Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question New owner stuff

Sorry about the noob questions, but I have only driven 2 944's. First one was a short test drive and the second was the one I bought. Seems both had a low RPM rumble, anything less than around 2k to 2.5k rpm just felt like it was lugging. Is this normal?
Also the car stars just fine, but I have to wait a minute after a cold start before I give it some gas or it stutters, It hasn't died but I haven't given it lots of gas when cold, so it's possible. It dosn't feel like it's missing, just cold and would die with too much throttle. I'm not use to this on a fuel injected engine. Also I think the CAT is OEM at 148,000 miles, time to clean it?

Thanks,

Steve
2014 Corvette stingray
7/31/18 single after 27yrs.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Cars & Coffee Killer

Other than the S2 and 968, all of Porsche's water-cooled 4 cylinders made their power relatively high in the RPM band. The "dragging" you experience is probably normal.

Do a search here on "cold start". You will find a wealth of information.

As for the cat, how strict are you vehicle laws? I gutted mine...haven't looked back. If you remove your exhaust pipe, you can shine a flashlight into the back of the cat and check it out. If it is white, all is normal. If it is black, it is probably clogged. The cats on these cars can last a long time...

"There is freedom in risk, just as there is oppression in security."
Old 01-05-2006, 04:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Virginia Rocks!

My car has 172K on I think the original cat. I just passed my first emissions inspection. Mine "drags" too at slow engine speeds. I haven't really hammered on it, as I am waiting for a belt change this weekend. The last time I drove it hard was the test drive, when it wasn't mine, LOL
Old 01-05-2006, 05:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to hpaulb
Very noticable in my automatic. Drags till 3200 rpm then takes off. Put a performance chip in to smooth out and increase power in that range.
03 Altima Tin box
05 Pontiac Sunfire, 64 VW dirt buggy
Old 01-05-2006, 07:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Low rpm rumble can be from worn engine mounts. Especially the passenger side that sees a lot of heat from the exhaust. Check between the oil pan and cross member. You should see at least an inch of clearance. Enough to stick most of your hand between the two.

Another vibration generator is the balance shafts. Could be the balance belt is off a tooth or more or the pulleys were put back on the shafts wrong after the last water pump replacement.

Bad water pumps can add a tremendous amount of noise too. Just replaced one myself. Sounds like the whole bottom end of the engine is about to fall out.

When was the last time the timing and balance belts were changed?
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 01-05-2006, 09:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I'm surprised that we had to wait until the 4th reply, before somebody mentioned timing and balance belts!

If you have no records as to when they were last changed, change them now!!!!

Do a search, you'll find about a bazillion posts about timing belts. To sum them all up: timing belts are a weak point on these cars. They need a lot more attention than any other car. People get very nervous about timing belts, because when they fail, they cause a lot of expensive damage.

'92 968
'01 VW Jetta TDi
Old 01-05-2006, 10:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

White and Nerdy

Garage
Except for mom's S2, all the 944's I've driven are fairly lacluster below 2,200RPM. If you are trying to get work out the engine ,try to stay above 1,900RPM. I run belo on light near zero throttle loads in 4th and 5th, but if a good hill comes up, or I need to move quicker suddenly, best to change gear to higher RPM.

I've never had your trouble of a cold start, but then, I hardly drive above 35 MPH and never ask much of it for the first bit. Soon as its warmed up, I either keep my nice easy pace, or I'm off like a rocket depending on what I feel like.

The 944 is a thoroughly enjoyable car. Engine fluid and belt mainteance is something I would stay on top of for sure.

First car I ever drove was a black '84 in a parking lot at age 14, owner let me drive it arond. I was gently, never pushed it, but enjoyed it immensely. Second encounter was a 968 coupe a little bit before my 17th birthday. I had just enough by then to buy it. I'd been saving ever since the previosuly mentioned 944 drive. I was a bit intimdated by driving such a nice car, and didn't enjoy it as much.

The next car for me to drive was the faimlies Ford 15 passenger van which I leanred to drive on. A few other vehichles for short times in between, such as parking a 1,000lb open cockpit race car. Then the '85 944 I ended up buying, and losing late last year to a Toyota pickup. Total 4 cylender Porsches I've driven is the '84, '95 968, '85 944, '86 944, '86 944, and breifly a '89 S2. Except perhaps for the 968, every moment has been enjoyable. Sometime I'd like to drive a 968 again. I'd also love a day in a turbo charged Porsche, either a 930, 931, or 951.

Both the cars I've owned have been much mor low rev freindly. Surprisingly so. My brother's 86 screams and cries if you ask much out of it below 2K RPM. Where as both my Ex and current could run 35MPH in 5th so long as I didn't encounter a steep incline, then 3rd or 4th wuld be desired.

Take good care of your 944, and it will last. My '85 was totaled with an engine that the only work done had been timing and balancing shafts/belts - and it was at somewhere near 215,000 miles. Front seal had recently started a small leak that was almost noexistant. As had the shift linkage seal in the original gearbox, items I was just about to take care of, very glad the chrash happened first and I hadn't just had those done. Car was pretty much rust free, tad patch under neath the doors, and the exaust wasn't super pretty, car spent several years in serious snow zones, remarkly robust car!

I grew up in the carolina woods, never was in or around a sports car until I was 13 or so, yet I knew i loved raceing. First found out about the 944 in 2000, and only a few months later got to drive one. There was been nothing in my invironment to provoke such a love of sports cars. Its there, and it runs very very deep.

Last edited by Tervuren; 01-05-2006 at 03:12 PM..
Old 01-05-2006, 02:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to toolboy62 Send a message via Yahoo to toolboy62
My car runs for **** below 2000 RPM... the whole car vibrates and rattles, and there's no torque whatsoever. I have had several Porsche mechanics drive it and while they always find something wrong with it they never comment on that - AFAIK it's normal. If you read the recommended shift points in the owner's manual they pretty much tell you to keep it over 2K.

nate
Old 01-05-2006, 02:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
I find just to opposite. I can go to fourth right after first gear and smoothly accelerate. Not very fast as the engine is not on it's torque curve but it does not shake and rattle either.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
I'm with SoCal Driver on this one. I can drive my 86 just fine at low revs. Even to the extremes, such as 5th gear at 800 rpm, and she is still smooth as silk.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

5th gear at 800 rpm?
give your head a shake...

2008 Mini Cooper // '83 Porsche 944 // '01 Mazda Protege [sold] //
"Never break more than you fix!" - SoCal Driver
Old 01-05-2006, 10:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

My 944 was taken care of before I bought it, except for the rear hatch leak. I have all the records back to 1987, even the window sticker. All belts were changed 4k ago, motor mounts were replaced, I have to check to see when, clutch also, bunch of stuff. All done at a Porsche, Audi, BMW Shop.
I guess the start up thing is not really that much of a problem, I started it cold and right away stepped on the gas, she went right up to 4k. Just feels a little rough for 15 to 30 seconds.
The low RPM rubble/ vibration might be just some tune up stuff, it's real smooth past 2500. I have been working alot and it's been raining just about every day since I bought it. I'm just waitting for the chance to get under the hood.

Thanks for the advice
2014 Corvette stingray
Old 01-05-2006, 11:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Burn the fire.

Garage
Mine's a dog under 2500 RPMs as well. a Chip should fix that.

"Drive it like you stole it."
Old 01-06-2006, 12:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Think the balance shaft pulleys and timing need to be checked as the belts were done 4k miles ago. Pulley installation errors.

Also check the items listed before.

It's very important that any extreme engine vibrations be taken care of as this tends to crack the fuel rail and cause engine fires.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
White and Nerdy

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by SoCal Driver
Think the balance shaft pulleys and timing need to be checked as the belts were done 4k miles ago. Pulley installation errors.

Also check the items listed before.

It's very important that any extreme engine vibrations be taken care of as this tends to crack the fuel rail and cause engine fires.
800RPM is below idle in my car, so it doesn't realy like 800RPM in 5th. Mine won't vibrate until close/under idle, but I can hear its not realy happy if I ask a lot at a realy low RPM. I spend most of my time under 2K, but won't push the right foot at lower RPM's.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Steve,

I'm from longview and I have quite a bit of experience with 944's and I could take a look at it for you if you want. Give me a call at (253) 882 4452 if you want.

Russell
Old 01-07-2006, 11:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard

Quote:
Originally posted by SoCal Driver
I find just to opposite. I can go to fourth right after first gear and smoothly accelerate. Not very fast as the engine is not on it's torque curve but it does not shake and rattle either.
My 951 used to be terrible under 2,000 RPM too. Turned out that the O2 sensor was shot and the engine was running lean when off boost. Got that fixed (thanks everyone at Gerber!) among some other ancillary stuff and it's like a whole different car now.

Definitely worth changing the O2 sensor, it may solve that guy's problem.
Guards Red 1986 951 <- Seattle car (Gretchen)
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 01-07-2006, 01:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Thanks for the offer Russell. I'm starting to think that that lower RPM Vibration/ rumble is just normal. It's not really that bad and it does have power on the bottom end. I removed my cat today, Some stuff was rattling around inside, cleaned it out and reinstalled. A few chucks that came out looked melted. I don't think it's in my head, but after a quick test run she seems to have more power. From the drives seat it doesn't sound any different, if anything I think I can hear the engine more. I had to start her up with open headers in the garage, scared my wife.

I have new plugs and wires on the way, ceramic brake pads, and a DME book also coming. I just need some days off.

While I had it up in the air the back brakes seem to be draggin/ not releasing, not too bad but still not like I think they should. Do new pads come with slider replacements? I thought about taking them apart but I will have new pads this week, might as well clean the sliders then or replace them. The back pads look new, nice and thick, might be the cause of the dragging?. The front ones are the ones that need replacing. I got the ceramics so I'm doing them all.

Steve
2014 Corvette stingray
Old 01-08-2006, 11:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

if it runs rough ONLY when the engine is cold, it sounds normal to me. My '84 would run rough, and not want to accellerate too well, until it either warmed up a little bit, or i got the rev's up. after a couple of minutes, it would be running fine.

regardless, the motor mounts, and balance belt alignment are both fairly easy to check. The motor mount can be checked without disassembling anything, and the balance belt alignment can be checked by removing only the timing belt cover.

Actually, if the belts were replaced 4K miles ago, was the 1800 mile retension ever performed? If not, you should have that done. Ask them to check and make sure all the balance belt marks are lined up properly, while they're in there.

'92 968
'01 VW Jetta TDi
Old 01-09-2006, 04:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard

Quote:
Originally posted by mike944
if it runs rough ONLY when the engine is cold, it sounds normal to me. My '84 would run rough, and not want to accellerate too well, until it either warmed up a little bit, or i got the rev's up. after a couple of minutes, it would be running fine.
It shouldn't run rough, even when cold. As I said earlier, for me the O2 sensor fixed my cold-engine stumbling. With the mileage these cars are at, it's not a bad idea to change the O2 sensor as it is probably worn out.
Guards Red 1986 951 <- Seattle car (Gretchen)
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 01-09-2006, 01:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: