Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

car cover...?

well seeing as how i cant find the leak in my car, and i'm tired of sopping up the water out of the passenger side back seat foot well every other day (or more).... I've decided to put a car cover on for the rainy days.

I'll need a water proof cover. I know these covers can cause mildew on the car underneath, but this is only to be used when it's raining or snowing. I'll take it off otherwise.

I've been looking around and have seen covers upwards of $170 bucks US, and i just cant justify that kind of price for a cover... So does anyone know where i can go to find one a little within my budget? I went to ebay, but all i could find were the "water resistant" covers and i dont think that will help me when there's 6 inches of snow on the car and it starts to melt, or during a rain fall.

am I better off just going to a local store and buying a tarp? Hope there's an alternative - i like the look of a car cover much better...

2008 Mini Cooper // '83 Porsche 944 // '01 Mazda Protege [sold] //
"Never break more than you fix!" - SoCal Driver
Old 01-02-2006, 09:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I have one that is custom fit for 944s, I can take a picture of it on the car once I get it back from the shop (later today) if you'd like.

I won't be using it anymore.

Last edited by Kerry944; 01-03-2006 at 10:28 AM..
Old 01-03-2006, 10:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Cars & Coffee Killer

Kerry, what's the word on your car?

"There is freedom in risk, just as there is oppression in security."
Old 01-03-2006, 11:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

i'd appreciate that, kerry... thanks.

Old 01-03-2006, 11:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to bryanthompson Send a message via AIM to bryanthompson Send a message via Yahoo to bryanthompson
I have an OEM Porsche cover on my car right now... I'll try to find my digital camera and take a pic for you. Fits like a glove, and I think pelican sells them. It has a locking cable also.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

the thing is, when i see covers on ebay for ~25 bucks, i cant really justify the $90+ cost of a waterproof cover... but the ones on ebay are all "water resistant"... I'm not saying $25 is the highest I'd go, but as always the cheaper the better...

again, must be waterproof.

Old 01-03-2006, 11:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Cars & Coffee Killer

My car cover is basically a glorified bed sheet. It was originally "water-resistant", which means it was sprayed with some kind of water proofing. That has long worn off. Since I store my car in the garage for the winter, I don't need waterproof or water resistant, I just need something to keep the dust off and protect from incidental scratches. It also breathes, so the car doesn't collect moisture on the underside.

Still, it's not at all what you need.

"There is freedom in risk, just as there is oppression in security."
Old 01-03-2006, 11:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by legion
Kerry, what's the word on your car?
Letting it go to salvage, 90% sure. $600.

If anyone in GA wants it, let me know soon.

Taking pics of the cover now.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I've had it for a while now, probably close to 4 years. Still water proof. Some water (I mean very little) soaks through on the back glass. As far as snow, I don't know. If you want to pay shipping from GA to Canada, it's yours for like $60.

The tear is from when some jackass hit my car while it was parked and drove away, obviously, the cover was on (tear is located by the back right wheel btw, its probably about an inch or so long).
Old 01-03-2006, 12:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

hey kerry, thanks for the offer.
But with funding a stub axle/wheel bearing replacement on the car, and being in between jobs, and just coming out of the holiday season, after paying the 60 bucks, shipping, and conversion rates, the $100 or so total is a little out of my budget.

I'll keep you in mind though if i dont see any other options..

Old 01-03-2006, 01:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Custom User Title

I bought a second cover for my 944 from walmart for about $35, I belive it was weather resistant. Also check canadian tire as I am sure they have some reasonable options. I also have a factory cover which does fit better (goes further down under the door sills) but I wouldnt pay for a factory one.
Old 01-03-2006, 01:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Eldorado
hey kerry, thanks for the offer.
But with funding a stub axle/wheel bearing replacement on the car, and being in between jobs, and just coming out of the holiday season, after paying the 60 bucks, shipping, and conversion rates, the $100 or so total is a little out of my budget.

I'll keep you in mind though if i dont see any other options..
no problem
Old 01-03-2006, 01:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Dave, you mention it's weather resistant... i need water *proof*... did you happen to see any like this there as well?

Old 01-03-2006, 01:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
I purchased the all season cover from Mid America for $89.00. It is listed as weather resistant. I am not impressed with the amount of water that finds its way underneath. I have a feeling I could have found a cover of similiar material but not custom fit at Wal-Mart for half the price.
Old 01-03-2006, 04:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Custom User Title

cant remember, I bought the cover because it was cheap and provided an extra layer of protection while it is stored in a barn. I think "water proof" will be very difficult to find for cheap. If you want cheap you could buy a roll of vapor barrier plastic from home depot and I would guaratee thats its going to be water proof.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

well i'm to the point that i'd use a roll of saran wrap on the thing if it wasn't going to be a beeotch to remove. lol

I think I'm leaning towards a tarp... it'll be cheap... i'll still be open to ideas though....

Old 01-03-2006, 06:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Unfortunately, there may not be a cheap answer for you, depending on your expectations. I did a little research on this a few months ago, with winter approaching and no place to put my MGB project. The "weather resistant" covers you get on E-bay are of almost no use for keeping the rain off/out of your car. They are for keeping the sun off your paint and for fooling buyers who don't read the fine print (just read the feedback on these products). I used a tarp on the "B" last year and it scratched the S...T out of the paint when it got windy (that's the plastic that did that, not the metal grommets). It can probably be buffed out, but the point is that when a car cover manufacturer tells you that they try to make the inside of their covers soft to reduce damage to the paint surface, they say it for a reason. Lastly, while you want to keep rain off the paint, you also want any moisture that gets underneath (condensation, moisture from under the car) to be able to evaporate. That means it has to breathe. And that means $.

In short, if you want a good cover that will keep rain off, hold up for a few years of use, respect your paint, and let moisture evaporate, you're looking at around $150-$200. At least, that's what I concluded. I bought a Covercraft for my 944S, and it's done what they said it would. But then I spent over $200 on it. Now, I just use that one on the B when it's outside and switch it over to the S when the B gets garage time.

Of course, the other alternative is to put a screen tent over the whole thing. Seriously. Why not?
Old 01-04-2006, 05:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Non Compos Mentis

How about a cheap cover for softness, and then a tarp to keep the water out?
Old 01-04-2006, 06:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

This reply is really more about the leak that you can't seem to find, rather than a car cover, but since the leak is what's driving you toward a car cover, i figured i'd throw in my 2 cents.

Have you checked how the sunroof gasket attaches to the sunroof? My 968 had almost the same leak, i checked the drain tubes, replaced both the inner and outer gasket, but it still leaked. I couldn't find the cause, until i realized that the water wasn't leaking at the seal between the 2 gaskets, but leaking between the sunroof, and the gasket that was attached to the sunroof. I ended up fixing the problem by removing the sunroof, removing the gasket from it, and using a small amount of RTV, gluing the gasket (using the RTV) right to the sunroof. Hasn't leaked since.

'92 968
'01 VW Jetta TDi
Old 01-04-2006, 10:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

thanks Mike.. I put a huge garbage bag covering the entire roof (not just the sunroof) over the car and when it rained i had the same result.

my car is parked on a slight incline, nose up. It's mildly damp in the front footwell too... which leads me to one of two scenarios.

1) the rear carpet is so wet that it's soaking up towards the front... I took 3 inches of water out of there a couple days ago..

2) the leak is under the dash on the passenger side... a battery tray inspection revealed very slight rusting but no holes of any kind.

I'd love to find the leak, but will wait until it's warmer to do so. until then i think i'll need a cover, or suffer with the block of ice in my rear passenger footwell.

Old 01-04-2006, 10:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: