Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to Mike Markota
Pull motor or leave in?

Just debating if I should pull the motor out to do the clutch, oil cooler, bearings, and the other little stuff in there or leave it in? I also have to replace the torque tube...

I've been leaning towards pulling it, but any of you have any suggestions?
Old 01-22-2006, 02:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
If you really want to clean things up and replace seals and gaskets pull it.

If you don't have the time and just need to get it back on the road don't pull it.

In pulling the engine you don't have to drop the trans and the torque tube. Still have to take the bolts out of the bell housing and the sensors off either way. Which can be a PITA in them selves.

Leaving the bell housing in you do have to remove the nine bolts around the pressure plate and leave it in the housing. Or pull the clutch fork cross shaft and take the whole thing out. I prefer to take the nine bolts out as this keeps the front to back length short enough to clear the head light cross bar if you take it out the top.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 01-22-2006, 03:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Mike Markota
I'm gonna need to pull the torque tube to replace it (end of the shaft is stripped) so I also will have to take out the transmission I just put there

So I guess what my question is : Once the torque tube is out, is it even worth taking the motor out to do just the rod bearings and oil cooler seals?

thanks
mike
Old 01-22-2006, 03:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
If you have time you may as well drop the engine.....

It will be easier doing the clutch and the cooler seals at that point......... and you will get to clean up all the other things you are going to find.

The torque may be your biggest PIA at this point.........although you can pull it out by removing 5-7 bolts on either side of the rear suspension.......and just droping it enough to slip the torque through..... yucky job when doing it alone.
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 01-22-2006, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: