Pelican Parts Forums

Pelican Parts Forums (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/)
-   Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-924-944-968-technical-forum/)
-   -   I'm Back! News, Garage Project, etc... (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-924-944-968-technical-forum/258885-im-back-news-garage-project-etc.html)

CJFusco 01-02-2006 03:15 PM

I'm Back! News, Garage Project, etc...

Well, some of you may (or may not) have noticed my conspicuous absence from the board for the past month and a half or so... well, I moved into my own place, and I didn't have an internet connection yet. Now I do.

Here's the really exciting news: I HAVE MY OWN GARAGE! I moved in with a couple of friends who have lived here for many years... they have just used the garage as a kind of carport for awhile, but since they know how I'm a car nut, they pretty much told me that the garage is mine and I can do whatever I want with it.

Not only do I have a place to store the 944 when the weather sucks, but I now have an opportunity to create a decent garage. I have this image in my head of summer nights, friends over enjoying a cold one, Red Sox game on the radio while we tinker with cars...

When I first got to the house, the garage was a friggin mess...

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1136242888.jpg

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1136243060.jpg

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1136243183.jpg

But since then I have swept it out, cleaned out all the junk, and put up insulation.

Next on the agenda is drywall, paint, lighting... I already got an air compressor for myself, but I would like to eventually get some kind of heat source - propane or something - and tool chests, workbenches, etc. Of course, the walls will be decorated with Porsche memorabilia... :D

Anyhow, it should be a fun project. I will post more pics here and keep the thread going as an "ongoing project" thread as I go along...

AA_Ezra 01-02-2006 03:28 PM

Ah, Yes that's my dream too Garage just for my car and a place to work on it. Keep up the work man Looks like it's only Good times from here on out

Moneyguy1 01-02-2006 04:27 PM

What is that nasty white stuff on the ground?

It looks like the garage has a center wall and is divided into two separate bays. Also, how is the floor? Hard to tell from the pics as to condition/material.

Heat...Around a car, propane is not a good idea unless the actual heating unit is outside and ducted into the garage itself. There are a number of units like that availble. Do a search.

speedracing944 01-02-2006 04:48 PM

Sweet! I remember my first garage. It was a small 1 car. That is when I started collecting all my needed tools like the air compressor, heater, jack and stands. That garage is where I attempted and accomplished my first painting project... Ahhhh the memories.

Speedys wife hops in to add: And I remember the sweetness of getting boxes of toxic chemicals, tools, and greasy heavy man-stuff OUT of the household! Ahhh, the memories.... true story, this guy once sanded a 25-foot sailboat mast in our apartment's living room.
Yeah. I Like the garage too.

legion 01-02-2006 05:27 PM

I never had a garage until I bought my house 3 years ago. I guess I'm lucky in that I went straight to a 3-car garage. (And now I'm thinking I need a 4-car garage...it never ends.)

I still haven't gotten around to insulating my third bay...maybe next year.

Anyway, it's so nice to have a level place to jack up your car and do work out of the wind and weather.

Here's what the work area in my garage looks like:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1135302659.jpg

Verruckt 01-02-2006 05:46 PM

The only thing worse then having no garage is... having a 2.5 car garage and then moving to the East coast and renting a home with .85 garage. My garage is so damn small I can't even get my wife's minivan in the garage and open the doors! Five sets of wheels, wood working tools, and many many boxes of Porsche parts makes for a very tight fit when working on the P car. Not to sure where I am going to put all these boxes of xmas "stuff".

speedracing944 01-02-2006 07:56 PM

I have a large 1 car garage with an attached 12'X15' shop. Here is a pic of my shop with all the crunchy 944S parts thrown all over.
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1136260580.jpg

Speedy:)

Brando 01-02-2006 08:38 PM

Congrats on the garage, CJ :D

And yes, some of us did notice your leave of absence. I didn't spit coffee on my monitor laughing in the morning so much -- i knew something was off.

Question, what's that white stuff? Did your lawn shed it's summer coat or something?

nynor 01-02-2006 08:52 PM

i use a 1000 watt halogen work light (two 500 watt units on a stand) for my light AND my heat in the garage. trust me, its plenty of both, and my garage has NO insulation.

CJFusco 01-02-2006 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Moneyguy1

It looks like the garage has a center wall and is divided into two separate bays. Also, how is the floor? Hard to tell from the pics as to condition/material.

Yeah, the other bay belongs to a neighbor. He already has his garage bay insulated, drywalled, heated, lighted, and with a Nissan 350Z parked in it. Not bad.

The floor is asphalt. Not really sure what to do about that yet... Griots sells vinyl/rubber mats, as well as snap-together tiles. Maybe that will be an option.

Quote:

Originally posted by nynor

i use a 1000 watt halogen work light (two 500 watt units on a stand) for my light AND my heat in the garage. trust me, its plenty of both, and my garage has NO insulation.

I have one too (actually I'm not sure of the wattage... it's a tripod work light with two large halogen lamps on top, which are removable... I am guessing it is the same thing) - it was given to me, if you can believe the luck - as well as a small electric heater. Maybe this will be enough at least for the time being.

MikeCT 01-03-2006 04:59 AM

If you guys are that interested in the white stuff I'd be happy to ship some out to you
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1136293128.jpg

sca037 01-03-2006 05:15 AM

You might want to check out the GARAGE JUNKIES site to help with ideas on flooring and other improvements.
Having a garage is a major quality of life issue for us car nuts :cool:

Cheers,
Brian
(I'm sca037 on there too ;-)

sasquatch 01-03-2006 06:04 AM

I second the opinion that your garage is never big enough. Was happy with a nice 2 car about 6 years ago, then moved into a 3+ car, grew out of that and now am building this:

It is a little farther along now, but you can get the point.

http://sasquatch.smugmug.com/photos/45816724-M.jpg
http://sasquatch.smugmug.com/photos/45816728-M.jpg
http://sasquatch.smugmug.com/photos/45816733-M.jpg

My suggestion to you CF is good lighting first and formost. If you get flourescent, get the higher $$ units that use the cold start bulbs (T8, I think). Little more $$ initally, but they operate much better when it is cold out.

Rmills944 01-03-2006 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Verruckt
The only thing worse then having no garage is... having a 2.5 car garage and then moving to the East coast and renting a home with .85 garage. My garage is so damn small I can't even get my wife's minivan in the garage and open the doors! Five sets of wheels, wood working tools, and many many boxes of Porsche parts makes for a very tight fit when working on the P car. Not to sure where I am going to put all these boxes of xmas "stuff".
Why is it that no houses on the East coast have garages? I'm looking into moving to NH, and can't find a decently cheap house with a good garage (or preferrably a barn)

CJFusco 01-03-2006 09:40 AM

I've pretty much narrowed down what I want for my garage to what I would theoretically need in order to have an up-and-running garage by late spring:

1- drywall
2- paint
3- workbench
4- lighting
5- heat
6- tool storage
7- tools
8 - creepers, bench stools, etc.
9 - flooring
10 - entertainment

1 - I will probably go to Home Depot to get drywall within the next couple weeks. 8'X11' panels should be big enough; the garage is small enough where $80-90 worth of drywall should just about do it, plus another $10 or so for tape and other supplies.

2 - White paint. No brainer.

3 - I could probably buy a cheap workbench from just about anywhere, a good custom job from Griots for not-so-cheap, or I could just build one to my specifications. The garage might not be wide, but it is very long; I am thinking a perfect place for a workbench would be under the window (I have already installed blinds to keep snoops from looking in), perhaps with enough room underneath for my air compressor.

4 - As stated, I have those big flourescent flood lamps; one of two is not currently working - I bought a replacement bulb for it, but the problem might be electrical (haven't tried the new bulb yet). If the problem isn't the bulb, several distributors sell the removable lamps separately...

Overhead lighting will probably be a must. Home Depot carries overhead flourescent fixtures for about $80. I will see if I can find cheaper... any recommendations would be welcome.

5 - I have a small electric heater, but this would probably not be enough for a garage. I am looking into other options.

6 - Man, tool cabinets/chests are EXPEN$IVE. For the time being, I have an extra wooden dresser that I will put out there for larger tools and misc. storage. Maybe I will paint it to match the garage and slap a big ol Porsche sticker on the side or something. Down the road I will put tool chests on my Xmas/birthday lists...

Corkboard/tool panels will be installed, natch, as well as shelving. This can all be done for cheap if I use a little ingenuity.

7 - I have a standard mechanic's tool set with a couple different ratchet-socket sets, as well as random other tools (obvious stuff like hammers, tape measures, crowbars, adjustable wrenches, drills and bits, allen keys, etc). I have a good 3-ton hydralic floor jack, as well as a couple sets of jack stands... not to mention the hand jack and Porsche tool set that came with the 944!

I just received a very large air compressor for Christmas. I am looking into air tools now - air sockets, impact wrenches, etc - and will probably invest in some within the next week or so. Any recommendations are welcome.

I suppose tools are the kind of thing you accumulate as you need them.

8 - I love Griots' selection of creepers and stools, especially the ones that have built-in mini tool cabinets... but Griots is expensive. I will probably get a creeper from Sears hardware for now, and maybe just look around for adequate seating.

9 - This is probably the least-necessary option, but something I will keep in mind. Eventually something will be done. I am open to suggestions.

10 - I think a radio is all I need for my garage, but a little mini-fridge for beer might be an option for the future. As an adjunct to this option, I have some cool Porsche posters and such from my college dorm days that would be suitable for a garage... my Porsche flag will probably stay in my bedroom, but I also have a "Porsche Parking only" street sign, a "Le Mans" movie poster, Porsche and Corvette sales and service gas station signs, and a couple 911 posters. Decorating is my lowest priority, but I will probably make the garage into somewhat of a Porsche shrine.

Actually, I will probably keep my collection of EXCELLENCE mags (I have every issue dating back to May 1996) and "Up-Fixin Der Porsche", as well as Haynes manuals for my 944 and Cutlass on shelving in the garage.

Baza 01-03-2006 07:18 PM

I agree with Sasquatch. I started with a single and ended up with a7.2 metre (23.6feet) x 15 meter (49.2feet) and the only things in it was 1x 944, 1x Ford Falcon, 1 x ski boat 17foot, tools and a few 944 bits and it still not big enough.
Now that I have recently moved to a new house I was force to down size to a standard double with 14 x 14 foot shed for my tools my spares live at Mothers, brothers, freinds. I think I'll have to get a storage shed or maybe a new wife. I think the shed will be cheaper.

gtroth 01-03-2006 07:19 PM

That'll do!

With insulation, a small electric heater might surprise you. What's overhead? Can you insulate that?

Also, how's the wiring? Enough amperage? Maybe check that out before the drywall goes up, heh?

I bought a set of DAPC (Devilbiss) air tools (#ATK100) on ebay for $65. That set's a little hard to find on ebay these days, it's been replaced by their #ETK20 which has some differences. I wouldn't say it's anything special - just everything I needed and I figured I'd replace any thing that broke with something better. But it all works just fine so far.

mike944 01-04-2006 06:17 AM

great to hear from you again CJ. Where did you move to? Same general area?

Asphalt floor? That's strange. Somebody must have just enclosed a section of the driveway with a garage. I looked into those snap-together floor tiles. Nice, but pretty expensive. You could look into some of those high-solids epoxy paints. That's what i used in my new place. I don't know how well it would stick to asphalt though. I used sherwin-wiliams Armorseal 1000. It definitely wasn't the cheapest coating (about $110 for 2 gal, enough for a 1 car garage), but it's a true 2-part epoxy, much more durable than the 1-part paints sold at HD and Lowes. It's been excellent so far. I haven't been able to chip it at all, and i've dropped some heavy things onto it.

I'll second the motion about checking the electrical system first. Definitely make sure you have plenty of outlets where you need them, they're REALLY hard to add once the drywall is up. (BTW: GFCI's are required by code in garages)

As far as heat, a small heater might be ok, if the place is well insulated and sealed. Make sure to check the garage door seals. 60-80% of the heat loss in a building is due to cold air leakage, not lack of insulation.

You don't have to go crazy with the $80 flourescent fixtures, but don't get the $9 ones either. The really cheap ones don't start in cold weather. Ones that do start in cold weather will say so on the package. If the new bulb doesn't fix your existing light, a replacement ballast will. I would only do this if the light is a good-quailty light though, a replacement ballast will probably cost the same as a complete moderate-price fixture.

hpaulb 01-04-2006 09:56 AM

Could never understand why the need for drywall. Looks clean and all but I love the acessability of a wood frame. I have brick up so no real need to insulate except the ceiling. I,d say just insulate, vapour barier and strap. Or use plywood/particle bourd.
Electric is the best heating meathod. Safer and cheaper to hang one out of the way in a corner than gas or oil. No smell and don't have to worry about burning all the ozygen in the room.

pm9146 01-04-2006 11:17 AM

When I insulated my garage, instead of drywall I paneled it with peg board fastened to the studs with wood screws so it can be easily removed for any potential electrical or other work.
great additional storage especially in a small space.
Pat