Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to bryanthompson Send a message via AIM to bryanthompson Send a message via Yahoo to bryanthompson
How long does it take for gas to go bad?

My '44 has been sitting with a full tank of gas since July... I'm going to put in a new battery and drive this tank out of it in the next few weeks. Im going to check the belts and all of that stuff, but I'm wondering about the gas... I've smelled *really* bad gas, but this gas doesn't smell like that at all. Will gas in the lines go bad before the bunch of it in the tank, and how can I tell before doing any damage.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

did you store it with any addatitives in the gas tank?

2008 Mini Cooper // '83 Porsche 944 // '01 Mazda Protege [sold] //
"Never break more than you fix!" - SoCal Driver
Old 01-05-2006, 09:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Mein Gott!

Garage
Yeah, addititves might have worked if they were put in last July, but it should be just fine as it is. My TR-6 sat for almost a year and it fired right up (with a new battery).
1972 Triumph TR6 - 100% trouble free between breakdowns
2003 BMW 325xi
Old 01-06-2006, 04:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

When my dad died, he had 1000 gallons stored in ground tanks on his property that was "stored for a rainy day." He used the NAPA Store-Mor stuff or whatever it's called. Since I was flying in to settle the estate...and since I didn't want the liability of having these tanks leak, I hired some local guys to pump them dry and pull them out of the ground. They put the gasoline in their cars and used it all with no problem. The gas had been stored for 12 years! I don't recommend it but in Tennessee, much stranger things have happened.

I try to use the Stor-all stuff but sometimes I forget in the lawnmower, boat, etc. and they always work the next year. Again, I don't recommend not using something.

Harvey
'02 Audi TT Turbo, 6 speed (Sold)
Old 01-06-2006, 06:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Same here, had about a 20 liters of fuel in my 951 for about 1.5 years. After draining the tank and putting it in my Renault (which was empty) the car ran perfectly. Of course i made sure to properly drain the old petrol tank as rust and other particles might be on the bottom of the tank. You should really make sure that you have clean petrol, but aside from that i think a couple of years really don't matter.
Old 01-14-2006, 05:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard

As long as the tank was full to prevent condensation, any name-brand gasoline is formulated to last at least 12 months without additives before it begins to degrade.
Guards Red 1986 951 <- Seattle car (Gretchen)
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 01-14-2006, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

correct. you'll be fine, Bryan. now drive your car, you wuss
Old 01-16-2006, 08:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Zero10
As long as it's in a plastic tank (like late 944's and 951's), and isn't exposed to sunlight, it will last a very long time.
In steel tanks, you want to check for rust, as it will quickly clog the fuel filter.

I've used gas that was 5 or 6 years old. No stabilizer, no additives, and it was stored in a jerry can in the garage. Didn't have a problem with it. That was 3 tanks worth too.

Buy my parts!
Old 01-16-2006, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

well i had my porsche sitting for alittle over a year while rebuildind the engine and it started up fine so i guess the gas was still good.... i think it will last for along time...
Old 01-17-2006, 07:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: