Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Porsche Crest What do you think?

Just finished my second set of porsche wheels. Let me know what you think. They are going on a mkIII gti vr6.

Oh and i polished up an 8v intake manifold for the hell of it.
Old 01-02-2006, 04:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Look very good - the manifold looks well good!
Old 01-02-2006, 05:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Hey thanks a lot man....i actually pulled an all nighter with my friend last night to get the wheels and manifold polished. The manifold is off a project 2-liter that i decided id adopt. 90,000 miles on the engine and when it came out of the car it ran mint. I am just going to clean it up, paint a few things, and hopefully learn as much as possible about motor rebuilds....

Actually i was hoping someone could tell me whether its a good or bad idea to sandblast the interior of the manifold for increased airflow. I have access to a sandblaster for free and if it helps the engine run better then why not right?
Old 01-02-2006, 05:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to wizkid918
im not sure i would sand blast it, on aluminum that can cause pitting. but there are other types of media blasting, that can be done from certain shops that would be safe
Old 01-02-2006, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

is it better to leave the interior of the manifold rough?
Old 01-02-2006, 07:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to wizkid918
you can spray some brake cleaner in there to get rid of some of the buildup, you have it off, you mine as well clean it. but leaving the actual surface untouched is better than taking a sandblaster to it imo.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

meister member

Garage
nice polish job. I just started polishing my 16" fuchs. I have a new found appreciation for people who take on polishing jobs.

Speedy
Favorite Road = www.tailofthedragon.com 318 turns in 11 miles (11 min 20 sec best run)
Old 01-02-2006, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to procon
If you're going to blast, I suggest a glass bead media.

They clean, deburr, peen, and finish a surface without changing its tolerance. This media is inert, contains no free silica, leaves no residue, and can be recycled many times. Coarse beads (40-60 and 60-120 mesh sizes) remove heavy material and produce a glossy finish. Fine beads (100-170 and 170-325 mesh sizes) clean faster in light applications and produce a matte finish.

* Info swiped from McMaster-Car
Old 01-02-2006, 01:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Sand-blasting is a bit rough.
I sand-blasted the wheels on my old 924lux to remove 20 years of crap so that i could shine them up.
I gave up in the end as i found it hard to polish them so they were replaced with turbo 4-stud alloys which looked much better anyway.
I would have thought that it would improve induction if the inside of the manifold was polished too.
Old 01-02-2006, 02:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: