Pelican Parts Forums

Pelican Parts Forums (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/)
-   Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-924-944-968-technical-forum/)
-   -   924 Turbo header panel on 951 (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-924-944-968-technical-forum/262667-924-turbo-header-panel-951-a.html)

carolinatrophy 01-24-2006 07:08 AM

924 Turbo header panel on 951

Has anyone fitted a factory 924 Turbo header panel (with the four oval vents) to a 944 Turbo? I just bought a used 924 Turbo header panel for the swap, but it hasn't arrived yet and I am wondering if the front radius has a diffferent curve, or perhaps if the headlamp covers are a slightly different shape...

Or is it a direct swap?

Anyone know what I'm in for when it comes to fitting this thing? If not, I'll post me experienced soon...

prooutlaw 01-24-2006 07:33 AM

The Header panel and the Headlamp covers are a different shape and will not align with the Turbo Bumper.
Hate to be the Bearer of bad news.

carolinatrophy 01-24-2006 07:36 AM

Grrrr... I have the seen this swap on other 944 Turbos. Any idea how it is done? Do you think they are using just the vents, and cutting out holes in the stock header panel?

prooutlaw 01-24-2006 08:13 AM

Either they are just using the Vents or there are Fiberglass panels available.
Do like me cut a rectangular hole and round the ends on the Turbo Panel

carolinatrophy 01-24-2006 08:27 AM

Yeah, except I specifically want a very "factory" style of appearance, and the 924 Turbo vents give that. I'm not a fan of the looks of the aftermarket header panels.

I'll see what I can do with this thing when it arrives...

prooutlaw 01-24-2006 08:59 AM

Ok, good luck
You can always ride up and look at mine , it's not that far

Eldorado 01-24-2006 09:47 AM

you want a 951 with a factory appearance so you're installing a 931 style nose panel?
ok...
well, if that's the look you're after, i suggest just cutting the holes yourself, or buy another 951 nose piece and cut those and paint to match.. might be slightly more expensive in the end, but at least you wont end up with a munched up 951 nose piece and no replacement.

tifosiman 01-24-2006 12:38 PM

Actually, you can cut the section of the 931 header panel out that has the four vents in it (so you have a long rectangular piece), then cut the same sort of rectangle in the 951 header panel and graft that piece in there. You'll have to do a little finish work to make it look correct, but then the vents, the curves of the openings, and the vent supports will be correct-looking. There was a guy on another forum that did this and it looked good.

nynor 01-24-2006 12:53 PM

my .02:

just have holes cut in the existing panel and call it a day. cheap, easy, guaranteed to fit.

Capri22racer 01-24-2006 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by tifosiman
Actually, you can cut the section of the 931 header panel out that has the four vents in it (so you have a long rectangular piece), then cut the same sort of rectangle in the 951 header panel and graft that piece in there. You'll have to do a little finish work to make it look correct, but then the vents, the curves of the openings, and the vent supports will be correct-looking. There was a guy on another forum that did this and it looked good.
Yeah, I have seen that done too. Pretty easy for body shop guy that welds and knows what he's doing.

The problem with just cutting holes a calling it day is it looks bad and cheesy. You would need to roll the edges and fabricate the mounting tabs. See pic.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1138140645.jpg

AaronM 01-24-2006 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by tifosiman
Which is exactly what I plan on doing when I finally get around to repairing my current header panel (has a dent in it from a parking lot incident when the PO had it parked somewhere). I figure that since I'll have to have the header panel off the car and re-painted anyway I might as well have someone graft the 931 vents into it as well.