Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

944 Price check please

Hi All,
Wondering if I can get an idea of value of '86 944 with apparently rebuilt motor and trans but brakes stuck .Don't know if I'm in the market but heard of this car for sale locally.
Haven't gone to see it yet,what should I look for??
I'm not familiar with the 944 more into 911's .
Guy is looking for around $2000 CDN = $1700 US

Thanks ,
Manfred.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Non Compos Mentis

Not enough info for us untill you see the car. It's difficult to establish a fair value if you can't drive it. The price must come down a considerable amount.

Are there records of the rebuilds, or just a verbal "it's been done"?

do you have the excess cash neccessary to bring this car back from it's sorry state? It is probably not a well cared for "creampuff" if the brakes are toast.

If it runs well, the rebuilt engine and tranny are worth close to that if the car was parted out.
Old 01-10-2006, 01:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

what part of ontario are you in, and where is the car? I may be familiar with it...
and always find out the shop he got the work done at, and talk to them and see how the car really is..

2008 Mini Cooper // '83 Porsche 944 // '01 Mazda Protege [sold] //
"Never break more than you fix!" - SoCal Driver
Old 01-10-2006, 01:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Guy's , I realize I'm being a bit vague ,don't have any more info at this stage.
Just trying to get a range of prices as well as what to look for and where.
I agree about getting proof of work performed and will ask for that.
The car is in St. Thomas I'm in Port Stanley ,both are south of London.
Old 01-10-2006, 02:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I'm in mississauga... i dont know this car..
well just go and find out more info on the car.. as much as you can... find out what he says, and what he has proof of... look for water pump work... belt/roller work... bearing work.... brakes (obviously, as you say they're stuck.. i mean find out if it's the caliper.. and if that's the extent of the brake problems or if the rotors/pads need replacing..)

then the obvious things like tires.. take the sunroof off and look at it's seals.. look at the carpets for evidence of mold / water damage (lift up a corner if you can and see if you can find any rusty coloured dirt...) open the hatch and inspect the seals (the sunroof and hatch seals will run you upwards of 100 bucks each).

play with the clutch a bit... the master/slave cylinders are commonly shot on a lot of 944s... some are lucky never to experience problems, and others go through about a set per year...

look in the battery tray for evidence of rust damage.. a hole here will cause interior leaks (and possibly DME damage because the later cars have the DME on the passenger side)...

the best thing you can do is find out all you can and inform us...

$2000 cdn isn't terribly high for a running 944 around here.. it seems to be a sound price.. but think of all the other stuff you've gotta add to it. Me, I paid $3900 for my car.. the engine was rebuilt 5 years ago, the car was resprayed 5 years ago, and the guy replaced all rotors and brake pads before he transfered into my name...

Old 01-10-2006, 05:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Custom User Title

$2000 is cheap, go on UCR and check some of the prices there. If everthing checks out visually get it checked out by Mantis or Hiemrath (if you are around GTA) East ontario try Marcus Blazzak and get the full story as to what will be needed to bring it back to fully glory. 944s may be cheap to buy but labour and the parts will be similar to a 911.

FWIW - I paid $9500 for my cream puff '86 2 years ago.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Thanks for all the great info!!
Hope to have a look today and will give you all the full report.

Manfred.
Old 01-11-2006, 04:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Had a look at the car this afternoon after work .
Light colored interior worn seats, cracked dash body pretty good ,crease in the hood , looks ok for rust so far,dull respray,needs paint . Engine rebuild after broken timing belt and later rebuilt Trans.He is sending me documentation tonight. Brakes are frozen.Sorry for the dark pics.

So Guys tell me what you think !!!

Thanks ,
Manfred

Old 01-11-2006, 05:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Fixable, but if you have the budget and patience, you could do better.
Old 01-11-2006, 05:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

you'll need a new hood badge too.. lol
not a bad car by any means... let us know about the history!

Old 01-11-2006, 06:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to hpaulb
Must be the sudden warm weather up here. Was walking into a shop to get a carb rebuild kit and the shop next door has a 85.5-944 sitting in the lot. Go and ask him about it and he says he has no time for the project and will sell it for 1000. Blown rod so engine is toast. Also an auto. Body looks good but needs a new paint job. So he goes on to tell me another guy was going to buy it to combine it with his shot 84 with a good engine and tranny. He calls and says the other guy may sell his for a 1000. Does the 84 have the same drive train as the 85.5? Mechanic says it is? So both for $2000 can. but would require a lot of work and repair parts as well as a paint job. ??? Mulling it over.. Idea's guys.
03 Altima Tin box
05 Pontiac Sunfire, 64 VW dirt buggy
Old 01-12-2006, 09:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Thumbs up

$2000 is a STEAL!! If you can get not one but both cars for that price then go for it!! I paid $3500 for my 86 na and that was a really good price back in August of 04. I've seen cars that don't even run and have been sitting where the owners demand $3000. I even know of one owner who had a 86 in a accident....insurance write off and after a couple of months of holding to his price, he sold it for $2700!! It just seems that in and around Vancouver 944s are a sellers market. Good luck with your car.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: