Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Cars & Coffee Killer

My Best Christmas Gift

So, I just did Christmas with the in-laws this last weekend. (Went to Nashville to see my dad on Christmas Day.) Well, apparently my father-in-law took it upon himself to find me a Christmas gift (first time in 10 years or so he has done any Christmas shopping from what I hear). Well, here it is:

Of course, I have to put it together. It's a very detailed model. The only mistake I've noticed so far is that the decals for the gauge cluster don't include a boost gauge. I've also noticed that it is a euro spec version of a 951. I'm really psyched about putting this together.

From the back of the box:

Quote:
In 1985 the 944 Turbo was presented at the Geneva Motor Show where it was taken up with enthusiasm by the press. The rear-wheel drive 944 Turbo has a very racy body with retracted headlamps and integral front bumper, which clearly reduced the drag and gave it remarkable aerodynamics. However, the Porsche also offered a great deal of comfort, such as electronically adjustable leather seats, a sliding roof and air conditioning. Its 2479 cc water-cooled four-cylinder engine delivered all of 220 bhp. With a top speed of about 260 km/h and acceleration from 0 to 100 km\h in just 6 seconds, the 944 Turbo was already matching the performance of larger Porsche models. It therefore offered remarkable characteristics and a performance that ranked it among the most outstanding of the Porche models.

"There is freedom in risk, just as there is oppression in security."
Old 01-02-2006, 03:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
meister member

Garage
Are you going to paint it up to look like yours?

Going to see on the parts BBS.. WTB 16" fuches from your model 911 to fit on my model 951. Will consider trade for my phonies.

Speedy
Favorite Road = www.tailofthedragon.com 318 turns in 11 miles (11 min 20 sec best run)
Old 01-02-2006, 03:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Cars & Coffee Killer

ROFL!

Yes, I plan to paint it to look like mine. I wonder if a bottle for Guards Red from the dealership will work on models?

If I can get a hold of some Fuchs that are to-scale, I certainly will use them.

---

How's work going on my poor 'S'? I've been checking in on the website in your sig. Have you taken a break for the winter? (Although it was almost 60º down here today!) I take it you got the whole key issue straightened out. I'd love to see it when it's done! I think we're going up to the UP for a week this summer, maybe we can stop by on the way up or the way back and see your handy-work. As always, give me a call if there's anything I can help you out with.

Old 01-02-2006, 04:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Wow. I want one for my desk at work. The guy with the yellow celica has one. Its only right.

'94 Oldsmobile 88 Royale (winter beater)

Its not what you drive, its what drives you.
Old 01-02-2006, 04:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

item 6009765721
only $9 and comes with fuchs... 1:24 scale.

2008 Mini Cooper // '83 Porsche 944 // '01 Mazda Protege [sold] //
"Never break more than you fix!" - SoCal Driver
Old 01-02-2006, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
meister member

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by legion
ROFL!

Yes, I plan to paint it to look like mine. I wonder if a bottle for Guards Red from the dealership will work on models?

If I can get a hold of some Fuchs that are to-scale, I certainly will use them.

---

How's work going on my poor 'S'? I've been checking in on the website in your sig. Have you taken a break for the winter? (Although it was almost 60º down here today!) I take it you got the whole key issue straightened out. I'd love to see it when it's done! I think we're going up to the UP for a week this summer, maybe we can stop by on the way up or the way back and see your handy-work. As always, give me a call if there's anything I can help you out with.
I was actually out in the garage today working on the S. I am still sanding the engine bay and dismanteling all the tiny items in there so I can paint it. I have the brake booster off (pain in the butt) and almost eveything else. I am purchasing the motor for it next Sunday. It is a zero mile crate engine Corvette LT-1. 300 hp @ 5,000 RPM and 330 ft/lbs of torque. I will need to located additional parts like the computer, wiring harness and engine accesories. Pictures of the motor are on the 560sec board. After I get all the needed parts I will install the motor and "break" it in, work all the bugs out. I will next pull it back out and paint the engine bay and then reinstall the engine. I still have alot of work ahead of me in the form of straightening out all the burnt wiring for the fans, lights ect.

Where are you going in the UP? I use to go there on vacation as a kid. You are always welcomed to stop on by either on your way up or down or whenever. Heck... when I am done with it you should take it for a drive and let me know what you think. Is she how you remembered her? BTW I may take you up on your offer for help. I am sure there will be a time when I need a helping hand. Food and lodging provided.

How do you like your 951?

Later,
Speedy
Favorite Road = www.tailofthedragon.com 318 turns in 11 miles (11 min 20 sec best run)
Old 01-02-2006, 06:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
There have been posts of people searching for 944's and 951' models and not a lot that looked promising. I have tried over here and no luck. Do you know if that model can be obtained on mail order?It is just what I want.
Old 01-03-2006, 12:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Deplorable Member

Garage
That is frikkin' awesome!

The only models for the 944/951 I've seen were through a place over in England; nothing in the U.S. from what I've been able to find.

Black Cars Matter
Old 01-03-2006, 03:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Cars & Coffee Killer

We'll be going up to Houghton, as my wife's aunt and uncle own some cabins on the lake up there. We're in the process of figuring out exactly when right now.

My father-in-law said the model is made by Revell of Germany, and not the U.S. wing of the company. I'm sure it can be ordered direct from Revell, if not from some hobby/craft store.

The 951 is great. I'm storing it for the winter right now, and I have a few maintenance items to work on when it gets warmer. Overall, I'm very happy with the car.

Old 01-03-2006, 04:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

You can get them on ebay. just find someone who's willing to ship to the US.

You can also paint it with a proper porsche colour. clean, lighly sand, and primer the body. clean and lightly sand again, and paint! you can even get the zymol out if you want!

Mine's very close to being finished. I must admit I got a bit sad though, and purchased a 911 kit to bet some turbo twists to put on, and even made my own number plates! the shame.....
Old 01-03-2006, 06:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Cars & Coffee Killer

I'm pulling this old post out again because I am finally going to start on this model this weekend. I had intended on starting on it February of last year, but with my father passing away I suddenly didn't have any time.

Any tips on painting? I'm going to a hobby store this weekend to try to find some paint that matches Guards Red. (I've been told that I shouldn't attempt to use touch-up paint, which was my original idea.)

I have a small air brush and a 15 gallon air compressor.

Old 01-10-2007, 10:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

maybe not touch up paint.. but if you went to an automotive paint vendor, and got them to mix you up some.. it may work...

2008 Mini Cooper // '83 Porsche 944 // '01 Mazda Protege [sold] //
"Never break more than you fix!" - SoCal Driver
Old 01-10-2007, 11:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Non Compos Mentis

I saw one of these exact kits in a store a couple weeks ago, but decided I don't want to put it together. I like the 1/43 scale 944s I have on my desk. Big enough for good detail, small enough that they don't take up too much real estate on the cluttered desk.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Custom User Title

I had a small can of paint mixed for my previous car based on the cars color code. It cost about $9 at an auto paint place. I cant see why you couldnt use an airbrush but ask the paint place if you would need to thin it.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally posted by legion
We'll be going up to Houghton, as my wife's aunt and uncle own some cabins on the lake up there. We're in the process of figuring out exactly when right now.

My father-in-law said the model is made by Revell of Germany, and not the U.S. wing of the company. I'm sure it can be ordered direct from Revell, if not from some hobby/craft store.

The 951 is great. I'm storing it for the winter right now, and I have a few maintenance items to work on when it gets warmer. Overall, I'm very happy with the car.
It sounds like the previous owner did a lot of maintenance.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Cars & Coffee Killer

Yes, yes you did. I've looked over the receipts.

Last year I:

-Replaced the main ground
-Pulled the AC and put in an AC delete bracket
-Had the alternator rebuilt
-Replaced a leaking power steering line
-Had the leaky crossover pipe welded
-Put in a RennBay headlight wiring harness
-Replaced the O2 sensor

This year I plan to have the valve seals done as it smokes a little on startup and I think the O2 sensor is fouled again. (Thankfully I have another spare.) I was also going to see about getting those scratches repainted as I've finally found a body shop that I trust.

Old 01-11-2007, 12:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Those scratches made me mad as hell. God, they made me mad.

I think that crossover pipe has been welded before too. Did the new wiring harness for the headlights made them brighter?

Also, do the instruments still light up nicely? I did the clarks garage fix, wondering how it held up.

So no more A/C huh? It stopped working about a month after I bought it. The PO said it had a slow leak, I think it was a bit faster. Pretty soon it should be smog exempt so you can gut the cat, right? I bet it would sound a lot angrier that way.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Cars & Coffee Killer

The crossover pipe still had the heat sheilds in place at the "Y", so I don't think it was welded.

Instruments are still nice.

Headlights...wow. Night and day. I think I can see all the way to China.

There was a marble-sized hole in the AC condensor. As an added benefit, it runs MUCH cooler without the condensor blocking air flow to the radiator, and now the alternator is far away from the turbo.

I live 150 miles from the nearest metropolitan area. There is no emissions testing here, ever. People can take the cats off of brand new cars with no worries. That being said, I think the crack in the crossover pipe developed when I took a sharpened 3' piece of rebar to the inside of the cat (about a month after I got it home). The turbo keeps it pretty quiet, and it spools up much faster (virtually zero lag), but it has a mean idle.

Old 01-11-2007, 12:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Slowly but surely, that car will become a race car. Unfortunately, the interior is too damn nice for gutting.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Cars & Coffee Killer

Quote:
Originally posted by rammstein
Slowly but surely, that car will become a race car. Unfortunately, the interior is too damn nice for gutting.
My sentiments exactly.

Old 01-11-2007, 03:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: