Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Bad day

Yesterday i added antifreeze to my car and i open my hood today to check on a small oil leak and noticed my antifreeze is all gone! I did notice smoke last night but its been cold so i associated it with that. Im gonna try bars leaks later as ive had good luck with that in the past. Now what do i do? If i have to do the hg whats the strongest way to go? o rings? copper? If i have to do it now i want something that will really last
Old 01-07-2006, 11:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard

Do NOT put leak-stop crap in your car! It gums up small passages and parts of pumps. Find the leak and fix it right. Redneck repairs are not for these cars. You'll do more long-term damage with the "Bars Leaks" than you think.
Guards Red 1986 951 <- Seattle car (Gretchen)
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 01-07-2006, 11:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to fast924S
First step would be to find out where the coolant is going. Is it going into the head, is it leaking out of the car? Is it mixing with oil?
Old 01-07-2006, 11:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

The exhaust is very damp, the third cylinder from the fronts plug is unusually clean compared to the rest, and the oil looks good on the dip stick although very dirty for 2k on synthetic, then i took off the filler cap and on the under side of the cap and the inside of the filler tube i found white milky oil lining everything especially heavy on the cap itself. Is that normal or another bad sign?
Old 01-07-2006, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

And theres no leaks whatsoever on the car, i park it in the same place every day and theres not a drop except near the tailpipe while it was running last night
Old 01-07-2006, 12:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
One apex at a time

Garage
pressure/leakdown test with the plugs out to know for sure

General Car Specs & Mods
Project Megasquirt 924s
Old 01-07-2006, 12:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard

Quote:
Originally posted by Cory9584
i took off the filler cap and on the under side of the cap and the inside of the filler tube i found white milky oil lining everything especially heavy on the cap itself. Is that normal or another bad sign?
Coolant from piston blow-by. Head gasket. Possibly rings too depending on the amount of blow-by. Check compression as well.

N/A cars have an oil/coolant heat exchanger where the seals can fail and mix oil with coolant, that's what fast924S was talking about I think. 951's do not have that, they have an air/oil cooler mounted up front in the bumper.

Regardless, you're definitely getting coolant into the oil. Change the oil ASAP and get that head gasket fixed. If you're going above and beyond stock, or just want extra protection, Lindsey Racing sells a Widefire gasket kit (head gasket and many other incidental gaskets) for about $150 that will give you a larger safety margin.

http://www.lindseyracing.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LR&Product_Code=LR-951-WFGS&Category_Code=944GASKETS944T

Pelican has just the head gasket for $76.50. Only decision is whether you want to do all the other little incidental gaskets too while you're in there. I think that the LR kit would give a little more piece of mind given that the car is 20 years old and probably wouldn't mind having the other little gaskets replaced too.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopcart/944M/POR_944M_ENGpis_pg2.htm#item5
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 01-07-2006, 01:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

is it worth getting the head o ringed while its out? I heard thats the ultimate in reliability at any pressure
Old 01-07-2006, 01:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard

Quote:
Originally posted by Cory9584
is it worth getting the head o ringed while its out? I heard thats the ultimate in reliability at any pressure
I don't know enough to answer that, but I'll suggest calling Lindsey Racing and seeing what they recommend. They definitely have the experience with high-boost 951 engines. They'll be able to tell you if O-ringing is overkill.

I run 15PSI in my 951 with a wide-fire HG and haven't had any issues. Er, well, not any issues with the HG. I'm chasing a detonation issue under load at full boost right now though. I really should have listened to the people who warned me about how addicting these cars would be.

Last edited by AaronM; 01-07-2006 at 01:38 PM..
Old 01-07-2006, 01:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: