Pelican Parts Forums

Pelican Parts Forums (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/)
-   Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-924-944-968-technical-forum/)
-   -   Removing pulleys of crankshaft (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-924-944-968-technical-forum/259837-removing-pulleys-crankshaft.html)

arnebret 01-08-2006 08:40 AM

Removing pulleys of crankshaft

I know it's a bit of a strange order of taking my engine apart, but everything went exceptionally well until i noticed i forgot to take off the pulleys on the crankshaft.

The clutch and flywheel are already off, so installing the shaft back in and using the flywheel lock isn't really an option.

What's my best option? At what torque are the pulleys connected to the shaft and is it a regular bolt that unlocks counter-clockwise?

I'm thinking of putting the shaft back in the block and make some sort of lock to stop it from moving, but if it's thightened at for example 500nm or higher it might be a mission impossible.

Techno Duck 01-08-2006 08:44 AM

That bolt is threaded like every other on the car, no special or reverse threaded nonsense. You are correct however that it is torqued very high, it really depends on whether it was ever taken off or not and who retorqued it. Some people have had trouble taking it off with huge extensions over there already huge breaker bar. I was able to get mine off using just a 2 foot breaker bar..and im a pretty slim guy.

Is the engine out of the car? Do you have access to a very good impact wrench? I think that would be one of the only chances of getting that out without a flywheel lock.

For the record, i retorqued mine to 150lbs using my torque wrench, that was the highest setting. I then went back with the breaker bar and turned it a few degrees more by hand.

ae1969 01-08-2006 08:46 AM

I hooked a small chain from a bolt on the crankshaft (the ones that hold the flywheel) and hooked it to the enginestand/bellhousing (whatever is available).... the crank bolt has 150ft/lbs....

arnebret 01-08-2006 09:53 AM

150 pound foot is somewhere in the low 200nm region, should be ok, although it seems it's pretty rusted and might not loosen up easily.

Now, the one where you hook up a chain to the flywheel bolt, can you explain this a bit more. The flywheel is still on and i can pop the shaft back into block and try your option. I just don't see how you can 'hook' something up to the bolt. Do you mean removing one of the bolts and then thighten it again with some chain attached?

arnebret 01-08-2006 02:38 PM

So, the bolt came out pretty easily when i put the shaft back in the block and locked it. Problem solved. All the puleys came of, except one. This is the last one, i think it drive the balance system.

It did slide back and forth a bit, but it just will not come off. It seems it has somehow seized to the crankshaft. Would heating it up free the pulley or are there easier and more common ways to solve this?

Techno Duck 01-08-2006 05:20 PM

Try using a gear puller on it. I had trouble getting the pulley driven by the timing belt off also.

rb101 01-09-2006 01:52 AM

just keep working the gear back and forth, it will eventually slide all the way off

Granite 944 01-09-2006 04:36 PM

Use a gear puller. Heat is not a good thing to use here, due to its close proximity to the front oil pan seal and shouldn't be required anyway, and you could be damaging the rear belt cover. Oh yeah, that year, the bottom part of cover removes seperatly anyway, don't it?

"This is the last one, i think it drive the balance system"..........

Gear, or "pulley"?.........big difference. Look in PET, FSM, Haynes.

Ahem!.........you'd better find out! Its not what ya think! Its the cambelt drive. HOPEFULLY, its gonna NEED to be removed using a gear puller (it should be a snug/tight fit). Check out the crankshaft key and keyways in all the gears also, they should be pretty straight/square and not beatup. You don't really want to "see" this gear rocking on the shaft at all.

Maybe a little more research is required? Clark's garage.com. Check it out, thouroughly. I don't think the "88 turbo is gonna have the balance belt drive in behind the cambelt drive............crank sprocket/gear.

I don't know, maybe "I" don't understand. Pics work great, if ya can do it in your descriptions. :)

Good luck! :) :)

hpaulb 01-12-2006 09:32 AM

Here is a trick I did use on my Porsche and another as well and different cars I've owned over the last 20 years. Don't want to get flamed here for such an odd idea but. Take out the #1 spark plug, turn your piston to the bottom and feed a nylon rope into the sleeve till you can't get any more. Turn piston up CCW till it stops then remove bolt. Never had any damage and nylon comes out with no damage or marks.

arnebret 01-14-2006 05:53 AM

Maybe i didn't make it clear enough. There is NOTHING left on the block. It's just a block with a crankshaft, everything else is off. I more or less 'forgot' to take the pulleys and gears off.

Of course i have checked my PET, Clarks and the workshop manual. I was looking for some practical tips. And besides that English isn't my first language, so some techinical terms might be used inproperly. It is indeed a gear driving the cams. A gear, which i removed now with a puller as it was indeed a thight fit.

I also noticed in the PET system that the spline on the front end of the crank should be removed to be able to take off the rest. In the PET this is reffered to as a 'key'. part 900 117 036 00. I have tried pulling this spline out, but it seems as if it's almost one with the shaft. Any ideas on how to get it out without damaging the shaft too much (or rather not at all).

arnebret 01-14-2006 06:34 AM

Ok, this is starting to get scary. Everytime i come here with a certain problem, i post the problem and then most of the time just go back and re-evaluate and try again. So, this time again, the spline came out within a minute or so. Maybe i just need to think things over a bit more before running to the forum ;)

Granite 944 01-14-2006 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by arnebret
Ok, this is starting to get scary. Everytime i come here with a certain problem, i post the problem and then most of the time just go back and re-evaluate and try again. So, this time again, the spline came out within a minute or so. Maybe i just need to think things over a bit more before running to the forum ;)
Same thing happens to me a lot. If I walk away for a bit, come back, re-evaluate, then most the time I'll come up with good solution. And........sometimes not.

I really didn't mean to sound nasty or anything in my previous comments. I get the wording and part names messed up at times myself, and english IS my first (only) language. No offense intended.

Glad to hear your getting everything apart alright! :)