Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
Mike - I moved to West Hartford, off park road and just a couple blocks from West Hartford center. It's a great location.

For the floor, I will probably end up just getting one of those mats... easy, cheap, and looks okay.

The electrical is an enigma. There are plenty of power outlets and light fixtures, but there seems to be no power running out to the garage! I don't know what to do about this, short of calling an electrician and shelling out big bucks. Right now I am running an extension cord from the house's exterior outlets to the garage. As long as I don't have too many things running at once (I wouldn't run a heater at the same time as the air compressor, for example), it shouldn't be a problem for now... but I am looking at more long-term possibilities.

Also, your comment about lighting came about a half hour too late... I just bought a set of 40 watt flourescents and a $15 fixture. I don't think it's cold-start, but I won't be working out there when it's freezing out anyhow. If I do, the 500watt floodlights should do just fine. I am mostly thinking of spring and summer with most of these options.

Pat, I am intrigued by your pegboard wall idea... this sounds practical and would probably look okay, too, with a coat of white paint. Would pegboard run much more expensive than drywall? Remember, a 8'X11' sheet of drywall runs for just about $9...
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 01-04-2006, 12:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Holy F!!! I own some property on park rd (Part of the AC Petersen building). i've over there all the time.

PM me

'92 968
'01 VW Jetta TDi
Old 01-04-2006, 01:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

The pegboard can be purchased already white. It is more expensive than drywall, (home depot-lowes) but I can't tell you how much. Comes in 4x8 sheets and you don't have to tape and sand, although if I did a garage in sheet rock I doubt I would tape and sand anyway. If you do this get the sheets with the 1/4" holes rather than the 1/8" as the hooks are more substantial and you can hang larger, heavier items. I believe you can also use 1/8" hooks in the 1/4" holes but I haven't tried it.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
The pegboard might actually be a better option... since it comes in 4'X8' as opposed to 8'X11', I can hang the pegboard from the top of the garage and have a little extra room to work near the floor, an extra 6 inches deep for a couple of feet off the floor to work with a jack (the garage wall is 11', I believe).

Anybody have any idea how much 4'X8' pegboard sheets run nowadays?
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 01-04-2006, 02:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

The new garage looks good fusco, def has lots of potential. Thanks for making me jealous as I start shopping for a carport...

The pegboard is def the way to go, there are loads of great peg accessories out there for hanging all sorts of stuff.

An aluminum pegboard would prob be like $200, but a normal pegboard is signifgantly cheaper. I wouldn't recommend painting it as you might fill in the holes!

ps say hi to the Z'er for me
Old 01-04-2006, 04:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

I dont have a problem with the temp down here in Aus with winter only getting down to about 13c (55). So I lined my Garage with a mixture of peg board and concrete reo you can get it in different sizes and will carry alot of heavy stuff ie Lawn mower, car ramps, chain block, just use some steel strapping over the studs for extra strength. And it is very cost effective as opposed to peg board.

83 NA Gaurds Red ( Home at last)
Holden/Opel Vectra 2002
Old 01-04-2006, 04:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

1st insulation: You need to insulate exterior walls only. If the guy next door insulated the marriage wall, why would you do your side too? Also, If you're going to be doing a project (more than a couple of hours)and it's cold outside, I'd find a way to hang something (blanket?) in front of the garage door.

2nd lighting: Ask around, check for stuff in the papers. I bought my garage lighting from a guy who bought up stuff from an auction from a public school. I got 4 tube 4' lights with bulbs for less money than the bulbs alone would have cost. And more is better. Really, I doubt you'll ever say: "Man, I wish it was a little darker in here, I can see more than I really want."

3rd: No matter how organized you are there is no garage that is big enough. If you can store stuff overhead, don't block off access to that area for insulation or whatever. The next day You'll get a free exhaust system, or an unbelieveable deal on wheels and tires (that would have fit great between the rafters/trusses). Insulate the ceiling, but leave a way to get above it.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Re: I'm Back! News, Garage Project, etc...

Okay, I've decided for sure what I am going to do (cost-prohibative):

MARRIAGE WALL: White pegboard over the length of the wall (Mike944 mentioned I might want to consider vapor barrier between the pegboard and the wall - can anyone give me some info on this?) from the very top of the divider to about 2' or so from the floor, to allow extra room for jacks etc. (MikeCT's suggestion).

To customize things a little bit, I am going to do some kind of mural - I am thinking of a "PORSCHE" logo stretching along the length of the wall, using tape and spraypaint (or maybe just hand paint). Some shelving will go on this wall, mostly for literature (EXCELLENCE, shop manuals). In the furthermost corner will go an old wood dresser that will be painted and used as a makeshift tool chest/cabinet.

Quote:
Originally posted by CJFusco

OUTSIDE WALL: White pegboard over the majority of the wall, except over that center section in which there seems to be some narrow shelving built into the wall. This area will be painted to match the pegboard (or maybe I will get creative and use Porsche crest yellow) and used to store often-used cleaning supplies and fluids (oil, antifreeze, etc.).

Quote:
Originally posted by CJFusco

WINDOW WALL: This is the one I haven't really figured out yet. Should I use the leftover pegboard and work around the window with it? or maybe I should drywall just this wall? In any case, it will be finished somehow. Under the window will be a workbench and area, probably with air compressor underneath. On its left will be the dresser/toolchest. On its right will be (probably) some kind of shelving unit or cabinet (Home Depot has some nice and cheap options), either against the window wall or against the outside wall. The 500Watt floodlamps will go somewhere near this corner.

Have a good mental picture of what I have in mind? Good, now picture this with a variety of Porsche posters, street signs, LEMANS movie posters, a warm summer night, baseball on the radio, beer in hand, and a nice white 944 up on jackstands with some kind of project in progress...
Old 01-05-2006, 08:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Vapor barrier is nothing more than plastic sheeting.

"Don't retreat, reload." Sarah Palin
Old 01-05-2006, 10:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to hpaulb
Home Depot 6 mil plastic. Form around 2x4,s and push in so you don,t poke holes in it with the peg bourd pins. Used just to keep moisture down. IDEA. Call around and look for seconds windows. Can't go wrong adding a larger window and especially with the new plastic frames and vacumm sealed glass. 5X4 window should be in the 50-100$ range for a second or return. Lots around and you can't beet natural light. If you have the hight, string some 2X4,s accross the span every two wall 2x4,s. Excellent for storage. If you have some weight, simply run a wire cable under it. Your wife will love you for getting it off the floor and you can hide/store far more stuff.
03 Altima Tin box
05 Pontiac Sunfire, 64 VW dirt buggy
Old 01-05-2006, 10:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Good idea... but no wife. At least not yet
Old 01-05-2006, 11:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

how about a nice 62" LCD HD television hanging over that window for the ball games? who needs to see outside? honestly?

2008 Mini Cooper // '83 Porsche 944 // '01 Mazda Protege [sold] //
"Never break more than you fix!" - SoCal Driver
Old 01-05-2006, 11:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Eldorado
how about a nice 62" LCD HD television hanging over that window for the ball games? who needs to see outside? honestly?
Well, just set up a web cam outside and you can use that tv as a "window" when you feel like looking outside
Old 01-06-2006, 11:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Pegboard going up this afternoon. Will post pics later
Old 01-06-2006, 01:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Well, the pegboard has STARTED going up. Taking a little longer than I thought it would (as these things always do)

New overhead flourescents, window blinds, and insulation going up:

MikeCT and his girlfriend lending a hand...

Finished for the night... it will be painted white, eventually

Old 01-06-2006, 06:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to fierochris Send a message via Yahoo to fierochris
I love your hoodie, do you ride bmx?
Lamborghini diablo replica w/ 350 V8
85.5' 944 n/a euro ( gave to dad )
87 fiero cp. candy blue, chrome 16's
90' DSM 24psi. 18G fmic,
82' benz 300sd turbo, intercooled.
73' Karmann Ghia cab. sold
04' Standard 250s ox, euro bb 28/10 gearing, odyssey, profile, 29lbs,
check out www.vintagevwcars.com

wanted: 914, 944, 928 project
Old 01-06-2006, 08:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Well, it's MikeCT's hoodie... and, um... didn't you break your leg or something riding bmx, mike?
Old 01-06-2006, 11:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to fierochris Send a message via Yahoo to fierochris
I tore my ACL and no longer ride competivly, s i know how that feels
Lamborghini diablo replica w/ 350 V8
85.5' 944 n/a euro ( gave to dad )
87 fiero cp. candy blue, chrome 16's
90' DSM 24psi. 18G fmic,
82' benz 300sd turbo, intercooled.
73' Karmann Ghia cab. sold
04' Standard 250s ox, euro bb 28/10 gearing, odyssey, profile, 29lbs,
check out www.vintagevwcars.com

wanted: 914, 944, 928 project
Old 01-07-2006, 12:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Attempts to hijack the thread aside...

The one problem I encountered while putting up the pegboard and hardboard was that, as some sheets were stacked in different piles, they were warped slightly differently, so some of the edges would stick out more, or in more, etc....

I was stumped until Mike recommended putting small pieces of extra wood behind the errant corners and screwing all four corners into it. Now they are just about all flat and lined up perfectly. I tell ya, that boy is always thinkin.
Old 01-07-2006, 11:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Make sure you get all your wiring for lighting, switches, and outlets in before drywall. All the outlets should be 20 amp and so you can run powerful tools with no worries. Maybe even make your compressor seperate. Good luck
Old 01-07-2006, 11:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: