Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
patrat

triva question for the 944 gurus

So, I have been puttsing around in my parts car; seeing how the car is put together. I found some bolts that dont seem to serve any purpose at all, that are definetly factory original equipment. I have searched the archives and dont see them in other 944 cars pictures either. Since I dont have my camera with me I pulled a picture from one of the posts I found and drew in the bolts I am talking about.

From the underside of the car I see something resembling a cable clamp with the bolts holding it in, all buried underneath the undercoating. The threads of these bolts stick out about an inch into the car interior; and were underneath the rear seat armrest and covered with rubber caps. I really cant figure out why they are there at all... and that bugs me.

Old 01-07-2006, 08:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

What year is your car?

Did you have a split rear seat-back on this car?

AFJ

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 01-07-2006, 09:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
patrat

the car is a 1987 944S that I found these on, but no it did not have the split seat. That does sound plausible though, that being a mounting point for the hinge.
Old 01-07-2006, 09:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

It could be a mount for the split seat. Porsche is notorious for phasing in changes to the body.

Some late 1985 and 86 cars are wired for oil level monitoring, even though they do not have the correct instrument cluster installed.

AFJ

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 01-07-2006, 09:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard

Quote:
Originally posted by AFJuvat
It could be a mount for the split seat. Porsche is notorious for phasing in changes to the body.

Some late 1985 and 86 cars are wired for oil level monitoring, even though they do not have the correct instrument cluster installed.

AFJ
Interesting... So theoretically all one would need to do with those cars is add the proper cluster and the sensor and plug them in? (Assuming that there's a hardpoint in the engine for the sensor mount, of course.)
Guards Red 1986 951 <- Seattle car (Gretchen)
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 01-07-2006, 10:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Mein Gott!

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by patrat
the car is a 1987 944S that I found these on, but no it did not have the split seat. That does sound plausible though, that being a mounting point for the hinge.
Split seats didn't come out for another production year at that point if its an '87. Although it could have happened during the "cut off" period on the production line when 944s were going to split seats only months later. Very interesting.
1972 Triumph TR6 - 100% trouble free between breakdowns
2003 BMW 325xi
Old 01-07-2006, 11:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Let's go shooting.

A mounting point to hold the automatic gearbox shifting cable perhaps?

1991 944 (automatic) 2.7 litre 16 valve na and pas

"I have only five words for you: From my cold, dead hands."
Old 01-08-2006, 03:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Certified Rennwerker

Send a message via MSN to 924Sman
Torque tube hanger bolts perhaps
Old 01-08-2006, 05:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
patrat

thats the thing.... from the underside that bracket is completely useless... completely and 100% buried underneath the undercoating. I have removed the tranny, TT, and suspension and can assure that nothing is or was attached.
Old 01-08-2006, 05:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Bracket for mounting the hinge for the rear seat.
We buy 944s and sell 944 parts (845-379-1944)
We rebuild torque tubes and instrument clusters for 944/968/928
Old 01-08-2006, 06:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: