Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Burn the fire.

Garage
Angry Be Careful On the Roads

Just a reminder to those getting stormy weather: Our cars will get around on you! This just happened to me on my way to lunch... Took a left turn slowly in 2nd and the rear end just broke loose and did a complete 480º spin. It's also new tire season. I luckily didn't hit anything or anyone so that was good for makin' my a§§hole pucker up to the size of a decimal point

Take turns slower than you think you should! I wasn't even going 15 mph and this happened. Check your tiars, too.

"Drive it like you stole it."
Old 01-02-2006, 11:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Awww, you mean I have to go slow? I usually have a little fun in the rain(nothing that puts others at risk :P). I do have to agree with you tho, these cars can get a mind of their own in the water.

Past:
89' 944 S2 Guards Red Now in the hands of a Pelican who has been wanting another p-car
Old 01-02-2006, 11:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Re: Be Careful On the Roads

Quote:
Originally posted by Brando
....that was good for makin' my a§§hole pucker up to the size of a decimal point
.... I wasn't even going 15 mph and this happened. Check your tiars, too.
Taking driver Skills courses and participating in Autocross on a regular basis will help take control of situations like that.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Sorry, I suppose that comment was a little snarky sounding. Didn't mean to be.

On a related note, I was once driving across a bridge during a cold winter while in my late teens. Did several rotations. Was scary.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
White and Nerdy

Garage
I've never spun my car before. Not my first or current. I've had the same moment before in 2nd in the wet making a right turn before, but kept the car neatly under control. Kept a bit of throttle to push the rear in, extremely light, but enough. Same time steered where I wanted the 944 to go. I've only had it surprise me twice, once in wet, once in dry.

Other times its fairly intentional. In wet, throttle and brake input is definately more sensitive to the car's attitude in a corner. Your advice on taking it easy is good enless you know what to do. I never push both grip and road width at the same time. If I want to practice my grip levels, I'll do it where I have good run off incase I make a mistake. Never needed to use it - yet but if you are gonna play around on the roads be carefull! I'm a rare guy that generaly drives teh speed limit, so I make up for it in my turn offs to keep my times to locations low.
Old 01-02-2006, 02:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I've gone sideways on my car before(showing off ). I would Purposely try to get my car out of control just to see how it reacts( My own lil driving school). However i havetn accidentally spined out like the stories i hear YET! ( knock on wood).. But Maybe the Extra pounds in the Hatch area from my sound system helps, I'm fealing the weather too there Brando. Drive safe, i'm not going on there unless i have to :P
85 325e BMW T-boned R.I.P.

Last edited by AA_Ezra; 01-02-2006 at 02:24 PM..
Old 01-02-2006, 02:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

That Guy

Garage
I have never spun my 944 unintentionally on public roads. The best ive done at an autocross was a 540 through two gates, didnt hit any cones amazingly! There was smoke everywhere, i was actually getting hit in the face with pebbles, rocks, sand whatever i was kicking up as i spun. That particular time i knew the car was about to spin and just gave it all gas and cut the wheel harder.

I have spun multiple times on a public road unintentionally also. Its a long story and i dont care to go into to many details as im to lazy to type it all at the moment. But i was with my sister in her '89 Dodge Raider (same as the Mitsui. Montero). We spun across 4 lanes of highway (were coming up the onramp). We did a 540 across all four lanes with moderate traffic. We amazingly did not hit anyone. We hit up against the guard rail. No damage AT ALL on her car. Just a scuff mark on the rear bumper. To this day i cannot forget the face of the man driving the green Mazda Miata. We were facing him as we spun across the 1st or 2nd lane from the right and i remember seeing a look of pure terror. This was all in the slush...with tires that had little tread on them.
Past worth mentioning - 1987 924S, 1987 944, 1988 944T with 5.7L LS1
Old 01-02-2006, 03:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Techno Duck
I have spun multiple times on a public road unintentionally also. Its a long story and i dont care to go into to many details as im to lazy to type it all at the moment. But i was with my sister in her '89 Dodge Raider (same as the Mitsui. Montero). We spun across 4 lanes of highway (were coming up the onramp). We did a 540 across all four lanes with moderate traffic. We amazingly did not hit anyone. We hit up against the guard rail. No damage AT ALL on her car. Just a scuff mark on the rear bumper. To this day i cannot forget the face of the man driving the green Mazda Miata. We were facing him as we spun across the 1st or 2nd lane from the right and i remember seeing a look of pure terror. This was all in the slush...with tires that had little tread on them.
you sound like you're proud of this....

2008 Mini Cooper // '83 Porsche 944 // '01 Mazda Protege [sold] //
"Never break more than you fix!" - SoCal Driver
Old 01-02-2006, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Burn the fire.

Garage
Re: Re: Be Careful On the Roads

Quote:
Originally posted by WolfeMacleod
Taking driver Skills courses and participating in Autocross on a regular basis will help take control of situations like that.
So very true -- I've been doing that in the 914 which handles a LOT differently. I can recover from almost anything -- in the 914. But this ass-heavy beast... Just stomp the clutch pedal, tap the brakes and let it go -- I have no idea what it will want to do going the wrong way.

Old 01-02-2006, 07:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to iobound
I spun my 944 for the first time on public roads this past weekend. I was about 1/2 mile from home going uphill on about 1/4" of fresh snow. No matter how much correction I used I did a lazy 180 and ended up heading back down the hill. No damage except to my ego :-)
1988 944 NA w/4valve S motor (Daily Driver)
1992 965 Coupe 3.4 Liter, webers, GE60 (Garage Queen)
1998 Volvo V70 Wagon
2002 Barbie Electric Kids Jeep
Old 01-03-2006, 05:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Brando
But this ass-heavy beast...
Actually the balance is 50-50. Is this what happened to your first 944????
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 01-03-2006, 06:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Actually, I find the 944 very easy to control on slippery surfaces. I'm not the greatest at braking, but I'm working on creating an instinct to pump the pedal. If you break traction, just lift slightly and correct...it does quite well at speeds up to 30. I wouldn't intentionally try that at higher speeds.

Driving a 2WD ATV for years really helped me, IMO. I used to drift and use throttle control and steering in snow...I feel right at home behind the wheel of a 944 in a little snow. Know your limits, don't take ridiculous risks, and the car is almost fun on a snow-covered backroad.

Last edited by yellowline; 01-03-2006 at 09:51 PM..
Old 01-03-2006, 07:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
White and Nerdy

Garage
THe 944 may kick it out if you do something stupid, but its realy easy to bring back in if youo ver cook throttle and still have pavement room. I was shocked once when I dropped to 1st and gunned it in right turn onto the road in the wet at just how far it went and was still under my control. It realy is a fun car. I love the 944, glad they are in my price range. Its very difficult to find a car i like as much for under $20k.

Last edited by Tervuren; 01-03-2006 at 08:25 PM..
Old 01-03-2006, 08:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Burn the fire.

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by SoCal Driver
Actually the balance is 50-50. Is this what happened to your first 944????
It is 50-50 eh?

Weird, why does it like to break the rear end loose so easily?

No, my first 944 was a result of stupid driving, period. This incident monday was completely accidental and I was being cautious.

Oh, since I will be getting new tires, I decided new wheels would be good too. Had them checked and I have two bent phonedials. Front right and rear right. I'm going with these:

17"X7.5" fronts and 17"x8.5" rears. Fitted with some Yoko AVS's or Fuzions and I'll be styling. Late backspacing/offset too. Should be real nice.

Old 01-04-2006, 01:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Good tires. Straight rims. Makes a world of difference.

Let me know when and where you are going to chain off the rear bumper and "pull" it out. I want to video tape it.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 01-04-2006, 07:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to hpaulb
Used to do it intentionally in large parking lots as a kid. At that time all vehicles were rear wheel drive. Had a lot of fun although a few times just barely missed a few lamp posts. I still have a little fun every once in a while but being older, I use some common selse. First did it with the Porsche a few months back with lots of room on the road and a friend in the car. Wanted to see how it handled in the rain. Amazingly surprised at how much different/better it is. Scared the hell out of my anal retentive friend though. Just that made it worth while. Another story in the snow. Superiour braking but wide tires and a light car made me nervous all the way home in that snow storm. Not to mention being so small beside all the sliding transports made me feel like I was going to go home as a pancake.
03 Altima Tin box
05 Pontiac Sunfire, 64 VW dirt buggy
Old 01-04-2006, 10:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to fierochris Send a message via Yahoo to fierochris
how do Pusher Porsches act in this wheather?
would the weight being so far to the rear cause them to spin out easy?
Lamborghini diablo replica w/ 350 V8
85.5' 944 n/a euro ( gave to dad )
87 fiero cp. candy blue, chrome 16's
90' DSM 24psi. 18G fmic,
82' benz 300sd turbo, intercooled.
73' Karmann Ghia cab. sold
04' Standard 250s ox, euro bb 28/10 gearing, odyssey, profile, 29lbs,
check out www.vintagevwcars.com

wanted: 914, 944, 928 project
Old 01-05-2006, 06:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by fierochris
how do Pusher Porsches act in this wheather?
would the weight being so far to the rear cause them to spin out easy?
Actually, no. I hear RR cars are good in the snow.

My dad had a Fiat 850 Spyder that he remembers as a good snow car, seeing as how the entire powertrain is over the drive wheels. It would be like driving an FF car in reverse. I'd imagine the steering would suck, but you'd have traction with appropriate tires.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to pokey
My aircooled VWs always did well in the snow. Busses, especially.
1955 BMW R69
1999 Range Rover Callaway #011 of 220 (Yeah, as in Callaway Corvette...)
Old 01-07-2006, 10:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

the superior driver uses his superior judgement to keep out of situations that would require his superior skills
Old 01-08-2006, 07:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: