Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Exclamation Oil Leaks... Anybody knows a fix ?

Hi people ! I'm having a little trouble with my 1987 Porsche 944 NA. I have oil leaks. Looks like the oil comes from oil pressure sensor and from somewhere from the bottom of engine. Does anybody have any experience fixing that or does anybody know of any shop in LA area that could fix that and replace some gaskets and seals under $ 1000 $
Thanks
Old 01-03-2006, 09:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

bottom of engine.. maybe you're oil pan gasket, front engien seals IE: camshaft, crankshaft or balance shaft seals. Rear Seal for crankshaft where the clutch is. Or the o-rings from the oil filler. were i belive mine is currently leeking. I think there is a few guys from the forum at least 2 that live near LA that might recomend a shop. Have you considered doing the job yourself?

BTW im sure there a few places i missed where it may be leaking, some more knowledgeable then myself will post soon im sure
good luck msurguy
85 325e BMW T-boned R.I.P.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I could do the job myself. I've already replaced the camshaft, crankshaft and balance seals. I have one more question: is it necessary to remove the engine from the car in order to replace the rear crankshaft seal ? Also, is it possible to make the oil pan gasket myself (from some sort of silicone) and put it there without removing the engine? Thanks to everyone participating in fixing my car :-) this forum is awesome
Old 01-04-2006, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Burn the fire.

Garage
Rear crankshaft seal is doable with the engine in the car. Best to replace it when you're doing a clutch job as you'll need to take the clutch, pressure plate and flywheel off of the engine.

"Drive it like you stole it."
Old 01-04-2006, 02:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
That Guy

Garage
Like Brando said, doing the rear main seal is basically doing a clutch job. You minus well do it while your changing it.

The front seals should be done when you do your timing belt job.

Are you saying you want to just attempt to seal the leaking section of the oil pan with some silicone or something..? An alternative is to change the type of oil you are using. Switch to regular dino oil (if you are running synthetic) and go with a thicker weight oil.

I am having some issues with oil leaks and burning oil myself in my '87 also. I have a feeling the rear main seal is leaking and the dipstick O-ring which is on the drivers side. I am also probably looking at worn piston rings, worn valve stem seals...etc also as i burn oil at high RPM's (evident from the blueish puff of smoke from my exhaust when i go past 4.5-5k). I switched from 10w-40 to 20w-50 and the leaks have mostly stopped to just a 'wet' area (no more drop accumilation) and a little less oil consumption.
Past worth mentioning - 1987 924S, 1987 944, 1988 944T with 5.7L LS1
Old 01-04-2006, 03:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

You can install a new crush ring on the oil pressure sender. Its almost typical for the sensor to back out a bit or for the original ring/gasket to distort or move around. Torque the sensor in to 25ft lbs.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Redo your oil cooler seals. Reseal the gasket around the cooler with Hylomar. Stopped my oil leak, even with Mobil 1 in it.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

how to

Well, thanks for the reply. Yellowline, please, can you explain in a few words how to reseal the gasket around the cooler. That would be much help. Thanks a lot everyone participating !
Old 01-12-2006, 09:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Search "Oil Cooler" on http://www.clarks-garage.com/
They even got pictures.
1987 924S with 968 Drive front to back, Bilstein Insert on mod/stock Struts, 450# Hypercoils, 28mm Torsion Bars, Weltmeister Adjustable Sway Bars, Lindsey 968 Light flywheel, Spec Stage II Clutch, ToYO RA1's, Auto Power Cage & 6 pt Harness, KLA Strut Brace, Greasy hands, heavy foot, and lots of smiles
Old 01-12-2006, 12:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

FWIW, another couple of places that are famous for leakage are the rear balance shaft O-rings (both upper and lower shafts), the O-rings on the oil filler tube, though those places are much further aft of where your describing leakage problems. And of course, the power steering hoses and fittings.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Thanks !

Can someone give me an idea of how to change the rear balance shaft O-rings ? Thanks to everyone :-)
Old 01-13-2006, 10:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Also, if I want to replace the oil cooler seals , how do I test the oil cooler pressure after that? Has anyone done that procedure ? Maybe in some different way ? Thanks
Old 01-13-2006, 10:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I am in the process of replacing my rear balance shaft o rings. The upper o ring was leaking badly. You will have to remove the balance shaft housing to replace the ring. Use the special Locktite anerobic sealer when replacing the housing. There is no gasket betweem the housing and block. I remove both my manifold and oil cooler to get eazy access to the housings.
1975 Benz Sold
1976 Benz Sold
1977 Benz Sold
Old 01-13-2006, 11:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: