Royale (winter beater)

Its not what you drive, its what drives you.
Old 01-01-2006, 04:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Virginia Rocks!

Quote:
Originally posted by livewirevoodoo
Decent set of rear speakers? $100 to $150 for a pair. Installation? Not sure of cost, but it took me around 2.5 hours to DIY. Pretty straight forward.
What fit well? I replaced my crumbling fronts to find out when driving it all of the sound you hear comes from the back (since your ears are much closer to it!)
Old 01-01-2006, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to scheistermeiste Send a message via Yahoo to scheistermeiste
4x6 stock

Asking if you should replace that timing belt is like asking if you should re-use a condom that may have in hole in it with a hooker.
Old 01-01-2006, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Ya... 4x6. In fact I had a little bit more flexibility fitting the back 4x6 than I did with the front. (Front 4x6s are a bit trickier because of less clearance/depth)

'94 Oldsmobile 88 Royale (winter beater)

Its not what you drive, its what drives you.
Old 01-01-2006, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
That Guy

Garage
The front you will need a 4x6m. However i was able to fit regular 4x6's with spacers and the stock grill. Its a tight fit on the late style interior, you have a bit more clearance (meaning the grill can stick out further) on the early style interior.

The rear (rear seat that is) speakers are 4x6, regular size. Some of the later cars came with the cutout for the 4x6 speaker and a block off plate that covered the 6.5 inch (i think thats the size, i might be wrong on it) speaker hole. Meanings you already have the cutout for the 6.5 inch speaker...all you need to do is fabricate a piece of metal to cover the 4x6 hole instead of the 6.5 inch. There is a pretty detailed website that has a bunch of pictures...i have no motivation to find it..but im sure it will turn up if you search on the Rennlist forums.

From what i have read, this blockoff plate exists on the '87+ cars. However my '87 944 did not have it. I do know however that a persion with a '87 944 Turbo had it. So it might have been a midyear type thing.

You can also fit 6x9's in the rear hatch. I have seen a number of 944's with the speakers cutout into the rear hatch carpet cubby holes, however have never seen them upclose in detail.

I was lazy when i replaced my rear speakers, i actually cut the perforated speaker hole out. I took the old speaker out and put Infinity 4x6 plate speakers in place. It was a very tight fit back there. I then used old grills i had to cover the cutout. Its presentable but was sort of a halfass way to go about doing things. I have Blaupunkt 4x6's in the front with a Alpine reciever. Quality is decent, clear but not great at super high volume (distortion). And not much bass in the sound. But i could care less really. I am interested in seeing pictures of anyone with the 6x9's in the rear hatch carpet. I might consider doing that on my own car.
Past worth mentioning - 1987 924S, 1987 944, 1988 944T with 5.7L LS1

Last edited by Techno Duck; 01-01-2006 at 08:08 PM..
Old 01-01-2006, 08:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Some of the later cars came with the cutout for the 4x6 rear speakers? Anybody have a picture of this they can post? I wonder if it's possible to mod my 88 so it will have these cutouts.
Old 01-02-2006, 05:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Cars & Coffee Killer

The Infinity 4x6 plates fit well in the rear. They are a little wide for the opening in the doors, but a Dremel or angle grinder can fix that problem.

"There is freedom in risk, just as there is oppression in security."
Old 01-02-2006, 01:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Old 928 Guy

Well I had an unproductive weekend with the stereo...my '97 944na has an aftermarket Kenwood stereo..we noticed the rear speakers were not working at all, so this weekend I pulled the radio to see if the problem was up there.

Well one rear speaker was connected and one was not, so I soldered up the other speaker, and viola!...nothing...not a peep. (yes with the fader set to full rear).

So now I don't know if the radio is just bad, or the speakers are disconnected, or what. I was guessing even if the speakers were blown they would make some kind of noise..

I'm really wondering what the P.O. was doing by wiring up one speaker?!?...

So now I'm going to try and find a boom box i can connect to the speaker wires to see if there's anything there..I'm hoping to avoid a tearout of those pesky rear speakers for nothing!
Old 01-03-2006, 01:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

just swap the left and right speaker wires with the physical speakers...

2008 Mini Cooper // '83 Porsche 944 // '01 Mazda Protege [sold] //
"Never break more than you fix!" - SoCal Driver
Old 01-03-2006, 01:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Old 928 Guy

well even the one that was connected wasn't making any noise, but you did give me an idea that I could swap the wires on the front and rear...that would tell me something one way or another
Old 01-03-2006, 03:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

the fader also might be your problem. Same thing happened to mine. I ended up wiring around the fader and it worked great.
Old 01-28-2006, 11:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Old 928 Guy

Mine didn't have the fader..i think some of the newer ones had radios without the fader (at least that's what i figured out from the schematic and the actual wiring...i decided to buy some 6x9 speaker boxes and new speakers and just put them in the back..i saw just how puny 4x6 speakers are..can't imagine any of them really sound decent..and this way I don't have to tear into the rear panelling
Old 01-28-2006, 05:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by surfdog4
Mine didn't have the fader..i think some of the newer ones had radios without the fader (at least that's what i figured out from the schematic and the actual wiring...i decided to buy some 6x9 speaker boxes and new speakers and just put them in the back..i saw just how puny 4x6 speakers are..can't imagine any of them really sound decent..and this way I don't have to tear into the rear panelling
same thing happened to mine, except the previous owner cut into the carpet over the cubby holes to mount the speakers. I would have much preferred the speaker boxes.
Old 01-29-2006, 10:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: