Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via ICQ to Zero10
Factory cross-drilled crank

Yesterday I was doing some work on a friend's 83 944 (euro-spec). We changed his rod bearings (and in only 6 hours I might add! No A/C or power steering), and I came across something I found most fascinating. His crankshaft was cross-drilled. The rod bearings I removed were all but trashed, and were stamped 9-82 on the back, so I am about 99.9% sure they are original. I have heard rumors of a factory cross-drilled crank, but never before have I seen one in real life. The oil holes appear smaller than they did when compared to the crank from my 951. It also appears that all 4 rod journals were cross-drilled. I think this is the only reason his rod bearings weren't completely trashed. #2 was burned, but not entirely worn out, #1 and #3 had some scratches, and were down to the second layer of metal, but #4 was the worst. It had some deep grooves, extending all the way down into the copper layer. Amazingly there was virtually no crank damage. I could see some very very fine scratches, but I couldn't feel any of them with my fingernail. The owner of the car complained of low oil pressure, and after all of the cheap (and easy) fixes had been exhausted, we dug in to the rod bearings. I expect that his oil pressure is much better now, but I had to rush home after finishing to write up a physics lab report, so I was not able to observe his warm oil pressure.

I feel like I have just seen a little piece of history, and thought I would share

Buy my parts!
Old 01-23-2006, 07:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Archaeological mechanics. I love it. I wonder if Howard Carter felt a bit like you did... I've been on journeys of discovery myself, but usually only find areas that were botched by some PO.

BTW, what was "low oil pressure" for him? How many bar at idle warm?
'80 924 - spouse's yellowjacket.
Some wrecks and a 924 racer.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Zero10
~0.5 bar with intermittent oil pressure warning light.
He had to keep his foot on the gas (revs at ~1500RPM) to get the light to shut off sometimes. This was on 15W50 Mobil 1.

It's crazy. Most of the rod bearings were burned very badly. They had blue patches, and some black markings on the back. Also found a lot of varnish and sludge inside of the engine. Cleaned what we could from the bottom, but it's going to need a good flush as well. IMO this car was driven hard when in Germany (where it resided until 2002). I think the cross-drilled crank is the only reason why the original rod bearings survived this long.
The one thing that puzzled me, is that there was a cross-hatched scratch pattern on the back of the bearings, and inside of the rod caps. Definately not from spun bearings.

Buy my parts!
Old 01-23-2006, 09:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: