Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
meister member

Garage
got our new motor for the 'S' today :)

I took the truck and picked up our new motor for the 'S'. When put side by side with the stock motor I was amazed at how compact the LT-1 is. The v-8 is a 1993 Corvette LT-1 with 4 bolt mains, 300hp, 330 ft/lbs of torque.

Here is where I am at with sanding the engine bay. Things are starting to get uncrispified.

Speedy
Favorite Road = www.tailofthedragon.com 318 turns in 11 miles (11 min 20 sec best run)
Old 01-08-2006, 04:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
winter-hater club member

very nice, keep us posted.

"COOL PRIUS!" - Nobody Ever
Old 01-08-2006, 05:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Zero10
Any plans to do mods to the LT1 motor?
With your conversion, do you have to delete the brake booster?
I'd be really interested in swapping a LT1 into a 944 if you could keep the brake booster. Post-install pics are good too.

Buy my parts!
Old 01-08-2006, 05:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Burn the fire.

Garage
Transmission go boom?

"Drive it like you stole it."
Old 01-08-2006, 08:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
meister member

Garage
I am not going to do any mods to the motor yet. I want to break it in and work out all the bugs.

There are a couple of different options forthe brakes... There is a hydrobooster on the market which I heard from some guys running it that it is quite good. Some guys are running "big reads" with manual brake set up and they are happy with that as well.

Speedy
Favorite Road = www.tailofthedragon.com 318 turns in 11 miles (11 min 20 sec best run)
Old 01-09-2006, 03:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Damn this thread.... this has got me thinking again....
Used LS-1's and LT-1's are pretty cheap these days. The conversion kit is pretty expensive, but not _THAT_ bad. Rather than spending $10k building a new 951 motor to make a reliable 400HP, why not just bite the bullet, and use a vette motor?... gah.

Did you buy a conversion kit, and if so, do you have pictures of it?

Buy my parts!
Old 01-09-2006, 07:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
meister member

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Brando
Transmission go boom?
The 'S' tranny has the same gearing as the turbo tranny with the exception of the final drive ratio. I will have a lower top speed but I think it will place less strain on items. I don't plan on doing stop light drags but more of 3rd and 4th gear pulls to show my EVO buddy who's the man. Actually this car is being built for my wife who will not be hard on it at all. I am sure she will lend me the keys once in a while.

Zero10... I have not bought a "kit" yet. I need to collect the computer, wiring harness and accesories. I wanted to make as many parts as possible and then buy the rest. You can see pics of the conversion parts at
http://www.renegadehybrids.com
or if you have any swap questions you can go to
http://www.porschehybrids.com
There is a gallery with pictures of guys conversions. In there you can see the brake boosters they are running and some examples of the cars. Some areas even have movies

Speedy
Old 01-09-2006, 03:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Wow, 9 posts and no flames yet. Amazing!! Robot and I are doing a little home work on a good manual brake setup. Shoot me a pm and I'll give you my home email if you like.
Old 01-09-2006, 03:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
meister member

Garage
I don't think I have ever been flamed. I respect everybody on the board so it must be coming around full circle

Speedy
Old 01-09-2006, 03:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by speedracing944

I need to collect the computer, wiring harness and accesories.

Are you getting the harness and computer from the 93??

I would look for a harness, computer, and distributor from a 95 if possible. Several advantages to the 95 stuff over the 94 and older equipment.

Not too mention, I probably have most of the 95 stuff...

FWIW......if you do use the 93 distributor, check into the corrosion issues with it, and atleast replace the cap and rotor. Its real easy now....... and a real ***** later.
And a whole bunch of German scrap metal shaped like 924's.

Old enough to know better, and stupid enough to do it anyway!
Old 01-09-2006, 03:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
meister member

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Wolf1
Are you getting the harness and computer from the 93??

I would look for a harness, computer, and distributor from a 95 if possible. Several advantages to the 95 stuff over the 94 and older equipment.

Not too mention, I probably have most of the 95 stuff...

FWIW......if you do use the 93 distributor, check into the corrosion issues with it, and atleast replace the cap and rotor. Its real easy now....... and a real ***** later.
Do tell about "I probably have most of the 95 stuff..."

I have a couple of different sources for these things...mostly fbody.com and corvetteforums.com but if I could get what I need from a fellow Pelican...

Speedy
Old 01-09-2006, 05:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Are you sure on the specs of that LT-1 motor? I thought they all produced 200-something horsepower.
You got me thinking on this swap, and now I'm so tempted to drop a nice LS-2 in my 951.... gah! The mod bug has bitten me again, I might as well go burn all my money now.

Seriously though. This is a most interesting conversion that has caught my attention. You can be sure I am following closely

Buy my parts!
Old 01-09-2006, 06:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

meister member

Garage
the Camaro and Firebird are 275 HP. The Vette is 300 HP. I will have to use the Camaro/ Firebird accesory package though because of clearence issues.

Speedy
Old 01-09-2006, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Zero, my friend, check out some LT1/LT4 boards. It is late, I'll dig up some links 2marow. about 400hp is no prob. right off the top of my head, check the Edelbrock cam n top end. $ n area under the curve are hard to beat. LSx even better, 1000 more rpm n 90# lighter but 2g mo$

Choose your poison, welcome to the dark side.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to scheistermeiste Send a message via Yahoo to scheistermeiste
Quote:
Originally posted by Usmellgass2?
Zero, my friend, check out some LT1/LT4 boards. It is late, I'll dig up some links 2marow. about 400hp is no prob. right off the top of my head, check the Edelbrock cam n top end. $ n area under the curve are hard to beat. LSx even better, 1000 more rpm n 90# lighter but 2g mo$

Choose your poison, welcome to the dark side.
youll have to be more specific that just the edelbrock cam. there is more than one grind for these motors.

now this is what id love to throw in a '44.... if i ever won the lottery

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results.cfm?singlepart=1&partnumber=LS7

Asking if you should replace that timing belt is like asking if you should re-use a condom that may have in hole in it with a hooker.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

The parts I was referring to was the Edelbrock RPM Performer kit that included heads, intake and cam. I cant find it now but this is the GM equivalent. Both are priced well under 2500$ Sorry my previous post was written late at night (well...actually after monday night poker with extensive libations).

GM Performance Parts LT4 Conversion KitsTurn your LT1 into the engine it wants to be.

Have an LT1, but want an LT4? GM Performance Parts has what you need. These LT1-to-LT4 conversion kits bring the most out of your factory LT1 engine. The kits include LT4 cylinder heads with valves and springs, a red aluminum LT4 intake manifold, GM Performance Parts' hot cam with 1.6:1 ratio Bow Tie roller rockers, and all necessary gaskets. The result of all of these mods is 425+ proven horsepower! (copyed from the Summit catolog)

Last edited by Usmellgass2?; 01-10-2006 at 05:56 AM..
Old 01-10-2006, 05:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

So, I should be hunting for a LS4?...
A LS2 would be nice. 6.0L is better than 5.7L
I worry about intake manifold clearance however.
The 7.0L is probably a big block, and won't fit in our engine bay.

What would be really nice is to build a LS1 or LS2 to ~400HP, and bring the redline up to a safe 6500RPM. That way it would beat the performance of my 951 motor, but also match the top speed.
It sounds like 400HP is a nice safe reliable HP level for a LS1 or LS2, and I won't really be pushing it to it's limit (I would rather have longevity than another 20HP. This car will still be a daily driver).

Now I need to get on the corvette boards and find a used LS1, LS2, LS4, or LS6.....
I wonder if any other LS series motors would fit?

Damn this thread! I can smell my wallet burning already.

Buy my parts!
Old 01-10-2006, 10:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to bryanthompson Send a message via AIM to bryanthompson Send a message via Yahoo to bryanthompson
These threads come around and I start to get giddy again This morning I had the random thought of getting a part-time job, in addition to my full-time one and being a full-time student, just for more spare $$ for parts.

I want a shortish stroke LT1, with a medium amount of power. I'd like it to match the power curve of my na engine as close as possible. Of course, I know diddly about V8 engines or cam and crank combos.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

A LS4 would be very hard to find. But conversions are just a phone call and a VISA number away. They clear the stock hood just fine. Preditor on the 560 board runs this setup. Lotsa converted cars are in the gallery.

http://www.560sec.com/bulletinboard/index.php
Old 01-10-2006, 10:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Okay, so LS4 sounds too expensive... LS1/6 or LS2 it is
Sounds like the LS1 is ideal, since it's a good bit cheaper and more common than a LS2. Also LS1's are available from lots of engine suppliers as retro-fits to old hotrods, so you don't need to try and fool the ECU's from a new vette into working, since they come with their own....
Damn.

Buy my parts!
Old 01-10-2006, 11:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: