Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

rear suspension removal

Do the trailing arms need to be removed to drop the rear suspension, or can they be left in place? It looks to me like they can be left in place, but I don't want to start this and find out they need to come off and have a mess on my hands because I tried to cut a corner.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
Old 01-02-2006, 02:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

They do not need to be removed to drop the entire rear suspension. Don't forget to disconect the brake lines and parking brake lines before you drop!

1991 944S2 Rally #951 Rally-America.com
Old 01-02-2006, 04:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

First thanks for the very prompt response.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the brake lines don't seem to be connected to the rear suspension. Attached to the body underside, and pass through the trailing arms, but not hooked to the suspension. Like I said please correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 01-02-2006, 05:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to FSAEracer03
Well they are in the way of removing the entire suspension, not to mention they are connected to the caliper and parking brake assembly that I'm guessing will be dropped with the suspension.

1987 Guards Red 951 (Lorelei-- the 18psi temptress)
247whp/299wtq @16psi ...312wtq at 18psi, mmmm, torque!
Old 01-02-2006, 10:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I was planning on leaving the brakes on the trailing arms (which I'm planning on leaving in-place). If they need to come off, fine, but if they can be left in place, that's just less reassembly. The parking brake cables mount to the rear suspension, but I can't see where the brake lines are attached. If they're in the way and must come off, I might just pull the trailing arms too.

Old 01-03-2006, 03:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I'm a little confused... the trailing arms are a part of the rear suspension. What are you removing, exactly?

Old 01-03-2006, 08:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I do this all the time... leave the trailing arms on, disconnect and plug the brake hoses. The brake hoses are supposed to thread through two brackets; one on the body, one on the trailing arm. Yours may not be correctly routed. You'll still need to disconnect the hoses. I also recommend removing the calipers from the trailing arms at that point, since it's only two bolts per and takes a lot of weight off the suspension, makes it a lot easier to move around.
Old 01-03-2006, 01:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

See this is where the confusion is. The lines go through brackets on the body and trailing arms, both of which will be left in place, why remove them? The reason I posted this was to get a response from someone with some experience dropping the suspension and leaving the trailing arms in place. You've got it and you say disconnect the brake lines, so that's what I'll plan on doing. Thanks for the responses and input. Since I'll be disconnecting the brake lines, I appreciate the tip on pulling the calipers. I never would have thought how removing their weight would make positioning the trailing arms easier.

Old 01-03-2006, 08:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
This might help.

support with bricks and lower slowly with jack removing bricks one at a time

Unhook flex brake line to keep it from getting stretched.
Unhook brake pad and ABS sensor wire if you have them.

2018 Suburban Z71
Old 01-04-2006, 03:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I gotta ask the stupid question... why would you be removing the rear suspension, but leaving the trailing arms? One more bolt on each side to disco the shocks, then you're free... I'd rather do that than F up my alignment...
Old 01-04-2006, 06:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by 924RACR
I gotta ask the stupid question... why would you be removing the rear suspension, but leaving the trailing arms? One more bolt on each side to disco the shocks, then you're free... I'd rather do that than F up my alignment...
Case and point.

Old 01-10-2006, 02:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I have a vibration that comes from the rear. Also, I cannot get my height even left to right in the rear, even with the adjusting bolt. I'm planning on swapping in the suspension from my 924s parts car and seeing how this works toward solving my problems.

Old 01-11-2006, 03:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: