Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to bellcw00
Question 1983 944 won't start

I have a 1983 944 that was in storage for awhile and now i can't get it to start. I have my local mechanic working on it, but he was told by the local Porsche dealer that there is some sensor or something on the crank that sends a signal for the plugs to fire. Never heard of that but his is my first foreign car.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Carl
Old 01-12-2006, 08:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

They are the reference sensors. That affects the car beign unable to start.. But it could be the fuel pump if its not turning on. Fuel pump relay when that goes bad nothing starts. Could be soem fuses too.

Heres a good place for you and yer mechanic to check out if yer not the do it yerselfer

www.clarks-garage.com
Go under garage shop manuels and under the letter " E " there is a trouble shooter and lots of other info tht will help
85 325e BMW T-boned R.I.P.
Old 01-12-2006, 08:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Carl there is a set procedre to check out the Bosch 944 injection/ignition system. Search my past posts as I have repeated it several times.

I would replace the timing belt before going any further. When these cars sit for an appreciable amount of time the belt takes a set and does NOT like to be run around the pulleys again. Breaking the belt will cause at least half the valves to bend.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!

Last edited by SoCal Driver; 01-12-2006 at 08:50 AM..
Old 01-12-2006, 08:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Does it sound normal when starting? Let's hope you didn't lose a timing belt trying to crank it.

Does the tach needle bounce when cranking?

I'd also take a look at a new DME relay, that's cheap insurance. Fresh gas is also a good thing.
Old 01-12-2006, 08:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

What does it mean if the tach needle bounces?
14 BMW M5 6spd Stick 1 of 577 F10 less than 300 LCI
Old 01-12-2006, 04:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
It is responding to the DME's grounding of the ignition coil. Thus the reference sensor is sensoring. At least while it's cold.
Old 01-12-2006, 04:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to BananaClip
Quote:
Originally posted by SoCal Driver
It is responding to the DME's grounding of the ignition coil. Thus the reference sensor is sensoring. At least while it's cold.
Is that independant of the DME relay?
Old 01-12-2006, 04:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
No. The first set of contacts in the DME relay have to close to provide power to the DME. This means that the ignition switch is working and providing power to the coil too. The first set of contacts also power the injectors. Like the coil, the DME grounds the injectors to operate them.

Need to check that the fuel pump is running during cranking. This is the second set of contacts in the DME/fuel pump relay.

Other reasons for no start can be disconnected sensors such as the AFS and engine temp sensor. Could also be a bad coil or the coil to dist wire could have broken inside the weather covers at the connectors. A bad fuel pump. Gunked up fuel lines clogging the injectors. Even heard of a golf ball in a fuel tank that would roll around and clog the fuel pump intake.

Last edited by SoCal Driver; 01-12-2006 at 07:04 PM..
Old 01-12-2006, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to bellcw00
Continuing saga of my 1983 944 not starting

Quote:
Originally posted by SoCal Driver
Carl there is a set procedre to check out the Bosch 944 injection/ignition system. Search my past posts as I have repeated it several times.

I would replace the timing belt before going any further. When these cars sit for an appreciable amount of time the belt takes a set and does NOT like to be run around the pulleys again. Breaking the belt will cause at least half the valves to bend.
I appreciate your help and advise and I passed the info to my mechanic that I took the car to, and has been sitting there for 4 months now. He is now telling me that it is the computer that is bad and now I need a new one for about $1700.00 Man, i wish i knew more about these cars to try to do it myself. I guess i need to take it to a more specialized repair facility to double check this. Have you heard of any good Porsche repair places around Texas?

Again, thanks for all your help and advise.
Carl
Old 01-30-2006, 04:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Find another mechanic. Used DME's are around $200. And I bet it's not the DME!
Old 01-30-2006, 04:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Razorback1980
Hey bellcw00,

First welcome to the addiction as someone put it. Best advice I can give you...follow SoCal Drivers advice and recommendations. I think he has a sixth sense about problems like these especially on your year of car. I'm pretty busy right now, but if you don't get it soon, let me know...might be time for a road trip.

1990 944S2 Cabriolet
2002 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
2003 Maroon Ford F350 dually
Old 01-30-2006, 09:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Get another mechanic - 4 months and then wanting to replace the DME!!!! SolCal has given the best advice. You must also buy the Haynes Manual and read the info on Clarks-Garage's website.
I had similar problems. Once it was once the speed and reference sensors, where they plugged into the engine harness and the second time it was the DME relay. These cars are actually a pleasure to work on, and when you get to know then quite eazy to repair.
1975 Benz Sold
1976 Benz Sold
1977 Benz Sold
Old 01-31-2006, 06:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
For $1700 you could fly me to your car, fix it and fly me back.

Old 01-31-2006, 08:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Hey bellcw00, You may just want to counter that offer with an offer you can afford. One thing is for sure...you won't find a more knowlegeable person on your car anywhere. If that was my car and I was having problems I couldn't figure out....well, let's just say, SoCal Driver, watch what you sign yourself up for!

1990 944S2 Cabriolet

Last edited by Razorback1980; 01-31-2006 at 12:39 PM..
Old 01-31-2006, 12:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Have DME Relay.
Will Travel!

I did have this idea of getting a motor home and towing my 944 around the US fixing 944's for a living. Wife didn't like the idea.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
I guess that means you kept the wife and scrapped the idea?

1990 944S2 Cabriolet
Old 01-31-2006, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Not exactly. Still looking for the motorhome. I'll tell the wife when I find it.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Well all right then, don't forget to add it to your signature line. Maybe you should apply for that job at Pelican! You could then work from your motorhome for Pelican through satellite uplink while you travel to the next 944 problem! Get double paid. More money is always better!

1990 944S2 Cabriolet
Old 01-31-2006, 01:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: