Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Virginia Rocks!

Need a little help with a non-starter

Car wounldn't start. Then did. I'd like to know why since I don't want to be away from home when it happens next time.

I cranked it several times and it would crank great (nea battery) but wouldn't actually run. Didn't even stumble as if it was getting any fuel and trying to start. I did this like 6 times. I had my foot on the clutch.

I came in the house and did some research. I read up on the DME and the fuel pump. I went out and turned the key partway to listen for the fuel pump ( I heard nothing) so I cranked it to look for the tach bounce - fired right up. I did not have my foot on the clutch.

I shut her down and tried to start with the clutch depressed. Started again. Shut her down again because I used the allloted time to work on it.

It's about 40 degrees outside. The car is new to me, so we don't have a history together. I have had it about a month, but probably only drove 150 miles. Some questions:

1. Could this be a DME-type problem?
2. Where do I listen for the fuel pump? The back I assume. Does it run when the key is only partway turned? What does it sound like...similar to the 911? Or do I need to jump the connections to hear it run?
3. I guess there is no clutch safety switch in these things, huh?
4. What else might it be?

Many thanks.

Old 01-03-2006, 04:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

only thing i can answer for sure is #4, no there is no clutch safety.

2008 Mini Cooper // '83 Porsche 944 // '01 Mazda Protege [sold] //
"Never break more than you fix!" - SoCal Driver
Old 01-03-2006, 05:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Virginia Rocks!

That was #3, but thanks.
Old 01-03-2006, 05:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
winter-hater club member

i am betting that it was the DME relay.

"COOL PRIUS!" - Nobody Ever
Old 01-03-2006, 05:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

i have a confession...
i cant read or count...

2008 Mini Cooper // '83 Porsche 944 // '01 Mazda Protege [sold] //
"Never break more than you fix!" - SoCal Driver
Old 01-03-2006, 05:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

whatever it was, keep a spare dme relay in the car
and a 12 pack
87 924s....don't let the door hit ya
68 912.......see ya!
Old 01-03-2006, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Fuel pump only runs while cranking and after the engine starts. You can lean out of the car head toward the ground, crank the car a few turns then stop. You should hear the fuel pump (rear of passengers tire) for about a half second after you stop the cranking.

Most non starts turns out to be the DME/fuel pump relay. The ignition switch follows a close second. You can make a bifurcated jumper cable to temporarily replace the relay. See www.clarks-garage.com

More important is the timing and balance shaft belts. If you have no idea when they were last changed you need to do so now. 30,000 miles or three years is about the limit on these belts. Pushing it is just asking for a head full of bent valves.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 01-03-2006, 06:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Go through the no start check list on Clark's garage (www.clarks-garage.com). Make sure you are getting a spark from your ignition coil. Check your reference sensor (there is a procedure on Clark's garage). When mine went out, it gave me trouble starting for a couple days before it totally failed. Checking your fuel pump operation is much easier if you have someone helping you out so you can go behind the right rear tire and listen. Also check the DME and fuel pump relays as others have suggested.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Virginia Rocks!

Quote:
Originally posted by SoCal Driver

More important is the timing and balance shaft belts. If you have no idea when they were last changed you need to do so now. 30,000 miles or three years is about the limit on these belts. Pushing it is just asking for a head full of bent valves.
Timing belt is DUE (30K, 4 yrs)! I plan to do it Saturday. I initially thought it beat me to the punch and snapped a couple of days before I got to it. It did not thank goodness.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I had a similiar problem last month. I tried everything above. A senior member of the forum told me it might be a short in the car's factory security alarm module.....Yaeh, no kidding. He sent me a link on how to jump and bypass the module. i did it and prestooooo, it started up and has continued to start up every time.

late 85 944
95 BMW 325 is
Old 01-04-2006, 11:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: