Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question Sway bar question

I have been looking around at my '83 944 parts car that I have lying around lately, and I noticed some unusual things about the car. The rear sway bar, which was already out of the car, I noticed had two holes at the end of the bar for adjustment. The only sway bar that I had ever seen before like this was the 968 M030 rear sway bar. The rear bar was about 16 mm, 0.625 in. , in diameter which is large knowing that most of these cars didn't come with rear sway bars at all. Next, after looking at the rear sway bar for a while I looked at the front sway bar to see if it was different or not. Without even measuring the bar, I knew it was bigger than the other bars I had seen on these cars. The front sway bar was about 25.5 mm, 1 in. , in diameter. The front sway bar mounted to the control arm from the top. I don't know if this is only because it was an early car or not, but I know on my '86 951 and my '87 NA the sway bar is mounted from the bottom. Unfortunately the front sway bar was bent in the wreck so it is not usable. I have looked for the option codes on the car, but i cant find them in the rear hatch area.

My question is, are these sway bars part of some sort of sport option for early cars? If not, does anyone know what these bars could have possibly been off of?

Thanks in advance!

"Only the people that push the limits find out how far they can really go."

Last edited by turbopwr@3000; 01-04-2006 at 01:54 PM..
Old 01-03-2006, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
Hmm those are some weird sizes. A 25.5 swaybar came as standard equipment on the 87-88 951 and as the M404 option on the same year 944 and 944S... but I don't think the early cars had it mounted on top.

16mm rear bars were included as an option on many later 944 models, and as standard equipment on later 951s and S2s. The optional bar for the 1983 was 14mm. To my knowledge, the only factory adjustable bar was the M030 19mm... I suppose it could be aftermarket, or custom drilled.
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 01-03-2006, 12:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I think I might take pictures of the bars and post them.

It is possible that the front bar could be after market, but I have never seen one like it. The front bar also mounted to the chasis differently and was much more "beefed up" than the stock mount. The rear sway bar does not look like it is an after market piece.

Thanks.

Old 01-03-2006, 01:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Here are some pictures of the front and rear sway bars respectively.

Here are some close up pictures of the ends of the front and rear sway bars. The front sway bar is shown as it would be mounted to the control arm.

Note: the hole that was being used by the sway bar would cause the bar to have the same length lever arm as a stock 14mm sway bar.

Here is a picture of the "beefed up" front sway bar support still on the car. It is in front of the cross member.

I hope this helps some. Thanks again.

Old 01-04-2006, 01:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Those are aftermarket sway bars.

Stock rear bars are not adjustable, and stock front bars do not have "drop links".

Another clue is the inner bushings. For stock front bars the inner bushings are round and do not have that flat area.

Finally, stock front sway bars are supported by brackets that are bolted to the frame rails, the ends are tapered and fit into a bushing that is mounted to the front control arms.
Old 01-06-2006, 03:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: