Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

944 to 951 hybrid

My plans on purchasing a tired 951 to merge into my mint 87 944 have changed slightly. I will be taking possesion of a complete 951 engine very soon to install in the 944. I have some questions on compatibilities for those of you in the know.

Wiring: I believe most of the turbo wiring and connectors that are needed in the engine bay and the DME area are already in the 87 944. I just need to install the proper Turbo electronic parts. Someone please enligten me on this if I am wrong.

Clutch: I do not want to change the bell housing and clutch mechanism over to the Turbo unit. With that, can I install a 944 flywheel on the 951 block? Or are they the same already? What am I up againsed here? (Yes, I will be purchasing a good "racing" clutch for the engine.)

Transmission: Already have an S2 transmission installed into the car with a beefed up ring and pinion, but LSD will be on the parts list to get..

This will probably be a year project with the new house taking a good chunk of my time. I want to get the 951 engine completely stripped down and rebuilt before thinking about installing it. But I am excited to get some real HP into my baby.

If anyone can give me any information on this project, like things I need to do or watch out for, let me know. I am a very experienced mechanic with a very well equipped garage.

Please, no bashing. I think we have all heard enough of "just buy a turbo (car)". At least I am refusing to put in a Chebby v-8

"Don't retreat, reload." Sarah Palin
Old 01-10-2006, 04:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
I am envious. This is pretty much my dream project.
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 01-10-2006, 07:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
You need the DME, DME harness, knock control module, AFS, throttle switch. Besides the pressure control related items.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 01-10-2006, 07:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
Well.........this is exactly what I am presently doing.

If you have a complete engine with all the items that Socal mentions then you should be ok. You will be missing some heatshields. You will also need a 951 exhaust system. You wont have the stock boost guage etc.... but it will work just fine..

The harness will just plug in........ This obviously only works with late model NA's 85/2 and up....

The 951 bellhousings are different. Now the flywheel, pressure plate and NA bellhousing will fit........

Unfortunately I dont think you should do this. The NA pressure plate does not have enough clamping force. THe disc will wear quicker. If I were you I would bite the bullet and get the proper set up. Things I would do......

- You can use the existing flywheel. Just have it lightened...
- New pressure plate (stock or KEP)
- Stock release bearing, needle bearings, pilot bearing.
- 951 Cup disc
- you will need the proper bellhousing.

The S2 tranny is a nice match for a 951.........on a stock/modified 951 it will do fine. You will find traction will be a problem when you raise the boost.... A BIG PROBLEM. LSD is what you want but its not cheap.
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 01-10-2006, 08:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

You really need to use the 951 flywheel/clutch/starter ring gear/ and bellhousing setup if you plan to run the 951 DME/KLR engine control. The 951 starter ring gear has more teeth on it than the 944.

And since the ring gear teeth are counted by the engine speed sensor, you would end up with a no start/no run condition if you went with the 944 setup.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
meister member

Garage
sounds like a cool project.

Speedy
Favorite Road = www.tailofthedragon.com 318 turns in 11 miles (11 min 20 sec best run)
Old 01-10-2006, 06:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Thanks for all the information. That is why I love this forum.

"Don't retreat, reload." Sarah Palin
Old 01-11-2006, 04:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: