Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Early 944 Horn Broken

Well it is about time that I got my MN drivers license and registered my car up here, but before I do this I really should fix my horn in case they want to see that it actually works. It stopped working a little while ago. Before it stopped working, it went off for about 10 seconds without me pushing the button, and then it stopped working. I have the early 4 spoke wheel. Could this be a grounding issue? How is the circuit closed when the horn is pushed? I know there is an electrical lead to the center of the button, metal contact points on the wheel and button kept separated by springs. Are there wires connecting the input to the contact points inside the button?

Thanks in advance,
Nate
Old 01-07-2006, 11:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Well I checked the ground by the cross-member under the car, and it is fine. Is there a way to check voltages or continuity to make sure the wiring is fine?
Old 01-07-2006, 04:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

take the horn button off, the wire underneath if grounded to metal will set the horn to go off... maybe it simply came detatched from the electrode on the horn pad.

2008 Mini Cooper // '83 Porsche 944 // '01 Mazda Protege [sold] //
"Never break more than you fix!" - SoCal Driver
Old 01-07-2006, 06:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Mein Gott!

Garage
Had a similar issue with my first 944. Yep - as stated above, it was the small wire underneath the horn button on the steering wheel itself. The small bolt got loose over time and wasn't properly grounded. It was a three minute fix.
1972 Triumph TR6 - 100% trouble free between breakdowns
2003 BMW 325xi
Old 01-07-2006, 07:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to 85944na Send a message via AIM to 85944na
welcome to MN! My horn doesn't work either, it just makes a weak little squeeking noise, I'm not tackling it until spring. Goodluck!

Early 85 G-red 944na, S2 transmission, Ice Shark grounds, Cibie E-Code lights, turbo rear valance, 924S gauges, Turbo S full power seats, "Porsche" door handles, Enkei Wheels.
95 Infiniti G20 dark red metallic-for sale soon
87 BMW 325ic Bronzit, stock(for now)
Old 01-08-2006, 07:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Alright guys, I have finished diagnosing the horn finally. I have 24.5V between the ground and contacts at the horn button. I can actually hear my relay clicking when it is depressed. I have 25.6V at the horn.

1) Is the voltage supposed to be this high?

I would have thought it would be 12V, but maybe the horn requires a higher voltage than that. Regardless, it seems that my actual horns are shot. I now realize that there are two separate horns, one low pitch and one high pitch. Mine has always sounded really high pitched, and I am guessing that my low pitch horn has always been blown.

While I was doing this trouble shooting I decided to try to figure out why my windshield washer fluid pump wasn't working. There is no voltage going to the pump. I tried looking through the shop manual etc but could not find any mention of a fuse or relay for this pump. Relay 10 is for "intermittent action", and in the diagram there is the interval wiping relay.

2)Does part of this relay control the washer pump?

Attached is what the wiring diagram looks like for the pump, note the circled number 5 at the bottom.

3)What is this in reference to?

Thanks in advance,
Nate

Old 02-05-2006, 01:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

While we're on horns.

I like the horn sound on my 88 944. Think I could buy one (dealer part) and put it on my 2002 Pathfinder which has a horn with a "little kids toy" sound to it? Embarassed to use it.
Old 02-05-2006, 03:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

i dont see why you couldn't. they're just horns.
just make sure the voltage/current is the same...

2008 Mini Cooper // '83 Porsche 944 // '01 Mazda Protege [sold] //
"Never break more than you fix!" - SoCal Driver
Old 02-05-2006, 05:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Your wiper switch arm controls the pump. The two contacts shown on the right side of the switch diagram are when you pull the arm back toward you. One runs the pump the other triggers a timer in the windshield wiper relay. Note that besides wiper arm parking there are only two functions for the relay; time delay and the time out for the windshield washers.

I personally do not like having the wipers on a timer for washing. Nor do I like the single speed delay. I have removed the S1 pin from the plug block. One of these says I will do something about the time delay.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 02-05-2006, 06:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: