Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to fmalgapo
Battery drain then Alarm horn going off for no reason

It seems that since I installed a replacement fan blower relay in my car, and not having driven the car in a week, my battery is dead. I tried charging the battery, and let the car sit overnight. This morning I try to start the car and it cranks 1-1/2 cranks then stops. So I hook up my Craftsman Battery Charger, and about 30min later when i'm sitting in the car, the Alarm horn goes off. Now I don't even have the key to disable it, much less can arm the alarm. I had to disconnect the + terminal to get the alarm to shut off. I thought maybe the horn relay/fuse combo controlled it, then connected the terminal, and the alarm goes off again.

I also notice the inside fans seem to be on constant power as I can turn them on and off with the key out of the ignition? Is that right??

'04 LS430
Old 01-21-2006, 08:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I used to have problems with my car alarm going off in the middle of night.Changed my battery for a new one (i had no receipt for a replacement so i assumed it was the original) and the problem went away.
Old 01-21-2006, 11:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Could be a bad alarm relay.

Try taking the battery out of the car to charge it, then install it when it is fully charged.

The inside fans should not be operating when the key is out of the ignition. You may have a bad X-relay.
We buy 944s and sell 944 parts (845-379-1944)
We rebuild torque tubes and instrument clusters for 944/968/928
Old 01-21-2006, 02:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Hey George!

What is an X-relay?
'04 LS430
Old 01-21-2006, 04:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Sorry, I forgot, there is no relay on the early cars.

The X circuit is the auxiliary circuit which is on when the ignition is on. So, it could be a bad ignition switch or a bad fuse block.
We buy 944s and sell 944 parts (845-379-1944)
We rebuild torque tubes and instrument clusters for 944/968/928
Old 01-21-2006, 05:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Well with the alarm (horn) on constant beep, could that mean the car will now not start because an ignition kill is engaged?

I will remove the battery tonight and charge overnight and see what happens tomorrow morning.

Also i'm not 100% sure its a bad fuseblock. According to my manual and the workshop manuals, there is no fuse or relay in relation to the burglar alarm.

I am still open to suggestions.

Kinda a bummer to my Saturday morning as I had some things to do with the 944 and this brought it all to a grinding halt.
'04 LS430
Old 01-21-2006, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

So yesterday morning, I did a warranty exchange on my Sears Diehard International battery and late last night, threw it in after not being able to sleep knowing my 944 has an idiotic gremlin I didn't figure out this past Saturday. Well I connected the terminals and counted to 30sec...nothing. So content with myself, I put the key in the ignition, shift into Neutral and then HONKKKKKKK!!!

I jumped out and disconnected the new battery scratching my head. Well as a temporary solution, I went in behind the cowl and disconnected the Hella horn responsible for making the alarm sound. Taped off the wiring in the cowl, reconnected the battery and started the car up. So it looks like our factory alarm did not have ignition kill and circumventing is pretty straightforward

I'm still up in the air as to why this happened, best I could figure out is the alarm control module might need replacement. I'm just glad I can work on my car again without fear of causing a ruckus. Now I'm off to find my power drain source if still any.
'04 LS430
Old 01-23-2006, 07:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
todwics solution = took fuse out LOL only set off alarm messin w/battery etc about ummmmmmmmmmmmm 12 times as we all giggled as he raced around looking for keys that were usually in ignition

i have no problems now tho

if i want alarm armed i reach down amongst the miriad of wires and such and put it in lol thank goodness im little i can reach anything under there poor hubby has to lay on ground twist around and try to fit under steering wheel

i swear on passengers side i can actually lay down in footwell area and my head barely rests on seat found that out when todd slammed brakes and poof i slipped under seatbelt somehow and was completely laying in foot area couldnt get my arse up either histerical gigglin and todd cussin like i did it he had to help me out memories lol

Old 01-23-2006, 08:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: